Deep tank lighting questions

1fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here is my question. Im going to be ordering a Marineland 150 gallon or the 200 gallon Deep Dimension tank. But with it being 27" deep from top to bottom. My question is will T5HO's work on it? Or do I have to go with MH? I would like to get away from MH as my last few tanks hand them on them. The other big questions is with it being 36" from front to back I dont think I would really get the light that I would like all over. I know you can get a 10 buld T5 set up or would the 8 bulb one cover as well. But if anyone has any real input on this that has tried it on a deep tank please let me know. As for what I plan on keeping in there I was going to go with mostlly SPS and a gig anemone.

MimicOcto8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 24" deep tank with ATI 6bulb sunpower fixture and one of my acros is all the way at the bottom and is thriving! So if you go with T5s be sure to go with ATI since they are top of the line and have really good reflectors, bulbs and actually just all around really good fixture.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hhhhmmm . . . I have a 24" deep tank, with a TEK six bulb T5HO, and I'm growing SPS on the bottom as well. I don't imagine you'll have any problem with another 3 inches. In order to get a similar spread on the 8 bulb system vs. the 10 bulb system you'll have to raise the light higher, so if you are concerned about penetration, I would go with more bulbs. FYI, I've grown closed brains in 12" of water with a simple t5 bulb (non high output). t5s are going to give you a greater diversity of color spectrum than you are going to get out of the MH, but you will miss the shimmer of the MHs.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back