D2Mini's Photo Tip #2 - "What Camera Should I Get?"

  • Thread starter Thread starter d2mini
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Any thoughts on best lens for a Canon 6D? My wife is a professional studio / portrait photographer and the 6D is pretty versatile -105mm with a long lens?
 
I just decided to give lightroom a try with the 7 day free trial. First time breaking the nikon d5300 out in a while. I know there is a learning curve with any new software but I have to say that for me personally I'd rather be using photoshop cs5. I haven't found enough benefit for an amateur photographer to pay that much monthly and never own the actual program.
 
Lightroom is subscription only now, you can't purchase it outright.
That suuuuuuuuucks! I had a feeling that was going to happen which is why I bit the bullet and bought it a couple years back. Microsoft is trying to force that with Office now too. No thanks!
 
This is a great article on a question that gets asked regularly.
 
I Already Have Canon 600D with 100mm Macro and 50 mm, I am looking for a decent lens but not too pricey up to 200$ which can give good full tank shot, I was using 18-55 mm kit lens for FTS until it was broken.
 
I Already Have Canon 600D with 100mm Macro and 50 mm, I am looking for a decent lens but not too pricey up to 200$ which can give good full tank shot, I was using 18-55 mm kit lens for FTS until it was broken.
How about a straight 50mm 1.8, $129. The good ole nifty fifty.
 
Uhp, sorry. I see that now. I spit that out as a knee-jerk reaction because so many people Overlook that lens. I can just get my 5ft tank in with mine. If I back up to the front door.
 
Uhp, sorry. I see that now. I spit that out as a knee-jerk reaction because so many people Overlook that lens. I can just get my 5ft tank in with mine. If I back up to the front door.

so what other lens options do I have ?
 
I have very limited experience with cameras and lenses. I have some, but limited. I would go with what you were getting with your kit lens. If you pulled it all the way back to 18 millimeters, did you have enough room to play. If so maybe the 24 mm 2.8 here.http://www.bestbuy.com/site/canon-e...ffcode=pg174576&ksdevice=m&lsft=ref:212,loc:2
being that you are shooting into a lighted tank, I don't believe you would need a super fast and expensive lens. I would wait and see who else times in. This might be better suited for D2mini or #saltyfilmfolks. Good luck, I'm interested in what they have to offer also.
 
I've been thinking about "diving in" to the photography aspect of the hobby. Really tired of my iPad, iPhone images. I thought about finding the camera body I'd like to use and then finding a good deal on a preowned. When I look at the ads they list shutter counts. Can you expand on this, why the shutter count is important and how you can tell the info is accurate? Is there a count meter? Thank you
 
I have a Nikon D7200 camera I've been looking a lot lately into purchasing a macro lens I know the Tamron 90 has been highly recommended (especially on here) I've also been contemplating the Sigma - 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM All-in-One Zoom Lens

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sigma-...-lens-for-nikon-black/9889572.p?skuId=9889572

Does anyone have any input as to justify the difference (especially the price) between these two and which would be better over all as well as if one is better for a starter lens?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Mike
 
I have a Nikon D7200 camera I've been looking a lot lately into purchasing a macro lens I know the Tamron 90 has been highly recommended (especially on here) I've also been contemplating the Sigma - 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM All-in-One Zoom Lens

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sigma-...-lens-for-nikon-black/9889572.p?skuId=9889572

Does anyone have any input as to justify the difference (especially the price) between these two and which would be better over all as well as if one is better for a starter lens?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Mike
A better macro generally has a fixed focal length. For most people the difference wouldn't be noticeable. (me especially). The tamron has a f stop capable of 2.8 I believe. This will give you such a narrow depth of field. I prefer f9 or f12 for my coral shots. That big f value(2.8) is where the extra cost comes in. Not needed imo.

I personally am a big fan of sigma lenses and have a pretty fast one for kids ball games. I think you could get as good a picture if not better with the Tele photo. Look at minimum focus distant. That comes into play more for me.

Just my limited experience. I'm sure there are some with better opinions, but no one has replied yet.

Best of luck to you.
 
A better macro generally has a fixed focal length. For most people the difference wouldn't be noticeable. (me especially). The tamron has a f stop capable of 2.8 I believe. This will give you such a narrow depth of field. I prefer f9 or f12 for my coral shots. That big f value(2.8) is where the extra cost comes in. Not needed imo.

I personally am a big fan of sigma lenses and have a pretty fast one for kids ball games. I think you could get as good a picture if not better with the Tele photo. Look at minimum focus distant. That comes into play more for me.

Just my limited experience. I'm sure there are some with better opinions, but no one has replied yet.

Best of luck to you.

Which sigma lens would you recommend for my Nikon?

Sorry, I'm just getting into this photography thing so a lot of it is foreign lingo to me, lol.
 
In my opinion, the one you are looking at should be a good all around lens. It depends if you want a lens that does macro excellently or one that does macro well enough, but can also be used for other photo opportunities.

I'm not really a Nikon guy, but they have lots of options. Maybe to many. That's why you posted.

I have a Canon 100 mm f2.8L lens I use for macro. It is only good for that and some special portraiture shots. It was about an $800 lens new. Can I tell the difference between that and a more cost friendly lens? No. But I'm not a pro, just a hobbiest that loves taking pics of corals. At that price point its hard to justify sometimes.

If you want a good macro specific lens at a better deal, You might be able to find a good used lens thru some online camera shops like B&H Photo or Adorama. They may have the tamron 90 mm lens at a good deal.bTalk to their reps and see where they would point you.

Whatever you get just practice and get good with it. If you have trouble dialing it in, just start a thread here. More people might see it If you start your own. I've gotten great advice here and have gotten some decent shots.

b8bb1cab366cbad5351f45e91b3ab06f.jpg


4fd7bd392985ca74df2436f5e691d19a.jpg
 
Which sigma lens would you recommend for my Nikon?

Sorry, I'm just getting into this photography thing so a lot of it is foreign lingo to me, lol.

I use a Sigma 105mm macro lens and it's brilliant, rarely use anything else for aquarium photography, it's just so versatile (bar FTS unless you can see your tank from down the street!)

Will wholeheartedly recommend looking into that lens.
 
This is a bit freaky. I own the same 2 cameras! I use my Olympus underwater (in housing) and for tank and street stuff - D800 for theater, dance etc
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new