Debating the use of LED's in Mike Paletta's new tank

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I find funny is I use halides and I like them a lot But even I know LEDs can and will grow Corals just as good as halides and it has been proven time and time again
Wwc Sanjay vivid battlecorals and soon palettes tank (off the top of my head)

A grandis since I have seen him on this website has always diss on leds which just gets old
Grandis the MACNA video from Tulio that you posted means what?
Have u talked to Tulio in real life been to his shop and actually picked his brain?
You must have Reefbrite pendants like me right?
O no tulios pendants and ballast didn’t work out for you did they? But u don’t tell people that u only tell them what u want to hear.

And the icing on the cake where is you fts? If your going to bash leds the way u do In every light thread you should at least have a photo of ur world renown tank that can make sanjays and wwc look like as bad as the leds they run
But u don’t and u won’t
all you have is words that’s it
sure there are plenty of halide tanks run with success but halides have been around from the beginning of the hobby so of course there is going to be more success stories of halides over leds but it doesn’t mean leds can’t do the same job

Ur bashing progress in our hobby for what? U have ur opinion and that’s great but stop forceing it on us say what u beleive and move on don’t question one of the best hobbyist ever because he wants to run his tank with leds
How about you open up ur mind and see that esp in this hobby there are multiple ways to get to the same point

Ps We’re still waiting for a picture of ur tank so U can prove ur point that leds can’t grow corals but from the zero photos U have put up I would say halides can’t grow Corals for u

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I find funny is I use halides and I like them a lot But even I know LEDs can and will grow Corals just as good as halides and it has been proven time and time again

A grandis since I have seen him on this website has always diss on leds which just gets old
Have u talked to Tulio in real life been to his shop and actually picked his brain?
O no tulios pendants and ballast didn’t work out for you did they? But u don’t tell people that u only tell them what u want to hear.

And the icing on the cake where is you fts? If your going to bash leds the way u do In every light thread you should at least have a photo of ur world renown tank that can make sanjays and wwc look like as bad as the leds they run
But u don’t and u won’t
sure there are plenty of halide tanks run with success but halides have been around from the beginning of the hobby so of course there is going to be more success stories of halides over leds but it doesn’t mean leds can’t do the same job

Ur bashing progress in our hobby for what? U have ur opinion and that’s great but stop forceing it on us say what u beleive and move on don’t question one of the best hobbyist ever because he wants to run his tank with leds
How about you open up ur mind and see that esp in this hobby there are multiple ways to get to the same point

Ps We’re still waiting for a picture of ur tank so U can prove ur point that leds can’t grow corals but from the zero photos U have put up I would say halides can’t grow Corals for u

You nailed it man!

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But u don’t and u won’t

Mic drop

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone here want to comment on that video?
He is not a scientist and also makes leds.
Anyone selling things should be looked at with scepticism and taken with a grain of sat.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But u don’t and u won’t

I’ve seen it. He lives in Hawaii so it’s all zoas Wal to Wall.
Its nice.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ADMIN NOTE: This post and a number of posts under it were moved from Mike Paletta's build thread in order to keep that thread on topic. You can find that build thread here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-new-tank-by-mike-paletta.424677/

------------------------------------------------------------------

It is imperative to publish the truth about the facts! Period!
If a famous author, well considered and respected among many, as an example for so many years, drop off that type of flaming on halides just to promote LEDs... well, we need to consider the facts! Opinions and preferences are well accepted and respected, but the way he did was very unfortunate to say the least.
With all the respect ladies and gentlemen!
Whoever tries to diminish halides and promote LEDs either wants to promote the LEDs at any cost, or has absolutely no idea what halides are capable of. I think Mr. Paletta should know how good halides are. His best tank had halides for God's sake!
Such a sad scenario going on with LED marketing!
What about the contradictory way things went? His very best system of all times had halides!!
It's in the article!!
on-top-right-jpg.793465

Peace.
On further reflection, I find this whole situation quite upsetting on many levels.

I’ll not comment further.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man why is this guy so hurt by someone using LEDs.

You would think he is a MH vendor.

Oh.

Wait.

Also, notice whenever you ask @A. grandis to show a photo of his magical MH tank, he claims he is being bullied.

Probably jealous that Paletta can grow corals.

Edit:

look at his thread history. The majority of it is just trying to bash LEDs. He has no personal content, as in a photo of his, whatsoever.

https://www.reef2reef.com/search/4197270/

Just troll IMHO

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot I also have three reefbrite XHO lights as well. 85% of the LEDs work. I guess I could sell them to someone for cheap. I forgot that I kept my old lights.

