Dead Starfish??

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-Sorry For Posting Alot- Hello, I recently go a blue lincktia starfish which had awesome colouration and was very healthy, and he moved around my tank a lot (When I was out of the room) and I did a water change and I moved him from the top to the.bottom and when I poured in the new water (Heated only a little cold) he got sand all over him and he stopped moving, he hasn't moved for a while now, my tank is cloudy right now so would he be filter feeding and happy?

15913241733261705592673.jpg

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starfish generally speaking are not filter feeders and usually feed on mollusks. Not sure what is happening with yours but he is definitely not a filter feeder and would be happy if you fed him scallop or oyster.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say "heated, only a little cold" did you match the temperature and salinity exactly- linkias are extremely sensitive to changes in temperature, salinity and pH. How old is the tank and how old is the star?

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starfish generally speaking are not filter feeders and usually feed on mollusks. Not sure what is happening with yours but he is definitely not a filter feeder and would be happy if you fed him scallop or oyster.
I do not have any of those unless he was eating my nassarius

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say "heated, only a little cold" did you match the temperature and salinity exactly- linkias are extremely sensitive to changes in temperature, salinity and pH. How old is the tank and how old is the star?
4 Months and Unknown but I know the licktia is at least 4 months and the water heated overnight but when I took the heater out for 2 minutes to pour it in, it turned a little cold

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
4 Months and Unknown but I know the licktia is at least 4 months and the water heated overnight but when I took the heater out for 2 minutes to pour it in, it turned a little cold
I also have a thriving anemone

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H
Is tube feet on the glass were moving very slowly I think

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He will eat snails and mollusks. Most starfish capture their prey and then invert their stomachs and digest what they have captured.
Would he eat my nassarius, he was quite small and I also have two Trochus who have been under him on the glass before

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ... he makes it pretty clear in the video how to handle the starfish.

If your water quality is not good (as it seems to be) then he isn't going to to do well. I would instead of focusing on the starfish work on your water quality issues.

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If your water quality is not good (as it seems to be) then he isn't going to to do well. I would instead of focusing on the starfish work on your water quality issues.
Nitrates, PH and Salinity?

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Should I put him upside down, I did that when I first put him in and when I moved him but I might do it again

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the thing about salt water aquariums, everyone thinks that they are easy ... they are not. The hard part is solving the problems that they present to you, as you are currently experiencing now.

I am unable to solve your problem and if I did you would miss an important learning opportunity. You need to start thinking about what might be wrong and what you can do to validate or discredit your theory. The scientific method is your best friend.

I hope that you can work out what is causing your tank grief. :)

Back