Damaged new frag. What should I go?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tanggy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Tanggy

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 14, 2017
Messages
441
Reaction score
293
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty new to SPS. A bought a few frags and glued it. Unfortunately one of the frag was not glue properly and it fell onto a goniopora down below. This is what it looks like. Can it recover? If not can i section it at the furcation area and save the good side? Thanks.

IMG_0798.jpg IMG_0799.jpg
 
It looks like it may have been stung. The rest of the frag should be fine, the stung part may grow back. if it doesn't the rest of the frag may grow back over it. If you start to see some algae growing on the stung part then I would just frag that section with a pair of bone cutters.
 
Just thought of something, do you have any dip with iodine in it, or maybe some revive. It could help relieve some stress and help it recover. I would wait a day or two before dipping it though.
 
If it looks ok and hasn’t been actively receding then I would just leave it or st most cut the dead off. A few drops of lugols is good in a dip for corals that have been stung or hurt or anything like that can be a good but handling it again and dipping it now after it’s already settled could just irritate it more. Best to handle that right when something happens. Just keep an eye on it.
 
I’ve seen it go both ways if you leave it alone. Sometimes it spreads and sometimes it stops and grows back over stung part. But (and this is purely anecdotal), I seem to have experienced better survival rates if you cut off the dead portion. That piece, I’d probably cut it right where the two branches fork.
 
You can cut it but I would wait two weeks to see what happens. Could stress it even more if you cut now. It might come back in a little time.
 
Thanks for all your replies. The incident happened 3 days ago. I've been keeping a very close eye on it. If the bleaching seems to be getting worse or close to the branching point, i would cut off the dead piece. Hopefully it will recover.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new