Demsel started breathing heavy again

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hv seen under microscope now(had hard time to magnify). I also seen something black coloured thing. Sorry for bad pics.
IMG_20230314_221039.jpg
IMG_20230314_220843.jpg

The picture on the left is a capsalid fluke, probably Neobenedenia. The picture on the right could be also, but it isn't clear enough.

Jay

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture on the left is a capsalid fluke, probably Neobenedenia. The picture on the right could be also, but it isn't clear enough.

Jay
So does hyposalinity works? I also seen little black worms in microscope. I hv lowered my salinity to 1.013

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So does hyposalinity works? I also seen little black worms in microscope. I hv lowered my salinity to 1.013

Yes, lowering the specific gravity to 1.012 for 35 days will work.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hv also seen little black worms, don't know what was that as I failed to capture that.

Without a clear picture, I cannot guess as to what those are - even with a picture, I may not be able to tell. The hooks in your one picture make it clear that it is a fluke.

Jay

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's 2nd day of 1.010 salinity and now my demsel has started eating well. I am also feeding boiled peas. Now it is not spitting food from it's mouth back. But, Today I seen my demsel again flashing so keeping an close eye on demsel. I also seen white-seed shaped things falling from lionfish after fw dip so I think it was the one who bought flukes but surprisingly, it didn't shown any symptoms from 1-2 months

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's 2nd day of 1.010 salinity and now my demsel has started eating well. I am also feeding boiled peas. Now it is not spitting food from it's mouth back. But, Today I seen my demsel again flashing so keeping an close eye on demsel. I also seen white-seed shaped things falling from lionfish after fw dip so I think it was the one who bought flukes but surprisingly, it didn't shown any symptoms from 1-2 months

Don't feed it boiled peas, that is an old fancy goldfish remedy from the 1950's that got misapplied to marine fish. Your damsel is not constipated, it has edema (fluid in the tissues).

Jay

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't feed it boiled peas, that is an old fancy goldfish remedy from the 1950's that got misapplied to marine fish. Your damsel is not constipated, it has edema (fluid in the tissues).

Jay
Actually now it is coming back to eating. It is now eating pellets also. Before it was not eating pellets. Just a question that does lionfish adapt well in hypo? I done fw dip of lion and it's skin is little peeling after that and I saw again white seed like thing(flukes). Does flukes causes peeling in fw dip?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Actually now it is coming back to eating. It is now eating pellets also. Before it was not eating pellets. Just a question that does lionfish adapt well in hypo? I done fw dip of lion and it's skin is little peeling after that and I saw again white seed like thing(flukes). Does flukes causes peeling in fw dip?
Ive seen hypo used for lions but understand hypo does not treat all fish, and proper Ph must be maintained during the 30-35 day process. Additionally, lionfish and wrasses at times do not respond well to hypo making it a risk.

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen hypo used for lions but understand hypo does not treat all fish, and proper Ph must be maintained during the 30-35 day process. Additionally, lionfish and wrasses at times do not respond well to hypo making it a risk.
Ohk. I hv done prazi in the beginning but I think it didn't treat my lionfish. Lionfish is not showing any symptoms but today it developed white coloured seed grains on it and then I found flukes. It was looking very lazy but now it is moving so maybe coz of flukes it was little lazy

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lionfish tolerate hyposalinity if done correctly - a specific gravity of 1.012 will treat flukes. Held there for 35 days and then returned to normal specific gravity over 4 or 5 days.

Jay

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 week completed at 1.010 salinity. Both fishes are looking more active than before. Just demsel developed marks which I think are because of iching from rocks.

20230323_215338.jpg

Also why is it doing this? It used to do this before on fish's face.

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx everyone! My demsel continue to surprise me. It is looking good. I think hyposalinity did a trick for me. So should i raise salinity back?(I'll take 5-7 days for that)No more itching from rocks and it is eating well.:). I'm too grateful to u guys :)

Standing next to lionfish (it is breathing better than before)
https://youtube.com/shorts/JnAuRvQ1iZI?feature=share

At Feeding time(it is eating well now) https://youtube.com/shorts/yfbRGaYXY2M?feature=share

No - like I had mentioned, hold the fish at hyposalinity for 35 days, then return it slowly to regular salinity over 4 to 5 days.

The reason for this is to kill off any resting stages of parasites that the hyposalinity doesn't kill - fluke eggs and ich tomonts are resistant to hyposalinity and can still hatch out. the 35 days means that if they hatch out, the young parasites will emerge into the hypo and die. After 35 days, there won't be any resting stages left in the tank.

Jay

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - like I had mentioned, hold the fish at hyposalinity for 35 days, then return it slowly to regular salinity over 4 to 5 days.

The reason for this is to kill off any resting stages of parasites that the hyposalinity doesn't kill - fluke eggs and ich tomonts are resistant to hyposalinity and can still hatch out. the 35 days means that if they hatch out, the young parasites will emerge into the hypo and die. After 35 days, there won't be any resting stages left in the tank.

Jay
Okk thx :). Now I am sure my lionfish may hv bought them(surprisingly it shown symptoms after demsel and there were no symptoms in qt and I had done prazi )

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nearly 2 months completed and now demsel is nearly back to normal. It's tail has grown back, it has became little more active and it is breathing little slow now. I think Hyposalinity does a trick for me

Thank u so much for help:)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nearly 2 months completed and now demsel is nearly back to normal. It's tail has grown back, it has became little more active and it is breathing little slow now. I think Hyposalinity does a trick for me

Thank u so much for help:)

Just off the cuff - it seems to be doing better than in previous videos?

Jay

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just off the cuff - it seems to be doing better than in previous videos?

Jay
Just breathing coming down. I hv compared them with previous ones. The problem is it is breathing with it's mouth open wide. Breath per sec. has came down :) .

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad update- it passed away few minutes ago. It was not eating yesterday and suddenly died

Thx everyone for help

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%

Back