Daniel’s Reef

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers!

I ordered an Innovative Marine 30L with APS stand about a month ago…

Well, guess what!?

It finally arrived in one piece thanks to our friends at UPS and I was able to get it set up.

Here’s what I got going…

-IM30L AIO with APS stand

-Kessil AP9X with mount arm

-2 AI Nero 3’s

-Cobalt 100W heater

-JBJ nano ATO

-IM mightyjet return pump

I plan to use two custom media baskets for the left and right sides. They are currently being made by a friend. Excited about those coming soon!

I just started the cycling process today after getting things set up last night. I have a pico tank that I seeded this new tank with. I really don’t expect much from adding the filter sock, but at least it’s seeded with something. I also chose to do the fish less cycle using Dr. Tim’s with his delicious ammonia. Hopefully things will kickstart and get going. As mentioned before in another post, this will be the first time that I have two tanks running at once. It will be a new experience for me that I’m excited about. Especially the water changes:)

I’m really happy with how the tank and stand go together. I had this spot in my bedroom picked out for a while now. The APS stand was worrying me at first, but after a few F bombz and a call to IM tech support, I was able to do some woosaaaa and get it going. As far as the lighting and wavemakers, I was able to set up both up wirelessly without any issue. The AP9X fits great over this tank, and provides excellent coverage all around. I can’t wait to see what some of my corals look like under it. I also like that the pucks are recessed, completely eliminating the light shining in your eyes if you’re sitting next to it. Once connected to WiFi, the AP9X automatically synced my light schedule over from my 360X on the pico.:) The Nero 3’s are mounted on the overflow and are both set on random mode. These were also very easy to connect through WiFi. I am really impressed with the Kessil and AI apps for your phone.

I think that’s about it for now! I have some pics below to check out! Thanks for reading.:)

F34F0A1A-1EC6-4033-8132-9663E153BB8B.jpeg

BB8686F3-DE02-4441-A4B7-C3ED7AECC5FF.jpeg
E000FCB5-8861-413B-8420-34F4CFB3D1DE.jpeg
CAEF07D0-894B-4AD6-A3C5-304596D2606E.jpeg
9251CBE0-0C9A-4DFD-98A6-FEB39B5BBFCB.jpeg
3F0AB6C2-A16D-4DA9-B961-18DCFC949CF6.jpeg

OP
OP
Daniel92481

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers,

Just a quick update here. The tank is almost done with initial cycle, currently registering 2ppm nitrites for a week now. I’m guessing it should be any day now that the nitrite levels drop. Once done cycling, I plan to start slowly stocking with a CUC, fish, and corals. I’m not sure exactly which fish I am going to put in here yet. I was thinking a pair of clowns to start, or maybe even my purple firefish from the pico to start things off.

Stay tuned for more!
3B25C424-2E4D-457E-BE6C-1BBF37DBAB02.jpeg

OP
OP
Daniel92481

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers,

Quick update here…finally completed the cycle after pretty much 30 days. It might have been cycled a few days before, just didn’t test for a couple days. Nitrites were lingering for about 20 days, had me thinking things were stalled out. After the cycle was complete, I performed a 20% water change, added some filter socks and carbon to the media basket, and called it good. I had some store credit at the local LFS and was able to pick up some turbo snails and a pair of orange storm clowns. Really enjoying these guys! I’m not going to lie, they kind of freak me out! They’re so different looking, almost nightmarish. I feel like they should be called “nightmare clowns”.:eek:
F052A5CC-67AF-4038-ACDF-8311674EA3BC.jpeg

5C638A9F-5F48-4BC4-B6FF-0D2A1CADD254.jpeg

I plan to stock a few more fish in the future. I’m really thinking about adding my purple firefish from the pico, as well as my captive mandarin. After I add those two, I might add a Midas blenny and a couple of cardinals too. Still not sure! I haven’t added any corals yet, but will probably start adding some soon once I get my levels in check. I did some testing last night…

Salinity 1.026
Temp 77.7
ALK 7.7
Phosphates 0.02
Nitrates <40

I’m hoping my nitrates will stabilize after a few more water changes over the next month or two. I was also able to get some PAR numbers around the tank for reference.

The Kessil AP9X is about 10” from the water surface set at 65% peak intensity. These numbers were taken at peak times during the lighting schedule.

Top center 250-315
Bottom center 220-245
Bottom left 75-100
Bottom right 75-100

I’m happy with these results moving forward. I can always adjust in the future if I need to, but should be good with these numbers.

Well, until next time reefers! Thanks for following.:)

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did I miss this build thread hahahaha. Looking good. Trying to convince the wife to let me get a bigger tank. Looking at the IM 50 pro or IM 60 pro. That’s just a slight upgrade hahahaha. Have a lot of 1.5” aluminum square tubing in the shop so going to start building the stand in august or so and put 1/4” oak veneer paneling for the sides and doors. We will see going take a little while to save up the money anyway.

OP
OP
Daniel92481

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did I miss this build thread hahahaha. Looking good. Trying to convince the wife to let me get a bigger tank. Looking at the IM 50 pro or IM 60 pro. That’s just a slight upgrade hahahaha. Have a lot of 1.5” aluminum square tubing in the shop so going to start building the stand in august or so and put 1/4” oak veneer paneling for the sides and doors. We will see going take a little while to save up the money anyway.
Awesome man! That’s definitely a huge difference lol. I know you will enjoy it. That’s a good idea about a DIY stand. If I had a choice, I probably wouldn’t go with the IM stand again. Looks sharp, I think I just prefer a wood stand.

ChiefReef57

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers,

Just a quick update here. The tank is almost done with initial cycle, currently registering 2ppm nitrites for a week now. I’m guessing it should be any day now that the nitrite levels drop. Once done cycling, I plan to start slowly stocking with a CUC, fish, and corals. I’m not sure exactly which fish I am going to put in here yet. I was thinking a pair of clowns to start, or maybe even my purple firefish from the pico to start things off.

Stay tuned for more!
3B25C424-2E4D-457E-BE6C-1BBF37DBAB02.jpeg
How are you liking the flow with the neros on the back like that?

Back