DarkReefer's Waterbox 70.2 (My First Marine Tank!)

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the tank going?
Not great currently. Have had numerous coral die off over the past month or two.
I've got brown algae going nuts in the tank that I can't seem to get a hold on, just waiting on some chemical to arrive to start dosing and hopefully break it down (Continuum Bacter Clean M).

Fish appear to be doing well thankfully, just the corals and nems that aren't happy.

Starting to consider also if I should get myself an algae reactor or create a refugium of some kind to assist with keeping my nitrates and in particular my phosphates under control.
Had a discussion with my LFS who suggested possibly changing over to ASW rather than NSW also as it's more controlled. I'll also probably look into increasing my water change regularity as I've been trying to minimise these as much as possible and just dose nutrients, but it doesn't appear to be working.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a short video of the algae that has been taking over the tank.
Unfortunately I've lost about 50-75% of my corals I had since May. Haven't really bothered to replace with much, did I did add another softie in about a month or so back (before the algae really took off).
All the fish appear to be doing okay thankfully. Other than a very small coral goby I added many months ago that seemed to just disappear completely from the tank they've been alright.

Started dosing Continuum Bacter Clean M yesterday, so hopefully that'll loosen up the algae's hold and help get rid of it.
Got some new NSW delivered today also so will start with a decent water change over the weekend most likely.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change completed yesterday, did about 75L. Tried to stir up the algae and blow it off of surfaces etc.
Pulled out some dead corals that had it growing into their skeletons etc.
Chucked in some more carbon also.

Checked this morning and again tried to stir up some of the algae and blow it off of the sand and rock etc.
Not getting much joy at the moment.
Did a 2nd dose of the Clean Bacter M today after noticing the algae coming back on the sand after cleaning it this morning. Figure since doing the waterchange it would've lost some potency so doubt it'll do much harm by adding a 2nd dose. Still too early to tell if it's helping or not..

Test results from today as below;

Temp - 24.7 deg Celsius
pH - 8
Nitrate - 20
Phosphate - 0.031 (Tested this 3 times, first result on Hanna came in at .399, this seemed way out, tested again with the same checker and came back with aforementioned result, then checked with a salifert for confirmation and it was showing in approx 0.03 range).
Salinity - 1.025
Alkalinity - 8.5
Calcium - 410
Magnesium - 1260

Been eyeing off a couple of larger tanks as Blue Tang and Foxface starting to grow a little and I'd like them some more room. Missus seems to be somewhat onboard for the idea just need to find something that works for us... even if it's an interim tank and aim to upgrade again in future.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well today I installed an Aqua UV 25w Twist. Very tight fit to keep it all in the cabinet that's for sure.
Was feeling a bit unsure about it all last night when I first installed it but went and got myself some more hose today and some clamps and finished hooking it all up.
The cabinet door sits out very slightly from the original closed position, but that's because the hose is twisting the housing slightly.
I'm hoping once the water warms it up a bit more it might settle in a little easier and close better.

Here's hoping it starts destroying the dinos and I can have a nice looking tank again and start populating it with some more corals again.

20221210_133217.jpg

20221210_133321.jpg

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm not 100% sure how things are going with the UV at the moment. Fairly sure water clarity is better (didn't think it was bad initially but I've certainly noticed that it appears to look much cleaner). Sifted my sand and tried to pull out the dinos from the surface, not really sure it did a whole lot but we'll see over time.

Woke up this morning to my sand sifter stuck to the powerhead, turned it off momentarily and it swam away spiral swimming, so I think it's swim bladder or something is gone and it'll probably be dead very soon :(
He was out swimming around and seemed fine over the weekend apart from being a bit skinny, but I do try and chuck in some mysis 2-3 times a week along with some nori sheets every day that I know it eats both, although maybe it wasn't getting much of the nori as the blue tang and foxface both love the stuff and barely let any of it get away. It's a real shame I enjoy sand sifters (despite them making a mess) and this is the 2nd one in 2 years that hasn't made it so maybe I just need to stop with them all together. The first one died from starvation because a 2 spot tang I used to have kept chasing it back to it's hole.

Will probably chuck some new carbon in the bag tonight, test the water and probably chuck in some phyto and or Microbacter 7 as I think my bottle is finally showing up today.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Confirming death of the sand sifting goby.
Unfortunately was nowhere to be seen last night and then this morning I found the remains of it's body as I was brushing off the dinos from the rockwork. Definitely sad as I do really enjoy the character of those fish.

Another one I'm concerned with is the Flamehawk. Noticed this morning it looking a little thin also so I'll be sure to chuck in some mysis tonight and hope that he jumps on a bunch of it. If not I'll probably have to grab some brine cubes again (was meaning to do it last time I was there but forgot about it).
The other fish all look fairly chunky thankfully.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's been a couple of months. Have been battling dinos still until about a month ago when I finally started to get on top of them thankfully.

Moved house a couple weeks ago and did the move myself with some friends/family, was only about a 5 min drive from previous place.
Was one heck of a challenge to do the tank though. Think I'll just pay someone next time.
Got most but not all the water out, perhaps still 30-50L remained I'm not sure, moved it as one whole unit so I didn't have to pull everything a part and start again. Thankfully it arrived safely and we managed to get it back in okay etc.

