d2mini's "Essential Focus" Mixed Reef Build

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3357.JPG
Dennis, is essential focus still an appropriate title for your tank? lol. I made progress on mine so I am feeling all cocky I guess...lol. Here is my oldest son putting the finishing buffins on mine.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, that's one way to do it. :D

And yes... that title is all about keeping things simple, using good quality equipment, and only what I feel is necessary. :)

I can't do fancy acros, light mainly, keeping it simple has a lot to say for itself! :)

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that you have the camera in video mode we need an entire tank update video! haha That is a heck of a tumble!

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dennis how are you achieving your tumble? An is a tumble better than static algae? Always love to hear peoples reasons behind why they do something.:)

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome... getting dizzy watching this tumble

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dennis how are you achieving your tumble? An is a tumble better than static algae? Always love to hear peoples reasons behind why they do something.:)
I started tumbling cheato years ago for better, more consistent growth. When that stuff gets too thick, light isnt getting to the center or bottom side. By tumbling it, it gets much more even amount of light. Think of a rotisserie chicken. ;)
Plus it helps keep detritus from settling, for whatever that's worth.
Now what I'm not sure about is effects on other things like pod production. I know that when I used to tumble my big ball of cheato that would fill up a 3 gallon bucket, i could look through the front window of the fuge and watch the pods crawling through the cheato as it tumbled passed my view. But did I then or do I now have less than I would have if the macro was sitting still on the bottom? Maybe? ;Bookworm

The water enters the fuge through a spray bar located at the top front and points back/down a bit. I just rotated the spray bar until i got it to tumble. No additional pumps needed. And there is no rock or substrate for the macros to catch on.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious how much noise the Kamoer FX-STP pump makes. Thanks.

Dave
A little but not much. But now it makes zero noise! Two weeks into ownership i got some water in the bottom of my stand. The pump's casing is completely unsealed. It's a solid piece of bent metal that is scored in the corner so it will bend 90 degrees. Water got inside and fried the electrical board. So i've been back to a standard pump and needle valve. They don't make parts available. :(
Eventually I'll get another but didn't feel like dropping another $250 now.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I've been baaaaaad about posting videos of this build.
Here's a quickie of the refugium tumbling lots of Dragon's Breath macro. :)

Now that is impressive, I love your tank and corals, more people should use macros in which ever way they see fit.
I use most caulerpa, it prefers higher flow, it would love your tumbler! ;)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 49 83.1%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.1%
Back