dendronephthya (carnation coral) AM I WINING OR LOSING

Andrey Grodno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last one is a carnations coral dendronephtya
When these spindles begin to appear, it will mean the beginning of coral degradation. I have the exact same coral.
IMG_20220319_102827.jpg

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When these spindles begin to appear, it will mean the beginning of coral degradation. I have the exact same coral.
IMG_20220319_102827.jpg
Thank you they are really hard to keep alive, am just trying to evaluate a new feeding technique and tough that would be faster to make the observation I need with a specimen in poor conditions, this is the worst I could find in my local lfs.
am coming from the tough that if this coral can regrow, then the food technique is possibly in the right path and I should persist with it if he dies than is back to the drawing board to find new ways.
so far most of the observation have been good I will start to get some enthusiasm if polyps are regrown.

that’s how he is looking today vs the first day

EC7A6F37-EDCD-4419-889C-216C0F61592E.jpeg
30E1C43E-000A-46A3-BB3A-203A0FC75ED9.jpeg

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updating the pictures from yesterday my observation is that:

The coral is gaining mass
The coral has new polyps formed
There is substantial tissue recovery in the green circle shown in the picture

3EC143E0-0163-447D-ACCB-DA50DFE93CF6.jpeg
7533900D-F097-46F1-9264-62EFD4021C6D.jpeg

for the time being all the signs of recovery are present

another interesting observation is that the green Cyanobacteria that came with the coral is starting to die on its own.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last trials seemed to have failed, the fail become more evident after a large Cyanobacteria outbreak that leads me to believe that the coral may have lost what they needed to thrive as the Cyanobacteria started to thrive and new clues could of emerged from that experience.
I am now just using a blend of organic carbon, vitamins and nitrogen, this looks to aid the corals to stay open for longer periods of time although is to early to make a conclusion if this is actually helping the corals in gaining mass.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any progress
Hi, I think that I may have identified some of the key nutrients needed for this corals, just working on logistics to deliver them without nuking the tank. It’s a slow process of elimination although nothing substantial at present time.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread has been a fascinating read. I love the carnations but have never ventured to keep one because of their reputation for slow starvation. Thank you for sharing openly and with honesty how your observations and experiments progressed.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread has been a fascinating read. I love the carnations but have never ventured to keep one because of their reputation for slow starvation. Thank you for sharing openly and with honesty how your observations and experiments progressed.
Failing at something is not so bad if we learn something every time it happens, it’s part of the process. I’m a strong believer that it’s good to share observations and personal experience with fellow reefer maybe someone out there can see or help with a particular issue.

From what I’ve gathered so far they seem to react well with organic nutrients, to me it makes sense as they are heterotrophic corals and heterotrophic organisms normally prefer organic over inorganic nutrients as a source of energy.
I’ve been stuck for a wile with adding organic nutrients to the water column in a form that can be added safely without raising the overall nutrients of the system to a crazy residual, due to further breakdown to inorganic by decomposition and demineralisation. I’ve done well wile I had a bottle of ATI N concentrated version every day they were fairly well puffed, once I run out they started closing again and I can’t find a supply for the same ati N in the uk (yellow liquid bottle) of recent I’ve tough of an old thread that a fellow reefer used to dose soya milk into their acropora tank, after evaluating the ingredients I decided that it’s worth a try, gave the first dose last night and for my surprise they were all puffed up again this morning, will carry on trying with this form of organic nutrients for a wile and observe if they work the same as the previous experience.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Failing at something is not so bad if we learn something every time it happens, it’s part of the process. I’m a strong believer that it’s good to share observations and personal experience with fellow reefer maybe someone out there can see or help with a particular issue.

From what I’ve gathered so far they seem to react well with organic nutrients, to me it makes sense as they are heterotrophic corals and heterotrophic organisms normally prefer organic over inorganic nutrients as a source of energy.
I’ve been stuck for a wile with adding organic nutrients to the water column in a form that can be added safely without raising the overall nutrients of the system to a crazy residual, due to further breakdown to inorganic by decomposition and demineralisation. I’ve done well wile I had a bottle of ATI N concentrated version every day they were fairly well puffed, once I run out they started closing again and I can’t find a supply for the same ati N in the uk (yellow liquid bottle) of recent I’ve tough of an old thread that a fellow reefer used to dose soya milk into their acropora tank, after evaluating the ingredients I decided that it’s worth a try, gave the first dose last night and for my surprise they were all puffed up again this morning, will carry on trying with this form of organic nutrients for a wile and observe if they work the same as the previous experience.
I totally agree with you about failing not being a bad thing if it leads to gaining more information. I just did not know enough about dendros to even have a clue where to start. That is why I am enjoying this thread. Perhaps as you try different foods you will come across the magic sauce that will contain what they need to survive and thrive.

papipapi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I think that I may have identified some of the key nutrients needed for this corals, just working on logistics to deliver them without nuking the tank. It’s a slow process of elimination although nothing substantial at present time.
Thanks for taking the time to answer us.
I am also trying.

Attachments

• IMG_20220616_220809.jpg
    IMG_20220616_220809.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20220916_173023.jpg
    IMG_20220916_173023.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20221219_121758.jpg
    IMG_20221219_121758.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 33

papipapi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can you give the dose for soya milk and the way you do it.
Thanks

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you give the dose for soya milk and the way you do it.
Thanks
I could give you although I only started now and I haven’t evaluated the outcome of dosing it yet, I wouldn’t advise anyone to do it at this stage. From the thread on RC the chap advised 1ml per 25gallons for acropora tank and that’s where I am now. What I’m also doing is adding a little of organic carbon every time I dose the milk in hope that bacteria quickly uses any excess organics from the water instead of starting to build up in the tank and allow for extra food be available that way also.
If you looking at a safer option a combination of ATI nutrition N (yellow bottle), 1 ml during the day and 1ml during the night with the addition of 4 ml of amino acids done good for me in the past on a 25 gallons, I just stopped that as I can’t get it again I’m the uk.

Last edited:

papipapi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could give you although I only started now and I haven’t evaluated the outcome of dosing it yet, I wouldn’t advise anyone to do it at this stage. From the thread on RC the chap advised 1ml per 25gallons for acropora tank and that’s where I am now. What I’m also doing is adding a little of organic carbon every time I dose the milk in hope that bacteria quickly uses any excess organics from the water instead of starting to build up in the tank and allow for extra food be available that way also.
If you looking at a safer option a combination of ATI nutrition N (yellow bottle), 1 ml during the day and 1ml during the night with the addition of 4 ml of amino acids done good for me in the past on a 25 gallons, I just stopped that as I can’t get it again I’m the uk.
This is

Attachments

• IMG_20221221_162656.jpg
    IMG_20221221_162656.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 29

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back