Decent Rockscape or Redo?

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I built this scape and was really excited about it, because I wanted something tiered that was easy to put frags on.
Now that it is in the tank I'm worried about coverage and if the top tier is even usable because I'd say it's maybe 9" to 6" at tallest point below water line.

My original idea for this build was a softie tank with maybe a anemone centerpiece near top, but now I don't even know if acros would like that much light and flow on that top tier. Basically the return pump hits right over the center of the top tier.

I'm partially tempted to going back to the drawing board, but I really liked this idea originally. If I keep this scape, I'll definitely have to get another light because the shading is pretty bad.

Any suggestions? I feel like scaping a cube is so hard now after my second one. Lol

IMG_20200320_203859.jpg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy lines. I agree you may have difficulty at the top. Although, a pretty encrusting or plating montipora may be fine. If you are sticking with softies, they do not mind the shade for some of them. I would get a nem for the bottom instead and grow some zoas and mushrooms up the rocks.
This is technically not my style at all, but trying to throw some ideas out for you.
Good luck!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an idea. What if you removed the top two rocks, angle the shelf piece on the left side from the bottom shelf to the next to break up the horizontal feel a little bit, and place the round one in the sand to house (and confine) any more prolific softie you want to put into the tank? Again, just an idea.

OP
OP
Reefer37

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an idea. What if you removed the top two rocks, angle the shelf piece on the left side from the bottom shelf to the next to break up the horizontal feel a little bit, and place the round one in the sand to house (and confine) any more prolific softie you want to put into the tank? Again, just an idea.
I'm trying to exactly picture what you mean for the top shelf piece. Are you saying like glue it to the bottom shelf angled upward or what?

I like the idea!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to exactly picture what you mean for the top shelf piece. Are you saying like glue it to the bottom shelf angled upward or what?

I like the idea!
Yeah. Maybe glue it from the left edge of the bottom shelf to the edge of the next.

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a sandwich from Scooby Doo...I would cut it in half and think more horizontally...

I almost laughed my coffee out of my nose on that one. Rooby Rooby Dooooo.....

Don't want to sound harsh here, but OP, you did ask for relp (sorry, got the Scooby thing goin on now). I'd go back to the drawing board. To me, it just looks too padoda. Too leaning tower. Too much like those stacks of rocks you see next to a waterfall or all of the stacked up rocks next to that dude's crazy clay/paint hill near the Salton Sea.

I think you can do more with what you have! Don't settle - you'll have to look at it every day for awhile. Experiment with what you have using the rule of thirds. I think Jake did a short video on reefbuilders a while back on using the rule of thirds as a design aid in aquascaping. Play with it!

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the comment above. Please don't take the criticism as harsh!
The best bit of advice I can give from personal experience is try a few scapes dry (mark out the dimensions on the floor and wall) and see what you come up with. Take some pictures so you can see which ones you like. Once you find a good one then leave it in the tank for a few days and just keep looking at it to see if you're happy. My Scape honestly took about 2 months to get right and I literally ended up changing it slightly within a week of starting the cycle! Be patient and you'll be happy further down the line!

Scape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey welcome to world of aquascapeing, think about the live stock e.g some will need caves and think about were you might want to place corals in the future, my advice would be firstly have some clearance as you will definitely need to clean the glass, open it up dont clump it all together or it just looks like a stack of rocks which you cant see behind, fish and inverts will hide in spots and you wont be able to see them which is part of this hobby watching your livestock, experiment with levels have some high but not too high and have some low, some times it fun to see an invert just hanging on a rock high up in the corner some where and also have some empty spots between the rocks as it's fun to see the fish swim in out of them, there is a plethora of images of other reefs take some inspiration from them, aquascapeing is not just about how YOU want it to look but what your livestock will enjoy and feel comfortable in. This is just my advice you can take it or do whatever suits you just remember your reef will mature and as it does and so will you and what you think looks nice know might not be practical for fish, inverts and corals in the future.Hey welcome to world of aquascapeing, think about the live stock e.g some will need caves and think about were you might want to place corals in the future, my advice would be firstly have some clearance as you will definitely need to clean the glass, open it up dont clump it all together or it just looks like a stack of rocks which you cant see behind, fish and inverts will hide in spots and you wont be able to see them which is part of this hobby watching your livestock, experiment with levels have some high but not too high and have some low, some times it fun to see an invert just hanging on a rock high up in the corner some where and also have some empty spots between the rocks as it's fun to see the fish swim in out of them, there is a plethora of images of other reefs take some inspiration from them, aquascapeing is not just about how YOU want it to look but what your livestock will enjoy and feel comfortable in. This is just my advice you can take it or do whatever suits you just remember your reef will mature and as it does and so will you and what you think looks nice know might not be practical for fish, inverts and corals in the future.

PicsArt_04-04-01.04.01.jpg

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about angling the stack diagonally . Have the bottom shelf pointed toward the front left . Then you could have your second shelf at a 90degree angle , the top shelf directly on top of that shelf . And the remaining piece can be an island in the sand for something you want to keep contained to that spot

OP
OP
Reefer37

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the input and in-depth comments.
This tank is getting reworked and re-scaped and not sure future plans, but will update down the road when I figure it out. Going to take time to focus on the my DT for now.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 62 36.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back