Definitely needing a second pair of eyes?

Ljshelby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have one the war on ick but this sun of a gun will not die? Constantly popping up on the fish in qt. Fluke! Well im told NO LOL, if you can zoom in please feel free to take a guess?
20220604_151706.jpg

OP
OP
Ljshelby

Ljshelby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This definitely looks like an ich infection, which tangs are often most prone to. The best way to go about this is just to continue medication in the QT before it goes away.
This is exactly what i was thinking, still ich but the fish now have protruding strings coming off the spots and in almost a thorn look. Definitely not any ich i have encountered or researched in the past

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
These are mucus spores likely from previous outbreak. Looks like result of cryptocaryn irritants which in some cases can survive for months within the gills of the fish without knowing it. Typical behaviors of crypto are :
Heavy breathing
Flashing
Itching/ scratching on sand or rocks
Lethargic behavior
Loss of appetite
Head twitching

Best treatment is Copper power or coppersafe as well as TTM ( Tank Transfer Method ), or Chloroquine Phosphate for a full 30 days in a separate quarantine setting

OP
OP
Ljshelby

Ljshelby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are now 38 days in qt with copper, unless they are starting to brake out again after being dormant. Not sure if this is possible. One thing to note is the hippo has had this for almost two weeks with no change and suffering, freshwater baths has not ill effects

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which copper product did you use? What concentration? What test kit?

Do the spots come and go or do they remain in exactly the same space?

OP
OP
Ljshelby

Ljshelby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are mucus spores likely from previous outbreak. Looks like result of cryptocaryn irritants which in some cases can survive for months within the gills of the fish without knowing it. Typical behaviors of crypto are :
Heavy breathing
Flashing
Itching/ scratching on sand or rocks
Lethargic behavior
Loss of appetite
Head twitching

Best treatment is Copper power or coppersafe as well as TTM ( Tank Transfer Method ), or Chloroquine Phosphate for a full 30 days in a separate quarantine setting

I have been using

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
They are now 38 days in qt with copper, unless they are starting to brake out again after being dormant. Not sure if this is possible. One thing to note is the hippo has had this for almost two weeks with no change and suffering, freshwater baths has not ill effects
What therapuetic level of copper are you using and how are you testing the level?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cuprion from brightwell, at .022 and testing with hanna. The spots seem to be fading away at one point but came back in the exact spots but more fuzzy looking if that makes sense.
I'm guessing yo don't have access to either Copper Power or Copper Safe. Both of these are easier and safer to use than Cuprion.

If the spots are coming back in exactly the same place, and if no new ones are appearing, it does sound like mucus as @vetteguy53081 suggested.

Are any other fish in the QT with the sailfin? If so, what do they look like?

OP
OP
Ljshelby

Ljshelby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing yo don't have access to either Copper Power or Copper Safe. Both of these are easier and safer to use than Cuprion.

If the spots are coming back in exactly the same place, and if no new ones are appearing, it does sound like mucus as @vetteguy53081 suggested.

Are any other fish in the QT with the sailfin? If so, what do they look like?
Medicine is extremely hard to import as you know, but im glad you asked about the other fish in qt... Sailfin yellow tang and hippo are covered in it. My foxface coral beauty firefish and pajama have absolutely no visual signs of infection.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Medicine is extremely hard to import as you know, but im glad you asked about the other fish in qt... Sailfin yellow tang and hippo are covered in it. My foxface coral beauty firefish and pajama have absolutely no visual signs of infection.
Cuprion is tough to use. Needs to be dosed at a constant 0.20 ppm for 21 days. However, it is pretty effective. You may well be seeing mucus spots that develop on tangs as a result of stress. As mentioned, map their location and if they don’t move around every three days or so, likely not ich.
Jay

OP
OP
Ljshelby

Ljshelby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cuprion is tough to use. Needs to be dosed at a constant 0.20 ppm for 21 days. However, it is pretty effective. You may well be seeing mucus spots that develop on tangs as a result of stress. As mentioned, map their location and if they don’t move around every three days or so, likely not ich.
Jay
Perfect! I will do that my friend. This i gotta say is the most stressful part of this hobby, watching them suffer :(

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back