OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's wider shots of the house and location of the future tank... the white wall near the wall of sliding glass doors.
That wall is about 73" long. A 60" tank should fit nicely there.
If you go back to the beginning of this build, that's actually where I was thinking of placing the Elos originally.
But now this wall got quite a bit larger since it was built out to accommodate the cabinetry.

i-BWz69pJ-XL.jpg

i-VsL4DZj-XL.jpg

i-sMbVSGw-XL.jpg

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's wider shots of the house and location of the future tank... the white wall near the wall of sliding glass doors.
That wall is about 73" long. A 60" tank should fit nicely there.
If you go back to the beginning of this build, that's actually where I was thinking of placing the Elos originally.
But now this wall got quite a bit larger since it was built out to accommodate the cabinetry.

i-BWz69pJ-XL.jpg

i-VsL4DZj-XL.jpg

i-sMbVSGw-XL.jpg

A beautiful home. Well done Sir. I loved your ELOS setup, I followed it from the beginning starting a few years ago.

I went with a custom tank this round and the process was so smooth and I got exactly what I wanted, that I can't imagine not going custom in the future. I think it gets a bad rep, but there are some stellar vendors.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A beautiful home. Well done Sir. I loved your ELOS setup, I followed it from the beginning starting a few years ago.

I went with a custom tank this round and the process was so smooth and I got exactly what I wanted, that I can't imagine not going custom in the future. I think it gets a bad rep, but there are some stellar vendors.
Thanks! :)

Custom gets a bad rep??? My previous several builds were all custom. :cool:
I only went with the Elos this time because I just didn't feel like dealing with the wait and they had a dimension that worked for me.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So since I won't have a big tank for a few months I decided to set up a simple Betta tank with a few plants in the interim. :)

It's an Utum Nature Systems 30c (approx. 12x12x12)
Lighting is the ONF Flat Nano. Filtration is just a wee little sponge filter. And a heater.
Some moss and a couple other plants, not a lot in this tank.
And the star of the show... a Nemo Galaxy Koi Betta.
Been set up for about a week and just got the plants in last night.

Brought home the tank and aquascaping materials from ADG Houston...

i-6kZ4VcF-X2.jpg

Got it set up and in place and running.... Dawg for scale. :D

i-7JJHvZ9-XL.jpg

And now...

i-W7pKLD3-XL.jpg

i-GP3tRWq-X2.jpg

i-sVcKvKL-XL.jpg

i-3m7Rnhf-XL.jpg

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So since I won't have a big tank for a few months I decided to set up a simple Betta tank with a few plants in the interim. :)

It's an Utum Nature Systems 30c (approx. 12x12x12)
Lighting is the ONF Flat Nano. Filtration is just a wee little sponge filter. And a heater.
Some moss and a couple other plants, not a lot in this tank.
And the star of the show... a Nemo Galaxy Koi Betta.
Been set up for about a week and just got the plants in last night.

Brought home the tank and aquascaping materials from ADG Houston...

i-6kZ4VcF-X2.jpg

Got it set up and in place and running.... Dawg for scale. :D

i-7JJHvZ9-XL.jpg

And now...

i-W7pKLD3-XL.jpg

i-GP3tRWq-X2.jpg

i-sVcKvKL-XL.jpg

i-3m7Rnhf-XL.jpg

I’ve always wanted to do a nano planted tank I just shudder at the thought of having to maintain another tank lol.

Well done sir...

As for your kitchen [emoji1362]. wow. Looks amazing

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck on planted tanks. To me, an elite planted tank is more difficult and labor intensive than an sps reef is. I liken sps reef keeping to fitness. Provide correct building blocks, put in the work, have patience, and you’ll look good (or better). It’s just a matter of time.

A nice nature, iwagumi, or Dutch aquascape is more like painting, or playing an instrument. You’ve either got it or you don’t. There’s just that extra element of talent from an artistic standpoint I definitely did not have.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A nice nature, iwagumi, or Dutch aquascape is more like painting, or playing an instrument. You’ve either got it or you don’t. There’s just that extra element of talent from an artistic standpoint I definitely did not have.
Yeah, the aquascaping is my favorite part of aquariums so the (almost) instant scape of nature aquariums is very appealing to me. :)
People seem to change them up often, too.
My struggle will be that i have zero understanding of the various plant types, their requirements, etc. So huge learning curve there.
And if you think coral names are hard to remember... plant names are insanely difficult! lol

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if you think coral names are hard to remember... plant names are insanely difficult! lol
You should work on renaming them and selling them at a massive profit.
If people will spend $10 on a Marsilea Hirsuta just think how much they would spend on that same plant if you renamed it a D2M Lumbering Hulk!

Hey... it works in the coral world.... :rolleyes:

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should work on renaming them and selling them at a massive profit.
If people will spend $10 on a Marsilea Hirsuta just think how much they would spend on that same plant if you renamed it a D2M Lumbering Hulk!

Hey... it works in the coral world.... :rolleyes:
Don't think that hasn't crossed my mind! :D ;Hilarious

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big problem with plant names as they use the Latin names instead common names for the most part.
Plants also grow fast so they are always being cut and trimmed and you end up with tons on cuttings that live and grow. Where as corals have tenancy to stun and die [emoji3]

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful home, beautiful freshwater planted tank, can’t wait to see the new SW tank:)

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful home, beautiful freshwater planted tank, can’t wait to see the new SW tank:)
Thank you. :)
You'll have a long wait on that, though. The big tank is going to be fw planted, too. ;)

Spanky05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey D2,

With your Elos, what did you do re the drain control to make it silent?

Got mine wet a few days ago and it’s not noisy by any means but it will have a slight gurgle every now and then. Did you use your gate valve or the top control panel more to zero it in? Currently running w the gate valve 100% open and the drain control on the top at 50%.

I realize it may take a week or 2 for it to break in but was curious where you made your adjustments.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey D2,

With your Elos, what did you do re the drain control to make it silent?

Got mine wet a few days ago and it’s not noisy by any means but it will have a slight gurgle every now and then. Did you use your gate valve or the top control panel more to zero it in? Currently running w the gate valve 100% open and the drain control on the top at 50%.

I realize it may take a week or 2 for it to break in but was curious where you made your adjustments.
Gate valve on the drain above my sump. I left the Elos drain control on top of the overflow at 100% open and just used the gate valve to control the flow. With the water level around the water level marking on the side glass of the overflow it was silent.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back