Deciding on a refugium light

Which refugium light do you prefer?

• Total voters

0utworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running an IM nuvo 20 and thinking of growing chaeto in one of the back chambers. I've come across two similarly-priced fuge light that are small enough to fit:

-Innovative Marine ChaetoMax 2-n-1 LED
-Tunze EcoChic Waterproof Refugium LED 8831

The Tunze light is submergible, which would really save me the effort of cutting up the black film behind the back chamber, but its light spectrum (Image 1) seems less specific than superior, expensive lights (e.g. Kessil H380).
On the other hand, the IM light specifically emits blue and red light (Image 2), and generally has less favourable reviews than the Tunze light.
Does anyone have experience with either lights and would like to throw in their two cents?

Much appreciated.

Screen Shot 2020-01-12 at 8.14.56 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-01-12 at 8.14.44 AM.png

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never run a nanofuge before, but I've seen a lot of positive feedback about the submersible lights. In my experience, intensity seems to be more of a factor for good macro growth than having the perfect spectrum. Don't get me wrong. Spectrum IS important. I'm sure you'll get more experienced responses soon.

And a belated welcome to R2R as well. It's great to have you with us.

OP
OP
0utworld

0utworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never run a nanofuge before, but I've seen a lot of positive feedback about the submersible lights. In my experience, intensity seems to be more of a factor for good macro growth than having the perfect spectrum. Don't get me wrong. Spectrum IS important. I'm sure you'll get more experienced responses soon.

And a belated welcome to R2R as well. It's great to have you with us.

Thanks Auquanut, I really appreciate it. I also really like the submersible feature.

Ly78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never used either but i guess with submersible lights will be added heat and the light will need more frequent cleaning as algae will start growing on it.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tunze light was one I was going to buy during the Black Friday sales, but they were sold out immediately! But, I personally wouldn't put money into a chaeto light! There are so many posts on how awesome people are able to grow chaeto with any basic 6500K light you can get from Home Depot. There are also Par38 grow lights all over Amazon that are designed with a specific growth spectrum for plants around the $10-$20 bulb price. If I had a couple hundred dollars burning a hole in my pocket, I'd definitely be able to find something else for my tank, lol. Start with the cheap and then go with the expensive if it doesn't work for you.

OP
OP
0utworld

0utworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tunze light was one I was going to buy during the Black Friday sales, but they were sold out immediately! But, I personally wouldn't put money into a chaeto light! There are so many posts on how awesome people are able to grow chaeto with any basic 6500K light you can get from Home Depot. There are also Par38 grow lights all over Amazon that are designed with a specific growth spectrum for plants around the $10-$20 bulb price. If I had a couple hundred dollars burning a hole in my pocket, I'd definitely be able to find something else for my tank, lol. Start with the cheap and then go with the expensive if it doesn't work for you.

That's a very good point. However, since I'm growing chaeto in one of my AIO back chambers, space is definitely a limitation. So I probably couldn't fit a full sized bulb.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Like others said, I wouldnt invest over 50$ in the light. The one I linked works well and although not submersable it is water proof. Mine is drenched in water and salt creep and works through it all. Very easy to clean as well.,

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a IM nuvo 20 P and I use the IM CheatoMax on a Figicube HOB refugium(added 1.5 gallons to my overall water volume, that was a plus). The light grows cheato great, I'm completely happy with it.
DSC02562.JPG
DSC02562.JPG
DSC02560.JPG
DSC02561.JPG

OP
OP
0utworld

0utworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Like others said, I wouldnt invest over 50$ in the light. The one I linked works well and although not submersable it is water proof. Mine is drenched in water and salt creep and works through it all. Very easy to clean as well.,

I can't seem to see the link you posted. Do you mind posting again? Thanks.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I thought long and hard about using this light but I was limited on space and it wouldn't fit. There is a good video on youtube where someone makes a refugium out of a Aquaclear 70 and uses this light. It would be also be a very good choice. It's made in China by North Koreans that were imported from Japan if it matters.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't seem to see the link you posted. Do you mind posting again? Thanks.

Ya not sure why I cant see it either, search this on Amazon.

ACKE LED Grow Lights Fixtures Plant Lights 24W for Plants' Seedlings Hydroponics Green House Aeroponics Herbs Veg. Flower (SMD with Switch)

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much totally agree. One thing I do like about the submersible concept is the corrosion factor. I've had some heavy metal and aluminum issues in ICP tests that I believe were attributable to rust (internal and external) on a china ufo style light. It can also happen to an inexpensive clamp lamp, though there are certainly steps you can take to prevent or minimize.

Fishtheatre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the IM and though it’s only been running a month, so far so good on growing my chaeto. The reviews seemed to be mostly positive.

5BA26761-3E18-4AB5-973C-8C1203620489.jpeg

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat.... I don't necessarily like the look of the pink lights, i understand they have better spectrum for algae. My solution although overkill , i will use Kessil h160 Tuna Flora (Pink light) and Kessil a160 Tuna sun (Daylight LED). Best of both worlds and hopefully growth for the various type of algae i plan on keeping.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back