Damselfish identification help

VAReefDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So earlier this month I purchased a captive bred azure damselfish (Chrysiptera hemicyanea)
from a LFS near me. At least I ordered an azure and was told it was an azure when it was sold to me.
It was quarantined, is getting along with the rest of its tank mates for last few weeks-- but I am worried it is actually a different type of damselfish - based on body shape/color- maybe Pomacentrus?
The yellow color is confined to the tail only and the body seems elongated for an azure.
Any thoughts?

51411559606_111b5f7daa_z.jpg

Below is a picture from liveaquaria captive bred azure damsel for comparison
Azure Damselfish

Can anybody help to ID my damsel?
Thank you in advance.
Greg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels can be tough to ID (at least for me). This doesn’t look like C. hemicyanea to me. Could be C. cyanea though. Lots of variability in that species, and then captive raised can introduce color variables as well.

Jay

OP
OP
VAReefDog

VAReefDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Jay Hemdal. I decided on an azure damselfish (Chrysiptera hemicyanea) since they are supposed to be less aggressive. So far this one is is doing ok with its tank mates so I guess I will wait and see.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember seeing P. Coelestis in shallow water in Taiwan. They were usually found among larger groups of Sergeant Majors and Neopomacentrus Lyretail damsels (not sure about the exact species but the ones I saw were all black). These fish handle just about any kind of water quality.

OP
OP
VAReefDog

VAReefDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Zionas and scchase- at least from the reading on the biota site if it is Pomacentrus pavo- it seems like a less aggressive and more mellow damsel. I will see if he changes his color pattern as he ages. Thanks for the input.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back