Deep red encrusting coralline algae!!!!!

Alarue18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one 40 for my 75 gallon tank. Lol and it's on a very very low setting... DEFFiNETLY worth the money... Looking to upgrade soon to a bigger tank.. (Why I got the 40) lol ;)

Dr_Steve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only had success w Mexican turbos. Nothing else would touch it but the turbos mowed it down in a few weeks

sesegaL99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had it for many years with no ill effects. It grew in lower areas of the rock work and came on the 250lbs of live rock I got. Nowhere above the half way line of the height of my 150. It is leafy and def not cyano. Eventually it went away on its own. Was cool and unique for sure ...never saw it anywhere else until now

reefobsessed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had it for many years with no ill effects. It grew in lower areas of the rock work and came on the 250lbs of live rock I got. Nowhere above the half way line of the height of my 150. It is leafy and def not cyano. Eventually it went away on its own. Was cool and unique for sure ...never saw it anywhere else until now
Mine is not leafy and the only way to get it off the rock is to use tweezers, very stubborn roots. It does not seem to be spreading. Does this look like what you had or is it different.
20140423_193835.jpg

OP
OP
Joker79

Joker79

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That definitely looks like turf algae. Roots like trees... Mine however looks like its encristing things, no roots...

jshafer81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I wondered if you had ever found a way to deal with this Joker? Think I have the same problem.

OP
OP
Joker79

Joker79

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries man. I haven't found any way to get rid of it yet however... I'm still determine if it's a nutrient growth dependent or not. Lol.

Mashbox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a page that explains all the different types of coralline algae. That red plating/branching algae is most definitely coralline, and in fact is considered a "keystone species" on the natural reef. There are 2 main types of coralline, articulated and nonarticulated. The branching/plating is a type of articulated coralline, and the common purple encrusting on rocks that we normally see in the hobby are nonarticulated.
Coralline Algae Types

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a page that explains all the different types of coralline algae. That red plating/branching algae is most definitely coralline, and in fact is considered a "keystone species" on the natural reef. There are 2 main types of coralline, articulated and nonarticulated. The branching/plating is a type of articulated coralline, and the common purple encrusting on rocks that we normally see in the hobby are nonarticulated.
Coralline Algae Types
Holy Necro of a 7 year old thread lol

Mashbox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have encrusting coraline. I was told I had good mag numbers for coraline like this and it is a sign tank is doing good?
20210325_124201.jpg
20210325_124205.jpg
Wow! That's growing well. Coralline can be a love hate relationship with our tanks. For FOWLR tanks people like coralline since there's nothing else on the rock. But when you're keeping coral, the coralline is just another source thats sucking up your Calc & Alk since it's a calcifiying algae. This is why people use things like urchins to eat the coralline since it's in direct competition with hard corals as far as elements in the water column.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%
Back