Debating the switch to Triton ... however...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to get on board with this system but a few things are of concern.

My sump does have a refugium but it is not quite the recommended size. My system water volume is about 180 gallons and the sump I estimate to be around 10 gallons. It does house a nice ball of chaeto...

Currently I am using BRS 2 part to meet my calcium and alkalinity demand @ 115mL of each per day to maintain my alkalinity @ 9dKh (hanna) and calcium @ 450 ppm (salifert). My tank is well stocked with stony corals. Does this equate out to the same amount of the triton solution? If so the cost couldn't be done.

I also currently carbon dose via diy NOPOX (Vinegar/vodka) - how does this equate?

OP
OP
D

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halp!

More or less I'm trying to determine if this is feasible (both financially and systematically).

If I need to dose 115mL of this stuff a day... that's like $200 a month just in additives.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you shouldn't need to dose that much. It's more concentrated.
You're going to start off with only 15-20 ml/day and see how much it drops over 24 hours and go from there.

OP
OP
D

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you shouldn't need to dose that much. It's more concentrated.
You're going to start off with only 15-20 ml/day and see how much it drops over 24 hours and go from there.

Hmmm is this based on some data? I am trying to actually find someone that switched and has a comparison. Logic tells me you can only concentrate alkalinity and calcium so much into a solution.

I really do want to switch but not until I have all the facts...

..the quest continues

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The elements work out that for every .1 ml u dose is equal to .1 dkh for 50 gallons

So how much alk do u consume a day for easy math say it is 1 full dkh a day u would dose 30ml a day (u have a 180 with rock displacement and such I rounded down to 150 gallons which 50 goes into 3 times so 3x10= 30ml)

OP
OP
D

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The elements work out that for every .1 ml u dose is equal to .1 dkh for 50 gallons

So how much alk do u consume a day for easy math say it is 1 full dkh a day u would dose 30ml a day (u have a 180 with rock displacement and such I rounded down to 150 gallons which 50 goes into 3 times so 3x10= 30ml)

I actually do have 180g with displacement - so that's like 40ml /day. That means it would cost me roughly $60 every 20 days or $90 month just to add alk. Jesus.

Maybe my math is wrong.

I would actually do it if results were garunteed.

Currently I use fauna Marin trace elements in addition to brs 2 part.

Is it worth it?

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually do have 180g with displacement - so that's like 40ml /day. That means it would cost me roughly $60 every 20 days or $90 month just to add alk. Jesus.

Maybe my math is wrong.

Currently I use fauna Marin trace elements in addition to brs 2 part.

Is it worth it?
Ok so here ya go is it worth it that's for u to decide I like it tho and everything is growing for me.

So on to ur math if ur loosening one dkh a day with 180 gallon tank (u did ur math for a 200 gallon tank) it would be roughly 35 ml a day (I have also found it's a little lower) so You would be buying the core elements once a month 1000/35=28.5 days. So I have no idea where u got 60 and 90 dollars from but the set is $52 with free shipping at BRS. And that's for all four bottles not just the alk.

And I bet ur around that much right now with u buying salt and two two parts along with ur water bill that and how it's really just so easy. I spend ten mins a day on my tank and an hour or so on the weekends there is no fiddling test for alk everyday and that's it to me that alone is worth it but I only have a 90. And once again this is based off u loseing 1 dkh a day if ur loseing less then it gets cheaper.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing in this hobby is guaranteed. ;)
Triton is just another form of dosing. The difference is that you forgo water changes by dosing all the trace elements you would normally be replenishing with water changes, and in amounts that should keep you really close to NSW levels.
Additional filtration beyond a skimmer is provided by a large algae bed. And the concept is that you should get some sort of carbon dosing out of algae that dies and breaks down.
If this is appealing to you, then give it a shot.
With the money saved on salt, you should not be spending any more than you are spending now.
And as far as the amount dosed with one systems vs another, they are not all the same. I dosed much less per day with Triton than I do with ESV Bionic. A larger jug of ESV is cheaper though. In the end, price is probably similar.

