DEAR HOBBY VETS: Would you suggest an AIO or Custom Pieced Together tank for someone BRAND NEW?

What Aquarium System would you suggest to someone BRAND SPANKING NEW?

• All In One (AIO)

Votes: 191 65.2%
  • Pieced together from purchased parts (custom)

Votes: 86 29.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 16 5.5%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
REMEMBER THIS IS FOR SOMEONE WHO IS BRAND SPANKING NEW TO THE HOBBY LOOKING TO GET INTO IT!

We have a lot of new members and new people actively looking to get into the saltwater reef aquarium hobby and one of the biggest hurdles is trying to decide what type of tank to start with! There are so many options including All In One (AIO) tanks to just building one from custom parts. Today I would like to hear what you would personally suggest to someone new looking to buy a tank!

What AQUARIUM SYSTEM would you suggest to someone BRAND SPANKING NEW and why?

fvvfver.png

Last edited:

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to advice new hobbiest as painful as it can be.

I would go old school in a second as hobby is over commercialized. (6) t5 bulb fixture over a 50 breeder with carefully metered kalk and ATO would get you through first several years.

Live sand and live rock would be biggest expense. Too much emphasis is placed on instant gratification. It takes 7 months to have this tank fill up with softies.

Dry rock, spot light LEDS, DC pumps etc are all just not needed.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there are too many variable(specifically around goals and budget) to give a single answer.

AIO tanks certainly have an advantage in terms of learning curve and understanding. The flip side is they can really limit a lot of options(or make them more difficult).

At the store I sell coral a lot of mostly used setups are sold and I would say the user satisfaction and success rate is much higher generally on those who purchase a standard tank and equipment versus AIO specifically if someone is wanting a mixed reef tank as the goal.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
25-50g AIO all day unless they have a very good friend/mentor that lives close to help them get everything setup properly.

The plumbing, electrical, sump order, all the different equipment, reactors, etc can become very daunting for someone new.

Any manufacturer in particular?

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering I just started the aio was an easier route, but not the best decision. 6 months in and I'm wishing I went bigger (I'm already upgrading). There's always going to be things to learn and I think going with the best setup you can afford is a better starting point. Smaller tanks arent necessarily easier to keep. While the setup of system with a sump is more daunting upfront I think the ability to reach stable parameters sooner may lead to more people staying interested in the hobby. Small tanks are hard to dial in as I've been learning.

If you're not 100% sure you're going to really enjoy the hobby a small aio tank is definitely the way to go.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I could do it all over I’d get a Cade. Just wasn’t an option when I got my Redsea system and I wish I went bigger but I had a budget. Sounds like a new tank in my future. Lol

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My vote is custom, or hybrid. I buy Red Sea Tanks as the plumbing and sumps are all included. Smaller tanks an AIO could be easier, I’m not 100% on AIO as to meaning. If it means all included in the tank (overflow return refuge etc I wouldn’t like it, as it eliminates options) ie skimmers, and other add in that go in sump. If AIO means like Red Sea where sump etc is included, I think that makes it easier for initial set-up. But included sumps may not have the room and options one might want.

I have the skills to plumb, wire, build stands etc, which is an advantage others might not share.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe something like a red sea reefer complete setup is great for beginners. Hopefully when they decide to take the plunge they are researching and may even have the help of the forum. That way they will have a basic understanding and support from the community to get up and running. Gives the person more freedom to do more with it when they get more experience. Aio is great but doesn't give the person the full plumbed, sump etc experience which I see as essential knowledge going forward in the hobby. But also I mean an aio is also perfectly good to start with heh

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve had aquariums since I was a child but my first reef tank was a 15gal AIO. Made it easy for me, even as someone who has had Fw my whole life. Granted that lasted about 3mo before I wanted a bigger tank and now have a 50gal AIO hahaha but I would 100% recommend an AIO. No valves to adjust, no plumbing. It’s like plug n play and a lot of kits (like my Waterbox) I got included lights, returns, filter socks, wave maker, mesh lid, and filter media.. so really only needed a heater and sand/rocks to start. And honestly it’s been such a low issue/low maintenance tank. No skimmer, no fuge, no UV, nothing. 2 years this week and haven’t done a single water change either. Well stocked Mixed reef and things are going great.

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any manufacturer in particular?
I’m not just saying this because I won the CADE aquarium (I became a fan when I saw their display models at MACNA 2022) but I’d suggest CADE to someone brand new to the hobby. The things they thought of regarding the sump and plumbing should be standard. They definitely raised the bar.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 55 29.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 39 20.7%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 22 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 65 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back