Darn murder hermit

tippytango

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my blue leg hermits killed my red hermit to take his bigger shell. Now the idiot blue hermit is clumsily clunking around the tank, constantly getting flipped upside down, unable to flip over due to the shell being too big! I’m sick of flipping him back over!

Will he make it?

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
who knows.
hermits are pretty rough on whatever is keeping the shell they like so snails and other hermits will have their hands full. that being said, i've had better luck with scarlett hermits than blue legged when it comes to infighting. might just be my luck though too.

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my blue leg hermits killed my red hermit to take his bigger shell. Now the idiot blue hermit is clumsily clunking around the tank, constantly getting flipped upside down, unable to flip over due to the shell being too big! I’m sick of flipping him back over!

Will he make it?
Most likely! They are resilient little creatures. I would suggest going to your LFS and see if they have any extra shells. Most will give them to you when you buy hermits or just give them away when you don’t!

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Will he make it?
Itll be fine, maybe add a few shells to your tank, it likely couldn't find one that fit it so I went with the closest thing

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to a dollar store . And usually in the craft section they have bags of assorted shells .
Rinse them and toss a handful of different shape and sizes .
if there are plenty of wmpty
Shells , they generally won’t ruthlessly attack others just cause .
It’s Worked for me up till now …

Good luck

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to a dollar store . And usually in the craft section they have bags of assorted shells .
Rinse them and toss a handful of different shape and sizes .
if there are plenty of wmpty
Shells , they generally won’t ruthlessly attack others just cause .
It’s Worked for me up till now …

Good luck
It can poison the crabs or other fish due to paint or chemicals used to treat the shells

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just posted about my murder hermits yesterday. In searching the web I found a site dedicated to land hermits but it had a great page on evaluating and sizing shells. I found their templates worked really well for figuring out where we were and where we needed to go for sizes.

Hermit Harbor

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back