DC Pumps: Best bang for your buck?

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm more interested in a silent pump that controllable. As long as I can adjust the flow (even with valves, if need be) I'd be happy. I can't imagine ever needing Pules/Lagoon mode on a return pump.

I have a 180 with two Syncra 5.0s. 1 goes straight to return (after 5'), the other splits (return, chiller/UV) My actual turnover ends up being only ~2

Anyway, I'm not exactly up to date with DC Pumps and I'm seeing Hydor, Echotech, Syncra, eFlux... I'm not sure where to start. eFlux seems to be much better priced than the others...

PYRU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy @#&! I can get a 5300gph Jebao for a couple hundred!? I could run my entire system with one pump.

I havent figured out my mixing station pump(s) yet. In a 210 I have a couple of dct 8k's set aside that I'm going to run at 1/2 speed then make up the rest of my flow with jebao rw-8 powerheads and maybe an icecap gyre.

I've had good service out of jebao return pumps. I have some dc12k's as well. They're very quiet imo especially within an enclosed stand

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm probably going to state something unpopular, but I went back to AC pumps. IMHE DC pumps are simply not reliable enough and are too expensive.

Calculate the cost of your electricity though. You'll probably find the expense is more than offset by the energy savings! That's why I just ordered a Jebao DCQ-10000 return pump. :)
--Kyle

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my DCP8000 running for 5 months in my 150 gallon system @ 55٪ of its capacity. My SCA150 internal overflow can't handle more flow. Enough excess flow to run a manifold for $65.

PYRU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want quiet, reliable and energy efficient, take a look at the AC Fluval SP6. It uses a bombproof Italian Askoll motor block and pumps 3500 gph at 135 watts. If you dial it back with a valve, it will consume even less energy.

These are nice pumps, but are very large. I was looking an sp4 and it was a good bit larger than a dct12k

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on whether you mean best short term bang for your buck or long term? If you're looking for an inexpensive/cheap pump to last for a few years then I think something like the Jebao is fine. If you're looking at lowest cost of ownership for a decade, probably not. I'm a big fan of the fluval SP pumps also.

Lukas75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calculate the cost of your electricity though. You'll probably find the expense is more than offset by the energy savings! That's why I just ordered a Jebao DCQ-10000 return pump. :)
--Kyle
Return pump failures, especially if you are away are not fun. If I was going to go DC I would need to put two on for piece of mind. I've had too many (skimmer, reactor pumps and return pumps) fail. It's usually the control box that dies and takes the pump offline with it. Just my experience, good luck!

PYRU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id recommend redundancy anyway.

I have been looking at the sp pumps though they are good value for what you get

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm more interested in a silent pump that controllable. As long as I can adjust the flow (even with valves, if need be) I'd be happy. I can't imagine ever needing Pules/Lagoon mode on a return pump.

I have a 180 with two Syncra 5.0s. 1 goes straight to return (after 5'), the other splits (return, chiller/UV) My actual turnover ends up being only ~2

Anyway, I'm not exactly up to date with DC Pumps and I'm seeing Hydor, Echotech, Syncra, eFlux... I'm not sure where to start. eFlux seems to be much better priced than the others...
Coralvue
Abyzz A200 3,750GPH Controllable DC Pump

10 year warranty
I have a few Coralvue products and the warranty is great there quick and don't ask for the old part.

Lukas75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralvue
Abyzz A200 3,750GPH Controllable DC Pump

10 year warranty
I have a few Coralvue products and the warranty is great there quick and don't ask for the old part.
I'd go with an Abyzz over anything else, but I don't want to have to take out a second mortgage. :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back