DC equipment and electrical safety

Ezduzt_nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the different safety features that one should implement with DC equipment, please? As in, I don't want to be electrocuted? For AC, there's GFCI, but don't know anything about DC?

Thanks!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 can explain this best.;)

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your questioning DC equipment for our tanks the power supply convert your ac power from the wall to dc for the pump therefore your gfci’s work the same. There’s nothing special used for dc equipment for our tanks.

OP
OP
E

Ezduzt_nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for explaining. Not being an electrician, does the power converter pass through the ground between ac & dc?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for explaining. Not being an electrician, does the power converter pass through the ground between ac & dc?
It does not pass through ground.

There is little personal risk with most DC pumps. They typically operate at 36 volts or less which isn't normally a shock risk. I would only worry about voltage at those levels for someone with a medical device like a pace maker.

Last edited:

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dare I recommend a titanium grounding probe? And periodically performing stray voltage checks.

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not pass through ground.

There is little personal risk with most DC pumps. They typically operate at 36 volts or less which isn't normally a shock risk. I would only worry about voltage at those levels for someone with a medical device like a pace maker.

The voltage is pretty low but what about amps? Some of these pumps can draw up to 2 amps.

clipperking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a ground in my tank Been shocked b4
c66697d21802f27bf0f095d2d6c3b579.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The voltage is pretty low but what about amps? Some of these pumps can draw up to 2 amps.
When it comes to a persons safety, equipment current draw doesn't matter. How much current flows is a directly related to how much voltage there is and how much resistance is in the flow path. Your shock would be no different if you were touching the power supply of a 100 amp motor as you would in a 1 amp motor.

Dare I recommend a titanium grounding probe? And periodically performing stray voltage checks.
Always a solid recommendation. Heaters are the best reason to run a ground probe/GFCI combination. Haven't seen a low voltage DC heater yet!

clipperking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to a persons safety, equipment current draw doesn't matter. How much current flows is a directly related to how much voltage there is and how much resistance is in the flow path. Your shock would be no different if you were touching the power supply of a 100 amp motor as you would in a 1 amp motor.

Always a solid recommendation. Heaters are the best reason to run a ground probe/GFCI combination. Haven't seen a low voltage DC heater yet!
Make sure you clean that salt off lights, electrical cords, e.t.c. that saLt can creep And cause fire'..electrical Shorts, etc. And thats A great WAY to get shocked(wavemakers, don't buy cheap ones) turn off electric when Reaching in the tank

ltrace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a titanium grounding probe but not sure how to connect it to plug. I was told that I should connect the eyelet of the probe to the center screw on the outlet cover plate. The outlet is a GFCI outlet and does not have a center screw. So how do I connect the two together?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a titanium grounding probe but not sure how to connect it to plug. I was told that I should connect the eyelet of the probe to the center screw on the outlet cover plate. The outlet is a GFCI outlet and does not have a center screw. So how do I connect the two together?
Is yours one with both a plug and the ring lug or does it only have the ring lug?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It only has the ring.
The best way to connect it is to thread it in behind the edge of the outlet cover plate and connect it to the ground connection on the outlet.

If you have a piece of equipment with a metal housing and a 3 prong plug, such as a fuge light, you can connect it using one of the assembly screws. This is less than ideal but should accomplish the goal.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 56 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back