DCs WATERBOX Shallow Frag: Coming along....

OP
OP
dcuevas74

dcuevas74

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feel the height is going to limit you much? I was considering a 48x24x10 tank (Zoo-Med Low Boy Frag Tank) and the height was my only concern. I do not like tall tanks but man....10" just sounds super short. I'd like to have some sand as I'm a big fan of YWG/shrimp combos.

Will be following along to see how you build goes! Looks awesome so far. Any plans for glass/acrylic tops?

I do feel it will limit me but in a good way. I've had other tanks before that were taller and just seemed like I would put as much as possible in it. With this one, I have to be a bit more selective in what I put in there. That way the scape and corals stay within proportion for the overall design. I like these shallows because I get to appreciate the view from the side, above with the corals up and close. Especially since I like zoas, acans, and chalices. They look quite different from above. The stand does have to allow for this. I also think their easier maintenance wise. I just bought a bunch of zoas/palys from a guy and he had two lowboys. They are pretty shallow but he had sand and they looked great to me. He too just had to be careful with what rock he choose. His stand was shorter so you definitely enjoyed the view from the top. I also feel like with these shallows you can dial in the light and flow easier.

OP
OP
dcuevas74

dcuevas74

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lets see that full shot with rock scape and water

Finally grabbed a shot after a water change:

IMG_1582.jpg

OP
OP
dcuevas74

dcuevas74

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fantastic, I really like the scape.

Dang, that looks awesome

Appreciate it. Took a while to settle on the scape but hopefully this one allows for maximum grow out space and in proportion to size of the glass box. Thanks for following. I am going to try to upload some shots of the corals with my good camera. These were taken with the iphone.

rjdasilva

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup. Any updates on how you like the Waterbox frag series? I’m considering moving to the 80 frag from a 50 gal cube and was unsure whether I’d be completely happy with the 12” depth. I have mostly sps so will probably go bare bottom due to the required higher flow.

OP
OP
dcuevas74

dcuevas74

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup. Any updates on how you like the Waterbox frag series? I’m considering moving to the 80 frag from a 50 gal cube and was unsure whether I’d be completely happy with the 12” depth. I have mostly sps so will probably go bare bottom due to the required higher flow.

This is one of my favorite setups over the years. I love how the gyre 1k works perfectly for the dims, the ability to look over the reef, how easy it is to work on. The sump is great and the stand is great quality. I can only imagine how much fun the 80 will be for you! Let me know when you make the move and start a build log. I definitely wanna follow!

Great looking tank! Love the dimensions.

Thanks my friend!

Love the scape. Been looking at these for my next build. Awesome job

Thanks, the Haitian rock I got from my LFS is so easy to work with not to mention great shapes.

Any idea on your par throughout the tank. Love the AP7000 setup

No, I do not have access to a par meter. I have been thinking about purchasing one. I need to stop buying frags and get one ;)

N2950H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a beautiful setup and is what ultimately sent me down the Waterbox path. I also love the frag dimensions and am in the process of ordering the Frag 80.4 through my LFS.

I also really like that Haitian rock you used. Do you recall how much of it you wound up with? Your aquascape is fantastic and I'd like to use about the same ratio of rock to negative space in my setup.

OP
OP
dcuevas74

dcuevas74

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a beautiful setup and is what ultimately sent me down the Waterbox path. I also love the frag dimensions and am in the process of ordering the Frag 80.4 through my LFS.

I also really like that Haitian rock you used. Do you recall how much of it you wound up with? Your aquascape is fantastic and I'd like to use about the same ratio of rock to negative space in my setup.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. You are going to love the 80 WB. The 60 and 80 are perfect dims if you ask me. If you can get the Haitian, I highly recommend it. Probably my favorite rock. So much character and placement is a breeze for corals. I purchased between 30 to 35 lbs. I probably tossed around 5lbs that was not used. This rock is so easy to scape and to keep low. I was sure to pick some that could go flat/diagonal and couple that were already around 9" tall. I then scaped around those tall pieces. This helped me keep the negative space I wanted ideally. Good luck and let me know when your build is up. I would love to follow along!

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice looking tank. I love my waterbox. They make very good tanks. Glad I made the purchase. Don’t think I saw very many fish. Do you have a stock plan?

OP
OP
dcuevas74

dcuevas74

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice looking tank. I love my waterbox. They make very good tanks. Glad I made the purchase. Don’t think I saw very many fish. Do you have a stock plan?

Right?! Their cabinets are pretty awesome as well. I really liked the entire setup as a whole for the price. Right now I have a pair of Divinci Clowns, probably my favorites. I also have a single Damsel. I am about to setup a new one that will be 220 gallons. I just setup a frag low boy in my closet and transferred all my corals to it. The new one will be here in the next couple of weeks. The whole idea for the larger setup is for tangs. I really want to incorporate some smaller schools as well.

Oh my... just took a look at your thread and WOW! Bravo! Your pen is exceptional. I look forward to following and watching it mature. Did I read correctly that you keep your PH at mid 6s?

Last edited:

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right?! Their cabinets are pretty awesome as well. I really liked the entire setup as a whole for the price. Right now I have a pair of Divinci Clowns, probably my favorites. I also have a single Damsel. I am about to setup a new one that will be 220 gallons. I just setup a frag low boy in my closet and transferred all my corals to it. The new one will be here in the next couple of weeks. The whole idea for the larger setup is for tangs. I really want to incorporate some smaller schools as well.

Oh my... just took a look at your thread and WOW! Bravo! Your pen is exceptional. I look forward to following mature. Did I read correctly that you keep your PH at mid 6s?
Thanks! Sounds like you have a good plan. A 220 will be great for a few tangs. My tank is in the basement so my PH ranges from 8.15 - 8.35. The calcium reactor PH is around 6.68. The calcium reactor keeps my Alk very stable. I really only check the Alk for the most part. Although the tank transfer was tough, it was worth it. The AP700 is a great light and provides excellent coverage. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back