Pulled all the rockwork out along with the fish and coral. Put this into about 2 different buckets/tubs.
Thankfully the rockwork stayed together too. It's made up of 3 pieces but the cement job must've been pretty good as it didn't give out.

All fish and coral appear to have arrived safely. The foxface did cop a couple of little nicks from the rock or corals during the move but otherwise all fish seem happy and healthy currently. It's been a couple weeks since they've settled in here and everything seems to be going well. Only downside is that I'm seeing what I believe is GHA appear, so I'm going to have to get at it with a toothbrush or something I think....

20230302_123033.jpg

20230302_123219.jpg

20230302_123316.jpg

You can see some of the GHA on the pics below.
20230302_123328.jpg

20230302_123341.jpg

One day I'll get around to learning how to take good photos of my tank, rather than just crappy ones with a filter over my phone lens.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still enjoying the hobby?

I would just try and get a routine down and stick to it for a while. Sounds like you've had to move a couple times and it's hard for a tank to flourish if it's not left to stabilize.

Are you still feeling burned out on testing and maintenance? I still enjoy my weekly maintenance on the tank, it becomes rewarding when livestock looks happy and knowing your efforts are doing good. I hardly test parameters tbh, I have softies and lps too but I just dose a small amount of all for reef daily, I do run gfo in a reactor which I replace once every couple months and usually I can tell if the tank needs me to give it some tlc otherwise I just leave it be. I do try and directly feed lps once a week but honestly some weeks I forget but usually is ok as long as I get them the next week. But besides a 10% water change every week I don't really find maintenance too overbearing.

I understand the desire for tangs and rabbitfish but may be easier to stabilize the tank with a lighter bioload. Imo waiting for bigger fish gives you something to look forward to whenever you get an upgrade. If you add something maybe consider waiting to see those corals etc doing well for a period of time before adding anything more.

Anyway, just wanted to check in, I know the ups and downs of the hobby and just rooting for your tank to thrive so you can continue to enjoy your tank.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still enjoying the hobby?

I would just try and get a routine down and stick to it for a while. Sounds like you've had to move a couple times and it's hard for a tank to flourish if it's not left to stabilize.

Are you still feeling burned out on testing and maintenance? I still enjoy my weekly maintenance on the tank, it becomes rewarding when livestock looks happy and knowing your efforts are doing good. I hardly test parameters tbh, I have softies and lps too but I just dose a small amount of all for reef daily, I do run gfo in a reactor which I replace once every couple months and usually I can tell if the tank needs me to give it some tlc otherwise I just leave it be. I do try and directly feed lps once a week but honestly some weeks I forget but usually is ok as long as I get them the next week. But besides a 10% water change every week I don't really find maintenance too overbearing.

I understand the desire for tangs and rabbitfish but may be easier to stabilize the tank with a lighter bioload. Imo waiting for bigger fish gives you something to look forward to whenever you get an upgrade. If you add something maybe consider waiting to see those corals etc doing well for a period of time before adding anything more.

Anyway, just wanted to check in, I know the ups and downs of the hobby and just rooting for your tank to thrive so you can continue to enjoy your tank.

Yeah still enjoying the hobby for the most part.
The tank has had to move twice in two years, thankfully this time it wasn't a complete reset. Still had majority of the same water and so on and sand wasn't dried out during the process (still even had water covering the sand during the move).

Testing I'm not doing as frequently, but usually try to do it once a week or every week and a half or so. Usually because I've been having the issue with the dinos I'm trying to keep an eye on things for a while.
I haven't been doing water changes as frequently due to the dinos also, but as they've seemed to ease up a little I might get that happening again.

I'm not planning on getting rid of any fish but certainly not adding any more. Will continue to add some more corals provided the tank stays stable and don't get another outbreak that is going to kill off any new additions.
I added some 2 SPS frags about a month or so back, along with a few other bits (hammer, torch & firework polyps). The SPS didn't last too long, maybe a few weeks at tops. Fireworks weren't happy for the longest time after I did a straight h202 dip, they've come back strong though and are doing well. Torch and Hammer also thankfully appear to be alright.

Thanks for checking in, sometimes I feel like I'm just keeping my own personal journal here so I appreciate the comment.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another general update -

Nothing much has happened with the tank in the past couple of months since moving. Did get another dino outbreak so I dropped lights down to about 10% and have left them there for the last month. My zoas have all but cracked it and died off (or been eaten I'm not sure...) only a couple small heads seem to be there still from the rastas etc that I had. The ugliest ones I had are still hanging around too, typical.

Firework clove polyps are a bit hit and miss at the moment, there's also some green hair algae that is growing a bit on the rockwork, thankfully doesn't appear to be anything on the sandbed, even after doing a 17% waterchange on the weekend. Have been considering possibly getting an urchin for the tank to try and deal with the algae, but I might try and get my water parameters settled in first.

