Darth Maul Chalice sweepers....?

Edgecrusher28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a frag of WWC Darth Maul Chalice growing out for some time now on a frag disc. Oddly enough I lost a nice Frostbite Acan colony that was also on a frag disc that was growing nicely right next to the Chalice awhile ago that I chalked up to dosing error. Long story short, I came downstairs today to find what appeared to be a giant spit wad/loogie looking substance covering another frag that retracted back into the Chalice. I assume this was a sweeper type deal but it looked nothing like any other sweeper tentacle I have seen. Just curious to see what you all had to say about this? I had no idea Chalice could sit out alien like goo!

TIA.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a frag of WWC Darth Maul Chalice growing out for some time now on a frag disc. Oddly enough I lost a nice Frostbite Acan colony that was also on a frag disc that was growing nicely right next to the Chalice awhile ago that I chalked up to dosing error. Long story short, I came downstairs today to find what appeared to be a giant spit wad/loogie looking substance covering another frag that retracted back into the Chalice. I assume this was a sweeper type deal but it looked nothing like any other sweeper tentacle I have seen. Just curious to see what you all had to say about this? I had no idea Chalice could sit out alien like goo!

TIA.
Yup. Chalices are MEAN. They can and will AT&T.

Some sweepers are long and skinny, some short and fat, but when they connect and they decide to play, they can wreck house.

JasonVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could have been mesenterial filaments. Basically 'guts' spilling out to attack by digesting other corals. To my understanding almost all if not all LPS and SPS are able to use those. The difference is more of 'how often/willing' a species deploys them.

OP
OP
Edgecrusher28

Edgecrusher28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could have been mesenterial filaments. Basically 'guts' spilling out to attack by digesting other corals. To my understanding almost all if not all LPS and SPS are able to use those. The difference is more of 'how often/willing' a species deploys them.
I had to look that up, I had no idea what the heck that was or even that the coral could do that but that is exactly what was going on; so bizarre. It honestly looked like the Chalice was eating the Leptastrea frag, I wonder if it got my Acan as well!

Thanks for the info.

JasonVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to look that up, I had no idea what the heck that was or even that the coral could do that but that is exactly what was going on; so bizarre. It honestly looked like the Chalice was eating the Leptastrea frag, I wonder if it got my Acan as well!

Thanks for the info.

Isn't it fun how something like a coral can continue to surprise us huh? :) I'd bet on the chalice doing the same to the acan.

A branching cyphastrea frag fell down by a favia colony during the night. It was already 100% bare to the skeleton by the time I discovered it in the morning.. No other corals nearby- deliberately kept the favia well away from everyone else because of their reputation for being rather aggressive. That'll teach me I guess, ha!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 55 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back