DB 2g Project

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's going on reefers ?

So I have had this project in my head for a long time,started out planning for a DIY AIO 5g,then I found a DB 2g Betta tank at a local reptile store and got that instead I really miss having a pico tank and not to mention I love the looks of the tanks.

The plan:

Super fun,simple,easy but intense and bust down the barrier of what these small volumes of water can do or what people think they can do.

Stocking:

I want full blown SPS,but who knows what'll happen.

Equipment:

- Of course the tank
- AC30 w/ carbon and a sponge
- Stax rocks
- Redone NanoCustoms Led light with my own array: Ch1- 4x Luxeon ES Royals,2-4x Violets Ch2- 2x Luxeon ES Warm White,1x Luxeon C Mint,2x Violets all ran at 700mah.

I plan to add maybe 2 more Royals to Chl1 and adding 1 cyan 1 true blue to Ch2.

I still need to get a CoralBox N50 ATO,salt,leds,thermal adhesive,water,a huge box of motivation ;Sorry 20190213_173354.jpg 20190210_194751.jpg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get enough water movement (or the correct amount) to host SPS? I saw a super tiny nano at a LFS that was 2g max, if that. It had a ton of LPS. I never thought it could be done but nothing’s impossible. Update this post please. I’m curious!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get enough water movement (or the correct amount) to host SPS? I saw a super tiny nano at a LFS that was 2g max, if that. It had a ton of LPS. I never thought it could be done but nothing’s impossible. Update this post please. I’m curious!
Check out

I like your project OP! I may try a pico sps reef out myself!

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out

I like your project OP! I may try a pico sps reef out myself!

Lol. Nothing surprises me anymore. I first got into this hobby around 20 years and took some time off in the middle. Back then, it was taboo to have anything less than 30g. SPS and LPS in a goldfish bowl... ;Hilarious

OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Absolutely. I had a 8"x8" cube a few years ago with over 20 Acro's and had awesome growth until I messed things up. Flow,eh I'm not worried about really. With the AC30 putting out almost 200gph with the footprint of this tank I think I should be good. If I do need more flow,I can add a tiny Sicce pump and hide it behind the rocks and such.

I'd love to see how rowdy a SW2 would be in here. I had a RW4 in my last 12"x6" tank and it was a hair too big and pushed a little bit too much water even at 500mah.

These are my old projects:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/who-wants-to-see-a-pico-sps-tank.327723/

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. I had a 8"x8" cube a few years ago with over 20 Acro's and had awesome growth until I messed things up. Flow,eh I'm not worried about really. With the AC30 putting out almost 200gph with the footprint of this tank I think I should be good. If I do need more flow,I can add a tiny Sicce pump and hide it behind the rocks and such.

I'd love to see how rowdy a SW2 would be in here. I had a RW4 in my last 12"x6" tank and it was a hair too big and pushed a little bit too much water even at 500mah.

These are my old projects:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/who-wants-to-see-a-pico-sps-tank.327723/
Nice frags from that older post. I used to have a saltwater FO system years and years ago when I lived in Hawaii. Back then it was hard to get ahold of good corals because they have really strict laws there. Since I’ve moved to HK, I’ve moved on to coral because we get a pretty good variety here. But you’re making me curious about starting an SPS nano. Keep pics coming.

OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome,I love corals. I think I may toss in 1 neon or sharknose goby or a clown goby. I miss having a fish in a system.

I definitely will,its been a super slow build but my tax return will speed things up a huge amount. @ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome,I love corals. I think I may toss in 1 neon or sharknose goby or a clown goby. I miss having a fish in a system.

I definitely will,its been a super slow build but my tax return will speed things up a huge amount. @ScottR
I’m actually goby hunting at the moment. I wanted a coral only tank with inverts. I took wife and kids to a LFS. Son. Wife wanted two damsels. I obliged. Later on son wanted “nemos”. So I have 4 at the moment. I actually learned to love the black perc clowns. Damsels are getting ready to find a home in the sump.

OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last of the stuff to tighten up the light fixture was ordered today. Depending on when I get mt refund,the ATO and salt will be ordered this week and should be wet by mmmm maybe next weekend.

OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last of the leds and adhesive came in from Steve's,and all I have to do is adhere them all down !!

Channel 1: 2x Luxeon WW,Lux True Blue,1x Semi Roya and 2x Semi Violet.

Channel 2: 2x Luxeon RB,4x Semi Royals,2x Semi Violets ;Woot

OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one of my drivers shorted while I was checking my leds last night and popped majority of the string of leds... So I'm pretty upset about that,at this moment only 1 driver is working.

When I get time the light will be torn apart and checked...***.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back