Dark Patch On New Clown

jhatfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two new Ocellaris clowns arrived yesterday and the smaller of the two has dark areas at the base of the pectoral fins. Seems to be the same on both sides of the fish. What I can't tell is whether it's on the skin or if it's an internal coloration. Any ID on this would be appreciated.

They've been in the QT less than 24hrs and not reading any ammonia. The smaller one is the most active by far and eating the occasional pellet. I have not witnessed the larger one eating at all. It swimming around exploring with the occasional bullying of the smaller one.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure that's not just part of his coloration? I suspect it is, since it's on both sides.

Are the dark splotches anywhere near the gills?

OP
OP
jhatfield

jhatfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure that's not just part of his coloration? I suspect it is, since it's on both sides.

Are the dark splotches anywhere near the gills?
The dark color extends from the back of the gills down to the pectoral fins on either side. Includes a little bit of the leading edge of the fins.

I suspect this is normal color but, since I'm so new at this, I didn't want to assume without someone else looking at this.

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like normal color pattern to me also watch the fish see if it changes or it starts acting different. Mean time check out the stickies in this forum (at the top) there is some great people with great knowledge that have added some disease identification and treatment options. This as will help you to know what to look for

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks normal to me too. If they are young (juvis) then their black may not have come all the way in yet. Sometimes you'll find that young clowns will develop a bit more black as they age... this could just be that.

OP
OP
jhatfield

jhatfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like normal color pattern to me also watch the fish see if it changes or it starts acting different. Mean time check out the stickies in this forum (at the top) there is some great people with great knowledge that have added some disease identification and treatment options. This as will help you to know what to look for
Done! As a matter of fact I was observing the clown pair when I got home from work today and saw that the larger one had long stringy white poop. Consulted the stickies above and am now treating with prazipro. Super handy!

The small one is now eating everything I throw at it. The larger one (with the white poop) is not eating yet.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Done! As a matter of fact I was observing the clown pair when I got home from work today and saw that the larger one had long stringy white poop. Consulted the stickies above and am now treating with prazipro. Super handy!

The small one is now eating everything I throw at it. The larger one (with the white poop) is not eating yet.

You may want to food soak metro and also dose metro for the one that's not eating: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/internal-parasites-intestinal-worms.267419/

OP
OP
jhatfield

jhatfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to food soak metro and also dose metro for the one that's not eating: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/internal-parasites-intestinal-worms.267419/
Large clown began swimming vertically at the surface with rapid breathing. Noticed ammonia was creeping up toward .05pp acording the the badge. A couple water changes. Prepared fresh water dip (airated, temp matched) and dipped for 5 min. Didn't notice any flukes, etc..

Probably not going to make it. Struggling to stay upright an near surface.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large clown began swimming vertically at the surface with rapid breathing. Noticed ammonia was creeping up toward .05pp acording the the badge. A couple water changes. Prepared fresh water dip (airated, temp matched) and dipped for 5 min. Didn't notice any flukes, etc..

Probably not going to make it. Struggling to stay upright an near surface.

That suggests a fast killing internal parasite is in play. Start soaking metronidazole in the other clown's food ASAP.

OP
OP
jhatfield

jhatfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That suggests a fast killing internal parasite is in play. Start soaking metronidazole in the other clown's food ASAP.
Unfortunately metro was one of the ones I didn't have on hand. Frustrating.

Large clown died pretty quickly. Dosing metro in the food right now for the remaining clown.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately metro was one of the ones I didn't have on hand. Frustrating.

Large clown died pretty quickly. Dosing metro in the food right now for the remaining clown.

Sorry for the loss :(

OP
OP
jhatfield

jhatfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss :(
Thanks. So far 3 out of 4 fish I've ever purchased haven't survived longer than 3 days in QT. The remaining clown is now turned from calm to manic racing around the tank, isn't eating, and spits out whatever (metro soaked with garlic) food I put in front of his nose.

Will have to find a different vendor for fish. Ammonia issues with the first order (online) and now looks like some parasite problem with the second order which I picked up at the store.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. So far 3 out of 4 fish I've ever purchased haven't survived longer than 3 days in QT. The remaining clown is now turned from calm to manic racing around the tank, isn't eating, and spits out whatever (metro soaked with garlic) food I put in front of his nose.

Will have to find a different vendor for fish. Ammonia issues with the first order (online) and now looks like some parasite problem with the second order which I picked up at the store.

It sounds like you are buying fish from a LFS that has a lot of issues. o_O

OP
OP
jhatfield

jhatfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you are buying fish from a LFS that has a lot of issues. o_O
Indeed. Unfortunately it is the only one within a 90 min drive and is a fairly highly regarded sponsor on R2R. So, I figured I was pretty safe. I'll be consulting other threads for a better online fish source for sure.

OP
OP
jhatfield

jhatfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The remaining clown is eating again but not the Metro dosed food. Even added garlic and he still spits it out. No signs of white stringy poo as of yet.

What are my treatment options now since I did dose Prazipro to the tank on Thursday? Should I wait/observe and keep feeding or treat the QT with Metro right now?

FYI, I did notice the ammonia badge start to shift color yesterday so I did do a ~30% water change, cleaned the H.O.B filter and added carbon. I'm assuming this wrecked the Prazi treatment.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are my treatment options now since I did dose Prazipro to the tank on Thursday? Should I wait/observe and keep feeding or treat the QT with Metro right now?

FYI, I did notice the ammonia badge start to shift color yesterday so I did do a ~30% water change, cleaned the H.O.B filter and added carbon. I'm assuming this wrecked the Prazi treatment.

How long was the fish in Prazipro before you did the WC? If 24 hrs or longer, then it was successful.

At this point I would just start dosing metro in the water (every 48 hrs), in addition to keep trying to offer metro soaked food.

OP
OP
jhatfield

jhatfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, new development. Dark/discolored band appeared across this guys head today (see photo). I'm guessing bacterial infection? Heavy breathing and swimming is circles. Any ideas? Still treating Metro to the water.

IMG_1635.JPG

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, secondary bacterial infection. :( You can mix Seachem Kanaplex with Metroplex.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 89 71.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back