OP
OP
D

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of these make sense.

The last piece before I switch is -

Since i don't have a 10% water volume refugium (more like 5%) and will be using the "non triton" triton method (if that makes sense? Right?) What do I do with my current carbon dosing for nutrient removal via skimmer?

I just use the "other methods" products?

Ares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I'm bringing back a 3 month old thread but I'm curious if you switched and how did the cost compare?
I'm considering going this route with my new system and am interested in the cost difference between the two.

With Triton ... less water, get more out of RODI filters, no 2 part to dose, no salt for weekly water changes....and all that adds up to more free time as well

If the monthly costs are equal or even a little higher with Triton then I'm switching.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one other thing to think about is removal of toxic metals through water changes. Some people don't need to worry about that, I however certainly due. I suspect it's due to water source but feeding also has something to add. I happen to have well water, and its very high in iron and copper. I used to promote no water changes for a long time several years ago, which can absolutely work, just not for me. I have a need to do at least 20% a week or else I begin to get some metals and coral health declines.

I do like the triton elementz though out of all the dosing brands I've tried. Cost when actually broken down is very cheap, comparable to making your own mix. You certainly won't go wrong with using the triton elementz regardless of what else your doing. For me it's just about keeping everything available that is supposed to be available, in between water changes. I also run a large refuge, large skimmer, and GAC.

Given up on phosban and/or GFO as these seem to add more concerns than what they remove. Learned that the hard way as well.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the new way they are packaging these elementz is not much different than the old way. I'm not sure why they are trying to get people away from mixing them now. I actually continued mixing them in equal amounts just like before and it all works out just fine.

Edit : mixing with rodi for clarification

Last edited:

nosmok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one other thing to think about is removal of toxic metals through water changes. Some people don't need to worry about that, I however certainly due. I suspect it's due to water source but feeding also has something to add. I happen to have well water, and its very high in iron and copper. I used to promote no water changes for a long time several years ago, which can absolutely work, just not for me. I have a need to do at least 20% a week or else I begin to get some metals and coral health declines.

I do like the triton elementz though out of all the dosing brands I've tried. Cost when actually broken down is very cheap, comparable to making your own mix. You certainly won't go wrong with using the triton elementz regardless of what else your doing. For me it's just about keeping everything available that is supposed to be available, in between water changes. I also run a large refuge, large skimmer, and GAC.

Given up on phosban and/or GFO as these seem to add more concerns than what they remove. Learned that the hard way as well.

The other part of Triton is sending your tank water in for testing to Triton and supplementing or using their heavy metal chelators as indicated by your results.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other part of Triton is sending your tank water in for testing to Triton and supplementing or using their heavy metal chelators as indicated by your results.
Which only needs to be done a few times a year once you're cruising, and this is not isolated to the full Triton Method anyway.
Many of us already use the Triton test kits, regardless of how we run our tanks.

OP
OP
D

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I'm bringing back a 3 month old thread but I'm curious if you switched and how did the cost compare?
I'm considering going this route with my new system and am interested in the cost difference between the two.

With Triton ... less water, get more out of RODI filters, no 2 part to dose, no salt for weekly water changes....and all that adds up to more free time as well

If the monthly costs are equal or even a little higher with Triton then I'm switching.

I actually did switch!

SO a few things: The cost is actually a little less I believe but the clutter and headache of keeping up with different use rates of different additives is gone which is a HUGE plus for me. 4 bottles you buy at one time to cover everything? Yes please.

As far as performance though - I have noticed some deepening of colors but also some troubling signs with slower growth and polyp extension. HOWEVER I also changed my lighting and carbon dosing regime so the tank is very likely in turmoil over the cumulative effect of all the changes (which I should've done gradually).

I haven't updated my build thread to reflect the new dosing set up but will soon.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back