Dealing with A Bi-Color Blenny

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've been acclimating my quarantined Royal Gramma in an acclimation box for a few days now and while I haven't been watching it super closely, the first two days I would often see my bi-color blenny swimming around the front of it in what I assume was a display of aggression. The bi-color blenny is my only fish in the tank and it used to be housed with a flame hawkfish. The flame died a few weeks ago from what I assume was a bacterial infection because of aggression. I never did specifically see the blenny attack the hawkfish though and at times they'd just peacefully sit by each other. My worry is that despite using the acclimation box for its intended purpose, I'll be sentencing the royal gramma to death when I let it out.

I haven't seen the posturing behavior much lately but that doesn't mean the aggression won't start back up when the basslet is in the tank. Would it be safe to let the basslet out after a week or so and then monitor how they're getting along? I fear it'd be extremely difficult to get either into the acclimation box so I'm trying to see if I have other options. Capturing the blenny is going to be a herculean task in and of itself so I really want to weigh my options first. What would you suggest?

PeterZammetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've been acclimating my quarantined Royal Gramma in an acclimation box for a few days now and while I haven't been watching it super closely, the first two days I would often see my bi-color blenny swimming around the front of it in what I assume was a display of aggression. The bi-color blenny is my only fish in the tank and it used to be housed with a flame hawkfish. The flame died a few weeks ago from what I assume was a bacterial infection because of aggression. I never did specifically see the blenny attack the hawkfish though and at times they'd just peacefully sit by each other. My worry is that despite using the acclimation box for its intended purpose, I'll be sentencing the royal gramma to death when I let it out.

I haven't seen the posturing behavior much lately but that doesn't mean the aggression won't start back up when the basslet is in the tank. Would it be safe to let the basslet out after a week or so and then monitor how they're getting along? I fear it'd be extremely difficult to get either into the acclimation box so I'm trying to see if I have other options. Capturing the blenny is going to be a herculean task in and of itself so I really want to weigh my options first. What would you suggest?
One time I had a similar issue with a lawnmower blenny and royal as well. I segregated the blenny for a few days and fed him those disc algae wafers (which I usually don't use in display tank). When he went back in display every time I thought he would start to get aggressive I dropped a disc in the display then he seemed to remember being removed cause he eventually stopped going after the new addition.

OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One time I had a similar issue with a lawnmower blenny and royal as well. I segregated the blenny for a few days and fed him those disc algae wafers (which I usually don't use in display tank). When he went back in display every time I thought he would start to get aggressive I dropped a disc in the display then he seemed to remember being removed cause he eventually stopped going after the new addition.
Hm ok. How did you remove the guy exactly? I'm in a 125 gallon so I might need some method to get him into the acclimation box perhaps. I think I could repurpose it into a trap by luring him in there but I'm not sure if that'd be effective.

PeterZammetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm ok. How did you remove the guy exactly? I'm in a 125 gallon so I might need some method to get him into the acclimation box perhaps. I think I could repurpose it into a trap by luring him in there but I'm not sure if that'd be effective.
I actually don't ever use nets. I use a very small lee container to catch my fish but most of the time they come to the surface when I put my hands in the tank. Fish whisperer lol

Back