Dark spots on clown appear then disappear then appear

dwdoworkdw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a clown that developed a few dark spots weeks ago. My fellow reefers locally determined it was from my hammer coral stinging him. They did go away after awhile while I still had my hammer. now I currently do not have a hammer in my tank (for a few weeks now) and theses spots redeveloped again. I have a few zoas, gsp, and cloves. Eating healthy, active, not towards top of tank. They seem worse this time than last time. Can anyone please help me id?

IMG_5317.jpeg IMG_5318.jpeg IMG_5319.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5316.mov
    73.3 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you retake the photos under white light?

Do you mean the larger, bruise-like regions? That is a different issue, we don't know the cause of it, but it shows up in the white areas of fancy clownfish (probably is present in the non-white areas, but we just can't see it). Lots of guessing as to what causes this, but no proof yet. Here is a thread I started about it:

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dwdoworkdw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a clown that developed a few dark spots weeks ago. My fellow reefers locally determined it was from my hammer coral stinging him. They did go away after awhile while I still had my hammer. now I currently do not have a hammer in my tank (for a few weeks now) and theses spots redeveloped again. I have a few zoas, gsp, and cloves. Eating healthy, active, not towards top of tank. They seem worse this time than last time. Can anyone please help me id?

IMG_5317.jpeg IMG_5318.jpeg IMG_5319.jpeg
I’m currently fighting Dino’s right now so that’s why the lights are so so blue. So this is a common thing on fancy clowns? I notice they’re not as noticeable the whiter my lights get (fyi I’m new to any kind of forums so I’m not sure If I’m doing any of this correctly)

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently fighting Dino’s right now so that’s why the lights are so so blue. So this is a common thing on fancy clowns? I notice they’re not as noticeable the whiter my lights get (fyi I’m new to any kind of forums so I’m not sure If I’m doing any of this correctly)

I don't think it is more common on white clowns, only that you can see it more clearly on them. I have never had it on any of my clowns, but I only keep natural varieties, not fancies.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dwdoworkdw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it is more common on white clowns, only that you can see it more clearly on them. I have never had it on any of my clowns, but I only keep natural varieties, not fancies.

Jay
My other clown (same kind orange storm) doesn’t seem to have any spots like that. I’m only so confused because they went away then came back weeks later

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other clown (same kind orange storm) doesn’t seem to have any spots like that. I’m only so confused because they went away then came back weeks later
Yep - they can come and go. We just don’t know the cause. In some cases the fish dies, in other cases the fish recovers fine. We don’t know however, the the ones that die are dying from this issue or something else entirely…..
Jay

Upvote 0

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 21 16.4%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 55 43.0%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 17 13.3%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 28 21.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 5.5%
Back