Deflated Acan

Rockedash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a water change on monday and I used water I mixed from a few weeks ago and it turned out that it had a very low kh. I immediatly noticed and ive been doing 10% water changes to boost it daily since then and most things have gone back to normal and have been looking good other than the acan in the photo.I havent dipped it or done anything with it other then fed it reef roids to try and help it puff back up. I dont want to mess with it as its my favorite piece I have and I dont want to kill it. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on if I should dip it,movie it,feed it pellets or mysis, or just let it be. (photo on left is from a few weeks ago and the acan in question is the one in the bottom left of that photo)

IMG_5022.jpg IMG_5129.jpg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t look that bad, I’d leave it be. Rapid changes in kh or any other parameter can always yield some temporary unhappiness. As long as you aren’t blasting it with flow or light, it should recover nicely.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t look that bad, I’d leave it be. Rapid changes in kh or any other parameter can always yield some temporary unhappiness. As long as you aren’t blasting it with flow or light, it should recover nicely.
Agreed, based on experience. Always best to make changes gradually.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find my acans are super super picky and hate any change. I moved one like 2 inches and it didn’t open fully for weeks and I couldn’t figure it out, checked older pics and realized it wasn’t exactly where it used to be…moved it 2 inches to the left and the next day it was puffy and fully open

My advice is keep things as stable as possible and if anything is off…adjust slowly

OP
OP
R

Rockedash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense it was pretty stupid of me to put that water in i didnt know the kh would drop that hard it was down to 5 in the water i put in and my tank is usually at 9-10. This is how its looking today definetly better and the lights just turned on so im hopeful. Thanks for the response!

Attachments

• IMG_5132.jpg
    IMG_5132.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 34

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got something similar happening.
My Acan looks relatively fine - I guess - but they are not puffy as they were before.

Im still trying to find a good place, and flow is mid-low where it sits now. Maybe i will put in the sand bed as you.

I was unaware for weeks that some small algae was growing in the frags and blowed them away days ago. Maybe this was bugging them too.

My system is nutrient rich, but not sure if this may be the reason as this frag was good for weeks.

20230712_151105.jpg

20231210_182035.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 142 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back