Dealing with Cyano in newish 13.5 gallon tank

Reedc200177

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are already threads on this and I've read them all, but I can't make up my mind on how to deal with cyano in my 13.5 fluval.

Tank has been setup 4 months now. I fishless cycled it for 2 mo and then added gulf live rock.
Params are:
Nitrates 5-10 (can't really tell for sure with salifert. Looks closer to 5.)
Phosphates 0.03 or less, again very subtle.
My Alk drops quickly but trying to keep it around 8. (Not sure why this happens but I figure that'd another thread. I dose 2 part ionic compound pretty much daily to try to keep it up.)
Ca 420
Mg 1350

Weekly water changes with red sea blue bucket.

I had a major bryopsis outbreak that I treated for 12 days with fluconazole, it now appears gone. The cyano has been a problem since the start, I regularly clean the rocks and siphon it off the sand bed, but within 24 hours sometimes it's back on the sand. Rock is a little slower. It seems to be penetrating deeper into the sand as time goes on.

I've tried cutting lighting but hasn't helped. I havent done a complete blackout because my macroalgae and coral seem to suffer. I'm hesitant to try peroxide or chemiclean because I had several big pieces of coral ride in as hitchhikers and I don't want to kill them, but I don't know what else to do. I also have anemones and inverts in the tank.

I'm not running anything in the filter except filter floss, carbon pad, bio balls, and ceramic rings it came with. I'm wondering if I need to remove these since I see them called a nitrate factory sometimes.

Several of the corals are sps that rode in, and I'm afraid to add anything that's going to totally strip the water too.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it really bad (i.e. smothering everything)?

PS the bioballs and ceramic rings are fine (same with carbon and floss). Nitrate factory is kina a myth as the only produce nitrate if you let them get covered in gunk and crud (i.e. they are supposed to handle ammonia and nitrite and only convert what you give them).

OP
OP
R

Reedc200177

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the ceramic rings and bag are kind of lightly covered in a brown sediment or gunk lol. Think I should trash them?

No, not covering everything but if I left it alone it probably would. I clean it off the rocks and siphon it off the sand bed whenever I do changes. Right now mostly in patches on the sand, but it seems to move quick, even after a huge water change.

It will try to grow on the tips of the macroalgae too if I let it

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the ceramic rings and bag are kind of lightly covered in a brown sediment or gunk lol. Think I should trash them?

No, not covering everything but if I left it alone it probably would. I clean it off the rocks and siphon it off the sand bed whenever I do changes. Right now mostly in patches on the sand, but it seems to move quick, even after a huge water change.

It will try to grow on the tips of the macroalgae too if I let it

You can rinse off the ceramic rings and stuff with tank water (swoosh them around during a water change. If they are getting really dirty, consider using more floss or trying another material for the mechanical filter.

If its annoying and growing fast, I would just get some chemiclean or red slime remover. It takes about 3 days but works well

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like typical new tank ugly phases. Avoid dumping chemicals. Should not have added SPS to a new tank. Cut lights to 6 hours with blue and uv only. Get a diverse cleaner crew. Siphone what you can. Add phytoplankton and good bacteria like PNS probio.

OP
OP
R

Reedc200177

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sps were hitch hikers, didn't intentionally add them, they came in on gulf live rock I ordered online. For what it's worth they seem to be doing well. I've been adding phyto, will look at PNS too. I've been wary of chemiclean etc. Due to the hitchhiker corals and inverts

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are SPS corals hitchhikers? Pretty distinctive, were they just attached to another frag you bought? Can't say I've heard of this 2 for 1 deal before.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sps were hitch hikers, didn't intentionally add them, they came in on gulf live rock I ordered online. For what it's worth they seem to be doing well. I've been adding phyto, will look at PNS too. I've been wary of chemiclean etc. Due to the hitchhiker corals and inverts

Chemiclean is safe with the inverts and what not.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemiclean won't hurt your corals or inverts but will open the door for dinos for you possibly.

OP
OP
R

Reedc200177

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are SPS corals hitchhikers? Pretty distinctive, were they just attached to another frag you bought? Can't say I've heard of this 2 for 1 deal before.
I ordered 20lbs gulf live rock from gulf live rock, sight unseen. What he sent me had several "wild" corals on them. This is taken from off Florida.

Www.gulfliverock.com

Got it there

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Your phos shows low. Generally, with Cyano Phos and even nitrate are elevated. Any pics for confirmation ?
What test kits do you use for Phos ?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Chemiclean is often an alternative and not a solution.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered 20lbs gulf live rock from gulf live rock, sight unseen. What he sent me had several "wild" corals on them. This is taken from off Florida.

Www.gulfliverock.com

Got it there
Well that was a wise start up move. Stay the course. Your new tank uglies will pass. Keep parameters stabil with nitrates at 10 and phosphate. 05 to .1.

OP
OP
R

Reedc200177

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your phos shows low. Generally, with Cyano Phos and even nitrate are elevated. Any pics for confirmation ?
What test kits do you use for Phos ?
Using salifert for both nitrates and phos. It's definitely significantly lighter than the 0.1 reading, possibly even lighter than 0.03 reading but I'll check again tonight and take a pic. Same with nitrates, definitely not as dark as 10, looks closer to 5.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Using salifert for both nitrates and phos. It's definitely significantly lighter than the 0.1 reading, possibly even lighter than 0.03 reading but I'll check again tonight and take a pic. Same with nitrates, definitely not as dark as 10, looks closer to 5.
5 would be elevated

OP
OP
R

Reedc200177

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With SPS I thought some amount of phosphate and nitrate was ideal? Is there a way to strike a balance and deal with the cyano?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 49 34.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 20.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 27 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back