d2mini's "Essential Focus" Mixed Reef Build

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been great seeing your amazing tanks! But...I know the struggle...I had always done planted tanks for years before switching. Over the past 2-3 yrs during struggles with my tanks have wondered if I should switch back over. They do have their challenges but can be as amazing as reef tanks.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this but I can totally understand. I say you start a build thread here as well as a planted forum. I know I would love to follow along. I love a nice planted aquarium and if anything he can pull it off I think you can.

Any plans as far as size yet?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm going to get out of reefing (for now) while I'm ahead and jump into a different part of the hobby. This may actually seem backwards to many of you, but I'm going to give freshwater planted a try. Nature Aquariums... Amano style.
upload_2019-2-19_11-16-18.jpeg

So I'll still be hanging around! And I'm not saying I won't be back with another reef build at some point. I just need something different for awhile.

Oh.. well it's all good then. Can't wait to see what you do with the planted tank. Hope you keep documenting it on this thread. We'll tell Daniel and Rev that you are dealing with an algae outbreak if they raise any objections. ;)

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That kitchen is beautiful. Very modern, perfectly balanced textures and color. Not at all surprised with the eye you and your wife both enjoy for that sort of thing. Row and rows of drawers? Filled with jealousy. Drawers are the way to go!
Thanks! And yes... drawers rock. :) We went from not enough storage to more than we know what to do with. You don't realize how tall those side cabinets are!! And that's on top of all the drawers. lol
We'll be storing a lot of non-kitchen stuff up high, things we don't need to access often! haha

Any plans as far as size yet?
Ideally I wanted a 5' tank but that size is hard to come by in a non-reef tank. I want rimless with clear silicone.
Looks like I'll have to settle for 47x23" which is the same length I have now, it just won't have the depth of my Elos.
The next size up is 72" or so and that's a little too long for the space I have.

upload_2019-2-19_11-16-18.jpeg

Oh.. well it's all good then. Can't wait to see what you do with the planted tank. Hope you keep documenting it on this thread. We'll tell Daniel and Rev that you are dealing with an algae outbreak if they raise any objections. ;)

LOL!!!! :D

Indiana Reefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hate to see you take a break Dennis. But sometimes taking a break from a reef tank is a good thing. You will be back. There will be new technologies that you won’t be able to resist. Hats off to your success in this wonderful hobby. Good luck in freshwater planted. I have always loved a planted tank with a ton neon tetras and discus

jporter17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW, the kitchen should be in Better Homes and Gardens. Great job! Will miss your tank updates and hope the new endeavor is as successful for you. JP

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not use a reef tank and hide every thing in a sump? I want to that for our axolotl tank.
I've gone back and forth on this.
For one, I'd prefer clear silicone for planted. Pretty much every reef ready tank is black.
And two, I don't want an overflow in the way. Elos has the tiny corner overflows but black silicone.

So I'm looking at Ultum Nature Systems...
ADG carries these and makes their own custom stands for them.
http://ultumnaturesystems.com/rimless-glass-tanks/

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!
During the remodel I've had time to do something thinking about what I want to do when it's time to move the tank back into the main part of the house.
What I finally decided is not what I expected when we started.
The short of it is.... I'm taking down the tank. ;Jawdrop

EXPLANATION: I've been in the reef side of the hobby for more than a decade now. It's been amazing. I've never immersed myself into a hobby that deeply and for that long ever before. I've met some awesome people both online and in person, many becoming good friends. There's been up and downs, but I don't really remember the downs. Many of you have followed me through several builds, several home moves, have even seen us bring two awesome kids into the world, and sometimes the hobby. haha. I've learned so much from all of you, and I'm thrilled to have given back over the years and love it when someone tells me they've gained a thing or two from reading my build threads. I've even had the opportunity to work with and be sponsored by several of the big names in the hobby. It's truly been a blast. So it's for all these reasons that I don't really want to leave the hobby. The problem is... this past year or so has started feeling old hat. I can do this. Trimming colonies of SPS is almost becoming a chore. I'm just going through the motions. I realized what I need is a new challenge!

So I'm going to get out of reefing (for now) while I'm ahead and jump into a different part of the hobby. This may actually seem backwards to many of you, but I'm going to give freshwater planted a try. Nature Aquariums... Amano style.
This will be new for me, lots to learn. In typical d2mini fashion I'll be jumping in with both feet. High tech and all that. I've already been doing some research and I think I've decided on a tank/stand. We have a pretty incredible store here in Houston called Aquarium Design Group (ADG).

There's just ONE problem... @revhtree doesn't run a planted aquarium forum!! :(:(:( The planted forums are all so ;Bored in comparison.
So I'll still be hanging around! And I'm not saying I won't be back with another reef build at some point. I just need something different for awhile.

THANKS ALL!!!
Let the stoning begin. :D

And here's a repost of the last vid I made of the tank...

[emoji22] [emoji22] [emoji22] [emoji22] [emoji22] [emoji22]

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!
During the remodel I've had time to do something thinking about what I want to do when it's time to move the tank back into the main part of the house.
What I finally decided is not what I expected when we started.
The short of it is.... I'm taking down the tank. ;Jawdrop

EXPLANATION: I've been in the reef side of the hobby for more than a decade now. It's been amazing. I've never immersed myself into a hobby that deeply and for that long ever before. I've met some awesome people both online and in person, many becoming good friends. There's been up and downs, but I don't really remember the downs. Many of you have followed me through several builds, several home moves, have even seen us bring two awesome kids into the world, and sometimes the hobby. haha. I've learned so much from all of you, and I'm thrilled to have given back over the years and love it when someone tells me they've gained a thing or two from reading my build threads. I've even had the opportunity to work with and be sponsored by several of the big names in the hobby. It's truly been a blast. So it's for all these reasons that I don't really want to leave the hobby. The problem is... this past year or so has started feeling old hat. I can do this. Trimming colonies of SPS is almost becoming a chore. I'm just going through the motions. I realized what I need is a new challenge!

This will be new for me, lots to learn. In typical d2mini fashion I'll be jumping in with both feet. High tech and all that. I've already been doing some research and I think I've decided on a tank/stand. We have a pretty incredible store here in Houston called Aquarium Design Group (ADG).

There's just ONE problem... @revhtree doesn't run a planted aquarium forum!! :(:(:( The planted forums are all so ;Bored in comparison.

THANKS ALL!!!
Let the stoning begin. :D

And here's a repost of the last vid I made of the tank...

Please don’t go [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24].

You have been an inspiration for me ever since I started the reefing addiction. House looks amazing and I am sure in a few years planted tank people will be saying “I am going to build a d2mini style planted tank”.

Best of luck!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back