Dead or not dead?

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forget the name of this coral. But I got two different ones in this past weekend (I can't remember the name for either). One is doing great and immediately had PE. The other looks white in person, has PE, no algae..yet. but..in pictures it has a beautiful color. Now, it could just be the lighting reflecting off of it? But it's got me confused. I think it's alive but stressed to hell...

IMG_20201006_204311.jpg IMG_20201006_204344.jpg IMG_20201006_204342.jpg IMG_20201006_204354.jpg IMG_20201006_204335.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's gotten two doses of amino acids this week, hopefully that'll feed it while it regains it's zoo...ugh, this is gonna be a battle.

OP
OP
H

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it comes back from that, It'll be one hardy son of a gun. I'm very surprised it's still alive... I'm gonna try my best to dose amino acid much as I can...but we'll see. I do dose phyto as well and feed the fish 3 times daily so...It should get enough food to come back, might be the only thing keeping it alive. It came in kinda bleached...

OP
OP
H

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea! I have faith, the polyps are extended all day and night. I have yet to look at it and see no polyps. For some reason, my tank seems to rehabilitate dying corals. I have lost some though, but I'm so OCD about my tank that I think it helps lol

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In first pic looks alive. Under whites it looks, kinda dead.
I don’t know but am following along and wishing you and the coral good luck and health.

OP
OP
H

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first pics are under blues last night. The second set are today at lunch under white.

In person, it was looking white and I thought it was dead besides the polyps. So I took a picture to get an opinion, and noticed the beautiful color. But it's very much bleached in person, can't see any color on it. The most is a VERY VERY light darkness in spots. But the Polyps are fully extended and happy...it's really frigging weird.

OP
OP
H

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I do need to mention. I had to drip acclimate these corals because I keep elevated parameters.
I want to make sure there isn't anything too off.

Last I checked I was at

Ph : 8.4 - 8.5
Nitrate: 10 - 20 (Was showing 10 when I checked it last week, I did a WC a few days after
Phos: Always steady at between .08 - .12
Temp: 76 ish
I have two red sea 90s and two reef wave 45s..plenty of light and flow
ALK: 11 steady, dose 1 dkh a day
CAL: 425 (everytime I check this its always there. I have yet to see it move....)
Mag: 1450 ish

I dose phyto every day, I've been dosing a bit more energy plus (prob bringing up my nitrates, gonna WC tonight. I usually do two WC a week just to make sure. I've started slowing that to one a week though)
Any idea's what I can do to make things even better? Tank seems happy, I can post video if needed. I do think new corals get stressed from the elevated ALK though, I may slowly start bringing it back down. I know the LFS keeps theirs at 8.5, which I used to match with them and corals would thrive whenever I brought them home. Only reason I have it at 11 now is because I switched salts, knowing that the salt I had on hand is elevated alk (RedSea black, I was using Blue before).

So I will probably start the process of lowering it, or doing something different to make things happier. I just really want the growth. Only reason I switched is because the addition of my clam really hit my ALK uptake. It went from not needing dosing, to using 1dkh a day... lol

OP
OP
H

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: Saw some coloring on the coral last night. It's very faint, don't believe it's algae...yet. But still alive and extending, moved it to an area with a little more flow maybe less light. When I get home, I'll see how it likes the new spot. It was getting pushed around a little by my fighting conches.

I'll post pics for anyone interested.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Rather than OD on aminos, which could cause a whole new set of problems, I would focus on spot feeding that guy. Any frozen rotifers, cyclops, calanus, freeze dried zooplankton or the likes should be tried out. Use very small quantities gently with a syringe or baster and see what gets a reaction. You should be able to see the polyp grab and close up on the food. Simply sliming isn’t a good reaction. A particle or two of food eaten can go a very long way in recovering from bleaching.

Back