Decisions, Decisions, Decisions, Part 2

Nep2nRevision3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my old 120g tank that was mostly sps corals I was selling a lot of frags. Every so often somebody fairly new would come over to buy a frag or two and they would see the tank and start in on all the questions. Personally, I love talking about the hobby because I struggled more than I was really comfortable with back when I started. And anything I can do to help others deal with costs and curveballs this hobby can throw at you, I'm happy to try and help. That's why this is going to be a series of about 20 articles hopefully at the rate of about one per week.

Absolutely enjoy talking reef. Usually the person asking questions gets tired of asking long before I get tired of talking. I've helped numerous friends/friends of friends over the years set up tanks (I'm a plumber by trade, just seems to go hand in hand) and learn the basics of testing and maintaining.

I guess I was alluding more to the question of cost as you address here. So many variables, really no way to tell someone what "their" tank will ultimately cost based on the decisions they make.

I look forward to your series.

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks, I look forward to many more entertaining discussions. And I didn't realize that I would get a social improvement in my life when I started this hobby. What a bonus!

You are right about the costs. Just try and do a quality flow chart for a newbie reefer. You get in a few steps and the chart starts going all over the place and one early move can have indirect consequences that prohibit your ability to do something else you might want to do downstream without a significant rebuild!

Even now I'm thinking of building a new tank to replace my 40g cube. It's not that I really want to go bigger (I've been there already). But I'd like to take my time and build the ultimate (for me) small tank that is easy to maintain. Something like a 3'x2'x20" tank with an all glass overflow out the back of the tank and wavemakers below the overflow on the back glass. But that can make them hard to get out when I need to perform maintenance. So I'm still thinking it over.

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This article is timely for me as I am preparing my tank and equipment for sale. I recently sold all of the livestock, including the live rock so I am down to dry goods. I have a very nice Cadlights 100 gallon tank with a custom contemporary/modern stand and a 50 gallon sump/refugium with everything needed to set it back up for about $1500. Everything is used but in excellent, like new condition for a fraction of the cost of new. I am going to get some pics up later today in the "sale" forum but here is what it looked like just prior to selling the livestock. I'm sure my price will be about 30% of new.

IMG_0783.JPG

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back