So anyway, I guess I have 14 LED fixtures, not 11. I am sincerely sorry for any I have harmed.

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This whole thread is in poor taste and should be deleted. Bullying a bully is still bullying, an activity I am sure Reef2reef frowns upon. FWIW I am not defending either of the positions in this thread, only pointing out I find the spirit of the thread and it’s tone to be distasteful.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This whole thread is in poor taste and should be deleted. Bullying a bully is still bullying, an activity I am sure Reef2reef frowns upon. FWIW I am not defending either of the positions in this thread, only pointing out I find the spirit of the thread and it’s tone to be distasteful.
The only position I see is he need to stop. This isn’t an lighting thread it’s a thread about his continued behavior and how it’s finally crossed a line.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s funny that with the proven success and business owners actually putting they business in the line using LEDs (WWC,vivid, JF etc etc) this is an actual debate. LEDs are moving the hobby forward I want people to buy cheap LEDs strips and have successful tanks that means I could convinced more of my friends into this hobby(I got 3 so far 2 are cyclyn as we speak). When people see my tank and ask what do they need to do to have a reef tank my first topic is light since it’s the most expensive not just because of the initial cost but permanent monthly light bill increased which even LEDs do. Most of my friends are married with kids and they act like their in charged but we all know who’s the real boss, they can’t go and say oh honey I was bored so I grabbed a few Ks from our savings to buy special lights to light up some fishes lll . But anyways the drawback is usually oh wait that’s wayyyy too expensive for fish but the ones I e convinced are starting with cheap used LEDs, now if they get deep into the hobby I’m sure lights will be their priority since it’s probably the most expensive and important piece of equipment we use. why not be all in for success of cheap, adjustable and reusable equipment that can’t last several long years ? It’s 2018 for gods sake we are about to send people to Mars and a rich Japanese billionaire with a music band to the moon for the heck of it. why keep using methods from the pass?if we have new ones that work? Ain’t options a good thing in most of the things we do? Why in this hobby is not ?

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am betting either can be awesome, I just chose to not learn a new technology and went with what I was used to using and stuck with halides coming back after a decade break.

I would love to see a real world growoff in the same tank with a green slimer, one side ushio 10K the other LED in whatever is best configured for growth. My corals always grew like weed under 6.5 and 10K didn't look the best but grew

Also not to debate it per say, but businesses that I have used across the board make the switch to LED for $$$ savings as well. If I were a grow out and could cut my electric bill by 70% I would live with perhaps not optimal conditions.

Last edited:

Peter K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the end of the day, halides work and leds work. Mike has been an inspiration for many of us in this hobby and I highly highly highly doubt he would do anything, on purpose, that would negatively impact the health of his reef, ie using leds over halides. Mikes fish room is pretty small and in earlier American reef videos when he made the switch from halides to leds over his 300 he gave logical reasoning as to why he was doing so. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and mine is I’m extremely excited to see Mike’s build progress in whatever direction he decides to take it.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot I also have three reefbrite XHO lights as well. 85% of the LEDs work. I guess I could sell them to someone for cheap. I forgot that I kept my old lights.

So anyway, I guess I have 14 LED fixtures, not 11. I am sincerely sorry for any I have harmed.

Do those extra bars happen to be 48” actinics?:confused:

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am betting either can be awesome, I just chose to not learn a new technology and went with what I was used to using and stuck with halides coming back after a decade break.

I would love to see a real world growoff in the same tank with a green slimer, one side ushio 10K the other LED in whatever is best configured for growth. My corals always grew like weed under 6.5 and 10K didn't look the best but grew

Also not to debate it per say, but businesses that I have used across the board make the switch to LED for $$$ savings as well. If I were a grow out and could cut my electric bill by 70% I would live with perhaps not optimal conditions.

Ecotech did that, growth comparisons, in their CoralLab. Not that they would have any reasons to be biased :D

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seen tanks with halides struggle at keeping corals alive forget about growing them fast. Just too many variables in a tank to say of
They are growing this way exclusively because of the lights. This ain’t golf that only depends on a single person to have to success. It’s a joint effort starting with the actual individual followed by his equipment and attention to details, the time and effort they put into their tank. But once all that is in place yes MAYBE the lights can be a factor but who’s to say ?

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last one i promise lol.

The single most annoying line I kept reading when I was doing light research was the halides crew say “yeah let’s talk in a year or 2 and see if LEDs will keep your corals healthy” or “your tank is 70% of what it could be because of LEDs” smashing peoples actually success

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back