danieyella's micro baby tank

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I did it. Yesterday I ordered a mini complete tank from tankmods. I clearly hate myself.

I guess it'll be shipping around the 7th, I plan to join the "unofficial" challenge going on here at r2r with it so no getting it wet until Oct 1st - which suits me just fine as I'll be out of state the end of Sept anyway.

I already have a bunch of rubble rock brewing in the sump of the big tank at all times, I'll build a structure out of that. I'm also going to primarily pull corals from my existing tanks, ones I know are pretty tolerant of fluctuation because I'm not sure how bad evaporation will be and I don't intend to run an ATO on this if I can avoid it and just hit 100% changes weekly instead. Thought was bare bottom, solid structure I can remove so that all I have to do is dump and replace. OR maybe a gsp bottom over time?

Already found some mods I plan to install for flow and visual experience.

Keep an eye out, I'll post more as more develops.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,how small is it ?
.37 gallons
New Girl Facepalm GIF by HULU

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be crazy. I wonder how some of these other guys are running these when it comes to changing water. Ive never not experienced a cloudy water bloom doing 100% or even really big water changes in a large volume system. Whats your plan?

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be crazy. I wonder how some of these other guys are running these when it comes to changing water. Ive never not experienced a cloudy water bloom doing 100% or even really big water changes in a large volume system. Whats your plan?

i would just wc it with the 75 water???
75 is probably more what it'll be. Keep in mind it does have a little baby sump. I plan to just change the display and leave what's in the sump.

When I was doing fresh mixed water changes on the 4 I did about 80% with no crazy cloudy water issues though.

I'll also be changing the water with water from the cade, because I'm not mixing tiny amounts like that lol

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would just wc it with the 75 water???
I would def start it up this way to avoid cycle. Just feels counterproductive to change out used water with used water.
If params are kept in check in 75 which they are I dont see an issue with it but wouldn't technically be getting new water exchange either.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill be right their with you, mines even shipping the same day. Smallest tanks I've ever had were a 10g freshwater and 20g for salt so this will be interesting to say the least. You have an idea of what corals you want to add? Im going for some gsp, zoas, and im going to attempt a birdsnest

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would def start it up this way to avoid cycle. Just feels counterproductive to change out used water with used water.
If params are kept in check in 75 which they are I dont see an issue with it but wouldn't technically be getting new water exchange either.
With what I'm planning on putting in there I don't think there will be much absorption to be honest. And the big tank is dosed with the big elements and 7 different trace elements - no water changes there either. I'm very anti mixing water lol

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill be right their with you, mines even shipping the same day. Smallest tanks I've ever had were a 10g freshwater and 20g for salt so this will be interesting to say the least. You have an idea of what corals you want to add? Im going for some gsp, zoas, and im going to attempt a birdsnest
Some zoas for sure, maybe gsp (on the fence there), and moving a few of my more tolerant lps over (acan, blasto, alveo) I did order a Jumanji porites with a coral order for my big tank that I think I'll move over there.
Right now I have a 4g salt as well, this definitely still feels like a challenge thinking about it though.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along as I'll be in the "competition " with ya!

I have my tank already and it's small for sure. Heat is tricky. My room temp is too low so I need a heater, but 7.5w is too strong without an inkbird or similar controller.

But anywho, I'm excited to see what you cover up with!!

Interest Popcorn GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along as I'll be in the "competition " with ya!

I have my tank already and it's small for sure. Heat is tricky. My room temp is too low so I need a heater, but 7.5w is too strong without an inkbird or similar controller.

But anywho, I'm excited to see what you cover up with!!

Interest Popcorn GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
Luckily I don't think I'll have to worry about heating it here. I am concerned it'll get too warm though... Excited to see what everyone does with theirs!

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
contest?
are there fabulous prizes?
or participation awards for everyone? :cool:
I don't even think there's participation awards, the prize is hating yourself more than usual

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back