DB's PicO S III Shallow 12g Journal

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers! I've been kicking around setting this system up for awhile. I almost sold the tank awhile back but decided to shut down the JBJ 30 AIO and set this one up. Very happy I didn't sell it!!

Currently, I also have my Miracles 110g system in the living room and really miss it not being in my office (since we relocated), so now I have the perfect desktop companion! I will be stealing frags from my main system and picking up a few things here and there to fill the tank up. My other build is over here ------> https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dbs-miracles-110-journal.173957/

The tank was made by PicO Aquariums in 2014 and I recently discovered that (Chris) is no longer making these systems...:( :( This is the main reason I decided not to sell it. Ok, so enough of the small talk, here are the system specs:

Tank - 18" x 18" x 9" (starphire) AIO

Circulation - MP-10 with custom splash guard from PicO Aquariums and the custom PicO return pump.

Skimmer - no clue on the brand, it came with the JBJ 30, used. Works for now, but will be upgraded eventually (leave comments on your favorite nano skimmers please!!)

Heater - Ebo Jager

ATO - Tunze Osmolator with a 5g jug, will probably run Kalk with top off.

Controller - I'm using my old AquaController Jr. (still works great!)

Filtration - I use filter pad in the top tray, Chemipure Elite and Purigen, as well as seeded MarinePure bio-spheres for biological filtration.

Lighting - Current light is my desktop work lamp (LED) with a moonlight flex fixture (lol) I just purchased a Nanobox Mini Tide Plus M from Dave and he said I should get it the first week or so of March!

Rock & Sand - CeramEco VidaRock bonsai pieces (3 total) and CaribSea CORAline crushed shell mix (larger pieces) and CaribSea Aragamax oolite sand. I have a peppermint pistol shrimp, so I wanted a good variety for him to build with. My 8-year-old daughter named him Bob the Builder...

I had the bonsais in the JBJ for the last year or more, so they are fairly encrusted with coralline, pods, worms, a few zoas and a few aiptasia....:eek: I have a peppermint shrimp doing his thing, I'm down to 2 aiptasia that I can see. No food going in the system since I moved my fish elsewhere, so he will eventually eat them.

Inhabitants - as of now all I have is the peppermint shrimp, pistol shrimp, female emerald crab, scarlet hermit and a few snails. I am going to get a goby for the pistol, probably a Yasha. I'm still undecided on what else I am going to add... Suggestions welcome!!

As far as corals, I think I will do my usual and have a mixed reef, probably focusing on zoas and a few SPS / LPS. Since this is my stress relief throughout the day, as I work at my desk, I will want some movement, maybe a torch and some hammers.

So, I think that pretty much covers it! Please comment, good or bad!! I don't bite and I do enjoy the conversation!! Thanks for stopping by!

OP
OP
Reeflogic

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the CeramEco VidaRock bonsai pieces you have got looks nice in the tank.

Thanks! I love them, hardly any of the rocks are touching the sand bed, so I get really good flow throughout the tank. Once they start getting coralline and "stuff" growing on them, they really do look great.

Wish I would have bought it! Lol

Lol Waylon, I'm glad you allowed me to keep it haha!

Really nice , looks much bigger than it is. :)

It is one of those weird sized tanks that somehow works, I tend to look from above more than I do the front, I guess that was the purpose of these shallow style tanks. But it does give the illusion that I have more real estate to work with, which I really like. Thanks Chris!

I thought the same thing; that it looked much bigger than a 12g! Great looking tank there, Doug! Looking forward to seeing the progress!

Thanks Yash!! Don't go thinking that I've forgotten about dinner with the wives lol! ;) Any progress or direction with your new tank? I'm looking forward to it!

DUDE! :cool:

OP
OP
Reeflogic

Reeflogic