DEAR HOBBY VETS: Would you suggest an AIO or Custom Pieced Together tank for someone BRAND NEW?

What Aquarium System would you suggest to someone BRAND SPANKING NEW?

• All In One (AIO)

Votes: 191 65.2%
  • Pieced together from purchased parts (custom)

Votes: 86 29.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 16 5.5%

• Total voters

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would agree with this, also if you are new and are determined to buy big go Red Sea. They hold their value ( in case you decide to sell shortly after how daunting it is) it is also a well built tank. You get what you pay for!

They hold their value but not the water :p

Sorry, I couldn't resist

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Relatively new on the salt side of the hobby. I think I'm about to ask a really dumb question here, but, isn't the back chamber of an AIO basically a sump, just on a smaller scale? If that's true, then is the main purpose of an external sump is just to have the ability to fit equipment like reactors, scrubbers, skimmers, UVs, etc.?

Extra water volume and hide equipment. Usually better equipment since size restrictions don't come into play as much.

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess if the Red Sea Reefer series is considered an AIO, then that. If an AIO is the kind with the back compartment then not that.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hhmm, sounds like you need some acros! Although I am a macro algae, softie gal myself. Again part of keeping it simple.
Unless I get myph solved, acros not in my future anymore.

Last edited:

GDiaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe a beginner should even consider buying AOI setups, there are too many challenges new reefers face in their first two years, space constraints on equipment should not be one of them.

The ideal setup for a beginner should be comfortably sized for their budget, expandable, reliable, and not dependant on a certain brand or manufacturer should something go horribly wrong.
I can understand & relate to this view. I’m one year into the hobby and now purchasing gear to go into an AF Oceanguard 605. After asking my go to LFS for options, ideas and feedback, also doing tons of research, this was the best fit for me. I had to evaluate my capabilities also how much I was willing to invest with my time and budget.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still new to the reef hobby but I have many many years in fresh water. I had x amount of money. In my mind, For an aio I could do is a nano reef. I knew that would not keep my interest very long. I had a 60 gallon tall 48 12 24 I believe, for fresh water with very good equipment. I was an indoor grower at one time and had a t5 48 inch 4 lamp fixture. I ordered ati bulbs, studied and watch many a ytube videos from brs. Then turned my fresh to salt. Only added my t5, live sand and livestock. It still cost me a 500.+ to get it up and running with basic coral. Used aio setups are still expensive and then you have to get the coral, sand rock most used don't come with lights, protein skimmer and most of the equipment is already wore out, so there goes another 1000.00...my 60 however is up and running growing coral, over time the equipment was upgraded to better as money became available ... So I say if you have limited money you can start with what you have and piece together as you go and the whole time you will be enjoying a reef tank and leaning as you go

choob99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had a tank for a few years now and I'm still planning my current one, I was gonna go the route of a reef ready seapora 180 but after looking at prices I'm gonna do a 96" Planet Aquarium, the price difference really isn't that much considering what you are getting.....I'm a firm believer in get as BIG as you can possibly afford, AIO's may be nice from an "ease of setup" point of view but they are limiting and often odd\not standard sizes, plus you are mostly stuck with the setup that system comes with.....I like to be able to change out things that aren't working and as I side, size is a huge issue with EVERYONE in this hobby, even if you don't ever upgrade, you always want to lol So go as big as possible the first time and grow into it slowly, there is nothing wrong with having 2 clownfish and some rock in 250\300 gallon and you slowly take your time as you can afford to add things you want as you go, the space is there and you aren't constantly upgrading new and bigger equipment with each upgrade you do

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AIO didn't exist when I got in the hobby. Seems like a waste of money if you're going to upgrade in less than a year. I also question what you really learn from using an AIO.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in the hobby for 20+ years. I've had more than 10 tanks over that time, from 16g to 180g with a 180g sump and a 75g secondary attached tank. (sometimes 4 and 5 at once). I just gave up on a 90g with a sump. I've done smaller tanks with HOB filters and HOB skimmers... but they are so ugly!

So I just got a Fuji aio insert for a 40g breeder I owned. I think the bigger end of the aio tanks (40 to 75g) are just fine for almost anything.

I'm now building a 40g cube (DIY) and having Tenecor build a custom aio inset for that tank. In a year or 2... or 3... I'll decide which one I want to keep full time. And as easy as they seem to be to care for, I may just keep both!

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoe high is yout Alk
9/10. Going to have to drop it to 7 then continue dosing kalk until desired ph reached. Problem is getting something in there to start consuming alk or stop dosing carbon and do WC until I establish coralline algae to offset the alk rise from dosing ph to offset the high room CO2. Just a nightmare. Perhaps softies in my future. That wouldn’t be so bad. Less hassle

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I'm not a veteran to the hobby. Been in maybe 6 years. I started with a red Sea max nano. Everyone said go bigger for stability but the lfs guy said this was my best bet for a start. After upgrading to a reefer 350 and still running my max nano, the lfs guy was correct. Still have my original clowns and just lost my original ywg in the nano. It's sooo much easier to do a 50% water change or 20% each week. 5 gallons vs 20? Dosing is easier for simple corals. You don't get as much wow factor but for a beginner, yes. I'm even thinking of down grading back to just my nano and clowns (no fish ever made it to the reefer 350) just crabs, snails, coral, anemone. Heck, my rbta does better in a very neglected nano than a less neglected reefer350. I also have a nuvo20 and much prefer the dimensions of the max nano and the ai prime light. I actually had 2 prime lights for awhile

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I'm not a veteran to the hobby. Been in maybe 6 years. I started with a red Sea max nano. Everyone said go bigger for stability but the lfs guy said this was my best bet for a start. After upgrading to a reefer 350 and still running my max nano, the lfs guy was correct. Still have my original clowns and just lost my original ywg in the nano. It's sooo much easier to do a 50% water change or 20% each week. 5 gallons vs 20? Dosing is easier for simple corals. You don't get as much wow factor but for a beginner, yes. I'm even thinking of down grading back to just my nano and clowns (no fish ever made it to the reefer 350) just crabs, snails, coral, anemone. Heck, my rbta does better in a very neglected nano than a less neglected reefer350. I also have a nuvo20 and much prefer the dimensions of the max nano and the ai prime light. I actually had 2 prime lights for awhile
I agree. So far I have very little intention of putting any fish in either of my 40g aio tanks. I have enough other live inverts to make me happy. I'm even thinking of doing one tank as a small predator tank... fire worms, mantis shrimp, upside down jellyfish, anemones, carnivore crabs, dwarf lion fish... and I can collect almost all of those legally when we snorkel in the Keys!

Anybody got any other possible predators I could use?

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are too finicky which is why they are not in my future, LOL.
Honestly, nothing wrong with mushrooms. Less lights. Less tight tolerance of parameters. Imagine not having to be in such a narrow range on phosphates? Dirty tanks much easier to achieve. Sticks are nice but stones covered in coralline and mushrooms is nice too. Lots of softy solutions. If GSP was purple I'd load the rocks with that. :cool:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back