da6d2003 new tank project

da6d2003

Definately OCD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be my next LONG term project. I've been thinking about doing this for a long time. I figure if I make it public then it will force me to do something about it.

I'm just starting this thread as a diary for myself and I'm hoping to get some feed back on the setup as I start to make decisions.

Tank dimentions will be 72 x 30 x 24tall. 1" acrylic with eurobrace.
2 corner overflows using herbie stand pipes.
2 tunze streams on wavysea (haven't decided on pump size yet)
2 stacked returns on wavysea
return pump(undecided)
This is a basic rendering of the tank itself and the beginings of the plumbing.
I'll be adding to it as time goes on.
Any feedback is appreciated.

newtank1-1.jpg

grisha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good luck... what livestock do you see there?

OP
OP
da6d2003

da6d2003

Definately OCD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as I have now just more room to spread out. It's a pretty mixed tank. Only softies are rics and zoas though.

jessp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be cool to incorporate a hole in the overflows for the tunzes.

OP
OP
da6d2003

da6d2003

Definately OCD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks sweet. What are you thinking for lighting? Also have you thought about a full tank length type external overflow box? I've seen em refered to as calfo style overflows as well.

point me to some reading. I haven't thought about that at all.

OP
OP
da6d2003

da6d2003

Definately OCD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason I can't seem to find any pictures of what I'm talking about. They are also reffered to as coast to coast overflows. If you google it you will find lots of info, just not lots of pictures. Basically the idea is that the more surface are you on the water you skim off, the better filtration you will get. Also they usually put the overflow on the back of your tank so it's external. Then the teeth for your overflow are actually just on the back wall of your tank. It's super clean looking, you won't even see an overflow when you looking into the tank.

I'll keep looking to find some pictures of what I'm talking about, maybe someone around here has one?

I found some info in it. I really want to use the herbie standpipe setup and I don't see a way to make this work without doing it the full height of the tank. Hmmmmm....

OP
OP
da6d2003

da6d2003

Definately OCD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be cool to incorporate a hole in the overflows for the tunzes.

I don't totally understand. :confused: Not suprizing, I'm easily confused.;)

The tunzes are going to be on a rotating platform. So I don't know how this will work either.

tacocat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't totally understand. :confused: Not suprizing, I'm easily confused.;)

The tunzes are going to be on a rotating platform. So I don't know how this will work either.

Are you deadset on this? It's one thing to do Maxi-jets on a WavySea, but full sized Tunzes may wreak havoc on your tank. Basically, you'd endup with two no acro zones 6" in front of your rotating tunzes due to the Tunzes' ability to strip flesh.

I'd say go with two 6100s in a stationary mount controlled by a multicontroller or Aquasurf. I'd recommend hiding them as well. This persona does a good job of hiding them behind the cabinet work.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-07/totm/index.php

As far as overflows go, this is what I was referring to when I was talking about external standpipes. This setup will allow you to only have the elbow in the tank for a low profile coast to coast overflow.
http://www.rl180reef.com/pages/standpipe/standpipe-doug_closeup.htm

BTW, can I have your moray?

tacocat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
return pump(undecided)

I'd go with a Dart because it is quite, inexpensive, energy efficient, and they are easy to find in stock in case of an emergency. A Snapper would be a wise choice as well.

FWIW, those tank dimensions will NOT be suitable for a moray.

OP
OP
da6d2003

da6d2003

Definately OCD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you deadset on this? It's one thing to do Maxi-jets on a WavySea, but full sized Tunzes may wreak havoc on your tank. Basically, you'd endup with two no acro zones 6" in front of your rotating tunzes due to the Tunzes' ability to strip flesh.

I'd say go with two 6100s in a stationary mount controlled by a multicontroller or Aquasurf. I'd recommend hiding them as well. This persona does a good job of hiding them behind the cabinet work.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-07/totm/index.php

As far as overflows go, this is what I was referring to when I was talking about external standpipes. This setup will allow you to only have the elbow in the tank for a low profile coast to coast overflow.
http://www.rl180reef.com/pages/standpipe/standpipe-doug_closeup.htm

BTW, can I have your moray?

2 stationary tunzes, check. Very good points.
Coast to coast, roger that. I need to do some tinkering with the design to see how much space will be needed and avilable.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back