OP
OP
Sipec

Sipec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I do plan on having a decent fish biomass so I'll prolly just stick to sand and regular maintenance

dryworm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most spectacular SPS tanks I've seen the past few years all run crushed coral beds 4-6" deep, don't have nitrate problems, dont gravel vac, and their bed is snow white.

Maybe some of you should stop over stocking your tanks and you wouldn't have deitrus problems.
Do you have any photos of these tanks?

batfish5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most spectacular SPS tanks I've seen the past few years all run crushed coral beds 4-6" deep, don't have nitrate problems, dont gravel vac, and their bed is snow white.

Maybe some of you should stop over stocking your tanks and you wouldn't have deitrus problems.
I have a 4 in. bed of sand and coral for years, NO PROBLEM

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thats a bold statement.

Easy E

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Would it be possible to have a sandbed of crushed coral, maybe three to four inches deep? What issues might I encounter? Would I have to vacuum it?
I already tried that and it was an epic fail. Wound up with a bunch of nasty muck in the substrate no matter how many times I vacuumed it. I also had some kind of brown film algae all over everything that I could never get rid of. I may have been wrong, but I attributed the algae problems to the excess muck.

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I dont think we are all on the same page. Pretty sure this is what the thread starter is talking about. You are probably talking about something much more fine, right?

0a38a8582985e2538dfe920ed9d826ef.jpg

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are creating a DSB and you need to be aware of how they work and how to properly maintain them. They are an advanced system and you can be easily be fooled into thinking that they are just sand.
You would not be able to achieve denitrification the purpose of a true DSB using crushed coral

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would not be able to achieve denitrification the purpose of a true DSB using crushed coral
Baloney ! 6 inches of FCC directly on the bottom of any aquarium WILL denitrify ... based on my OWN experiences AND testimony from one of the owners @ caribsea...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back