Deep Sea Fish. Imagining The Future of The Saltwater Hobby.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not been diving in the fjords myself but I had a talk with a diver that has been there.
And he definitly said deep sea creatures. Not twilight zone animals.
In the Trondheim fjord deep water corals (normally 300 - 2000 m deep) can be found on 40 m. And this is not the fjord with the darkest surface.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not been diving in the fjords myself but I had a talk with a diver that has been there.
And he definitly said deep sea creatures. Not twilight zone animals.
In the Trondheim fjord deep water corals (normally 300 - 2000 m deep) can be found on 40 m. And this is not the fjord with the darkest surface.
Interesting. So if this is the case, why isn't there a deep-sea exhibit in Europe?

daftwazzock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert on the subject. I'm merely stating what Charles said his beliefs were. I have seen firsthand some deep-water fishes that were drawn through the cold water NELHA line and none of them survived more than a day or two, even when kept in a darkened aquarium and at the temperature of the cold water discharge. A simple Google search will show papers on the effects of pressure on enzyme activites.

I would imagine that an animal sucked up a pipe is going to undergo fatal decompression versus one carefully captured and brought up in a pressure box.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the knowledge about the darkness in the fjords is too new. The first dives was in year 2000 by amateur scuba divers and I havent read jet about scientists been there. I think is just the last few years that there has been good underwater lamps for scuba divers so diving there is new.
But I believe I have read about 1 small public aquarium in Norway having such a tank.
I think it is nothing for public aquariums because of the needed darkness in the tanks.

daftwazzock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shots fired!

I mean I'm not disputing what the poster was saying about their metabolism or anything, but animals subjected to the stress of being sucked up a pipe thousands of feet long cant be used as a healthy baseline for this topic imo

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the knowledge about the darkness in the fjords is too new. The first dives was in year 2000 by amateur scuba divers and I havent read jet about scientists been there. I think is just the last few years that there has been good underwater lamps for scuba divers so diving there is new.
But I believe I have read about 1 small public aquarium in Norway having such a tank.
I think it is nothing for public aquariums because of the needed darkness in the tanks.
Thanks for the response! Maybe all the issues and can be worked out. Please keep us posted if you heard of any news.

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I’ve read, deep sea fish can be acclimated to lower pressure (pressure really shouldn’t be a big factor outside of the air bladder), but it is a slow process and expensive to collect to begin with. The main factor to maintain is temp.

There are some semi-deep water fish that can be kept, but more on the pub aquarium/zoo side, due to costs of collection and keeping.

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I’ve read, deep sea fish can be acclimated to lower pressure (pressure really shouldn’t be a big factor outside of the air bladder), but it is a slow process and expensive to collect to begin with. The main factor to maintain is temp.

There are some semi-deep water fish that can be kept, but more on the pub aquarium/zoo side, due to costs of collection and keeping.
What about another approach? Other than acclimating them and having a high pressurized environment.

Santa Claus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be really interesting to see. What about really cold water tanks?? ;)

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Charles Delbeek and I discussed this quite some back. The deep water pipe line at the Natural Energy Lab in Kona, Hawaii sucked up a number of deep-sea fishes. None of them, even in darkened conditions, survived more than a day or two. It was Charles' opinion that these deep=sea fishes possessed enzymes sensitive to pressure, and without hundreds of psi, they would not function and the fish would die.
All it takes is someone with lots of money hey @Hedgedrew maybe

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that once home aquarist start keeping more things a public aquarium will want to try new things also....

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Interesting. I wonder if work will be done toward innovation for this. With the advances in tech over the last few years, I'm thinking it's doable... just gonna take time and interest. The biggest issue will probably be collecting IMO.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re into deep-water fish and sci-fi, check out Peter Watts’ Rifters trilogy — it starts out at the Juan de Fuca rift.

He released it with a Creative Commons license, so you can snag it for free (legally) here:

Thanks. He also wrote a short story based on John Carpenter's The Thing. He was a big fan of the movie and wrote the story from the perspective of the alien, it's a real good read if you love the movie.

The Things by Peter Watts

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about an arctic reef tank with those really cold water fish? The hobby has grown a lot but we still have so much to do its exciting

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be unusual, eerie, absolutely cool at the same time.

I’d imagine that before we can do fully deep sea tanks, we’d do mesophotic and rariphotic species tanks.

For now, we have to be content with mostly shallow water species, which don’t get me wrong, I still love the ones on my stocking list. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back