I did get a new piece of equipment though, bought a 4 Stage Reef Pure 50GPD Essentials+ RODI unit over the weekend and got that up and running. Instead of buying NSW all the time and storing it in barrels for extended periods and potentially having the water go off because it's been sat there without any flow for extended periods (potentially causing the issues I've been having), I figured I'd just store RODI and then mix it as and when I need it.
Still yet to clean out the barrels properly but that'll come soon and then I'll buy a mixing barrel or container as currently I can only do a max of 45L change in one hit due to the size of the largest container I currently have.

Fingers crossed this puts me back on the right track and hopefully start seeing some success with the tank in 2023.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick little update.
Was excited this morning to see I still have a little forest fire nem alive !

I thought that they'd been wiped out with the dino issues and so on as I hadn't seen them for quite some time but there it was sitting on a bit of rock and starting to open up with the lights.
I'll look to grab a picture tonight.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the Powder Blue and the Foxface doing? I was not expecting to see them in a 45g 24" cube tank.
Both are doing well and eating plenty. My gf and I have been discussing getting hold of a larger tank, something 5-6' is what I'm aiming for, as we know the tank was never going to be an ideal size for them in the long term especially as they grow larger. We've had Dory since it was just a baby so it had room to grow in and the foxface was small when we got it also but we know it's coming time to get them into something larger.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nearly a month on. Tank nutrients still slowly coming away from the highs that I was seeing previously.
After my last waterchange last week Nitrates down to 22.7 and phosphate to 0.086, both the lowest they've been in months.

Went out yesterday and bought a pump for my RO so I don't have to contaminate with the same pump I use for pumping the mixed salt water into the tank. Whilst I was at the LFS I picked up another duncan to replace the one I lost months ago and also a frogspawn. Used to have 2 big ones (well big for my tank) when I lived back in Perth but I never received them from the LFS that held my goods, apparently they melted (I say bs because they were thriving when I dropped them off).

They still haven't come out nicely yet, I'm hoping the rabbit fish doesn't continue to peck at them and upset them but we'll see.
20230611_094352.jpg

Frogspawn has opened up nicely and looks happy.
20230611_094345.jpg

Unfortunately my elegance finally let go of the rest of it's skeleton last night/this morning. It started letting go months ago and today found it over the other side of the tank in a lower flow area, so I've just left it there. Hopefully it continues to stay alive for months/years to come but not being able to ground it somewhere does make it tricky.

20230611_094328.jpg

In other news, my Morph is having babies. I think I've spotted 3-4 all up.
20230609_151229.jpg

Here's a pic of the little nem that came out of hiding a few weeks ago. Be nice if it comes back over the coming months/years.
20230518_171953.jpg

Been looking around getting info and pricing etc on a larger tank.
Was initially thinking a 270.6, however it seems my floors wont be able to handle the weight (Approx 2 tonne+ all up).
So unfortunately I need to probably look at building more piers and reinforcing the bearers & joists somehow (preferably without paying someone 5k+! ) Even a 4ft tank it seems might be a little risky... very frustrated at finding this info out but will see what can be done.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for a small update!

Was getting a little tired of corals dying on me despite my levels seeming to be relatively stable/slow moving, so decided on some to add some additional soft corals for a bit. This past weekend went out to the LFS and picked a xenia, gsp along with a nice zoa frag.

After discussing the coral dying issue, the young guy suggested I ramp my lights up a bit. Since dealing with the dino's I've kept them at about 25% so it's possible the corals just weren't getting adequate lighting. I've since started ramping it up a little firstly to 30% for a few days, and then changed it again this morning to 35%. I'll probably look to leave it here a bit longer before adjusting again, maybe a week or something and then I'll try and bump it again by another 5-10%.

Still have a little PTSD from having dealt with the dinos for so long so I'm a little hesitant about increasing the light or adding back the whites/green etc.

Attachments

• 20230910_133321.jpg
    20230910_133321.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 20230910_133337.jpg
    20230910_133337.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230910_133343.jpg
    20230910_133343.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time:

Earlier this week purchased several new frags of zoas and a Rhodactis.
20231019_171448.jpg

20231019_171451.jpg

20231019_171455.jpg

Unfortunately I think my foxface has developed a taste for the polyps :(
Found 3 pulled off the rack yesterday, I've now stuck the damaged ones to the rock, so we'll see if they come back or if the fox chooses to finish them off completely. Made sure I fed it some seaweed this morning so fingers crossed that'll keep him content for the day on top of normal feeding.

20231027_085913.jpg

These Zoas have been left alone thankfully and are growing nice and quickly.
I think it's grown about 4 polyps or so over the past month...
20231027_085919.jpg

And my GSP still doesn't seem 100% happy so I might have to look at moving it down further. The lights are only at 40%ish as it is, so surprised that they seem to be having trouble. (you can barely see them on the top of this rock here).

20231027_085858.jpg

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it seems the foxface has decided to eat even the Gobstopper zoas now.
This fish is unreal....
Literally gets a large piece of seaweed every day (approx 4-5cm long x 3cm wide) and still wants to destroy a couple hundred bucks worth of zoa frags.
Only the fire & ice frag remains untouched... but that'll probably be next :(

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back