Debating on Replacing My Substrate - Need Advice for Nitrates

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Otherwise your looking at 3 to 6 months of constant water changes keeping the water lower then what you want the end balance to be so you can leach it out of the sand and rock by removal and or replacement you will reduce the leaching thus reducing the time required to achieve a safe balance

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you will leach almkst the same amount from the rocks durring a water change as you would of the sand and rocks thus speeding up the prosses

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removing sand as it’s issues too, sand can easily be cleaned, the sand is not the issue it’s the muck that hasn’t been cleaned from it.

if you prefer the look of a bare bottom then remove it, but I wouldn’t remove the sand thinking you will be removing an issue as others will take the sands place.
Go with your preferred look for a tank.

oldmonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option is take a sample of yr tank water and check it at a local LFS if that's doable easily. This idea mite sound silly, but some times test kits show erratic readings..
Once again if everything looks ok, and if nitrate is the only thing worrying you , i would say don't chase numbers. If there is something really wrong in the system, it will manifest itself some way or the other.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO you have too many fish, keeping up with their dietary needs will naturally lead to higher nitrates, again IMO
I have a 23 gallon display with 1 carnivore and 1 herbivore and it's at max bioload IMO.
I'd say follow what Reef. said and also consider lowering your fish population

OP
OP
Nevada Wiseguy

Nevada Wiseguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a trigger in a 32 gallon that’s crazy amount of waste with that one fish. Problem solved.
Ironically, a lot of my problems started after I got that fish. Never put two and two together. Either way, the tank fully crashed yesterday and I lost everything.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back