Dendronephthya & Scleronephthya aquaculture

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... The species Thalassiosira weissflogii and T. pseudonana are available from Reed Mariculture. They're the perfect size for many species and I've seen a lot of success after adding them.

Just did a little more reading on corals consuming algal nanoplankton and was facinated to find that even Tubastraea coccinea is able to feed on T. weissflogii and T. pseudonana. Never would have guessed that given the large polyp size. I'll go ahead and get some from Reed and start adding it to the food blend I'm mixing for my NPS tank. Thanks for the heads up.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a little more reading on corals consuming algal nanoplankton and was facinated to find that even Tubastraea coccinea is able to feed on T. weissflogii and T. pseudonana. Never would have guessed that given the large polyp size. I'll go ahead and get some from Reed and start adding it to the food blend I'm mixing for my NPS tank. Thanks for the heads up.
The Steinhart Aquarium at The CA Academy of Sciences as hugh wall of Sun corals, check it out

Than k s for all the info. Big help

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I recieved the first 18 red carnation corals, dendronephthya. I was setting up the Hiatt filtration system, to control NH3, NO3,PO4? you get the point. Stressing the corals.

This time I setup same filtration, way before second order of corals came in. I was feeding(ghost feeding ) 45 mL
of food every 20 minutes , 24/7. NH3, was high, but the filtration system was handling it. At ORP
of 300, 350 ORP with 90% WC using distill water and same feeding amount.

I mention ORP, cause I have the sensor. Might as well use it.

Last edited:

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I recieved the first 18 red carnation corals, dendronephthya. I was setting up the Hiatt filtration system, to control NH3, NO3,PO4? you get the point. Stressing the corals.

This time I setup same filtration, way before second order of corals came in. I was feeding(ghost feeding ) 45 mL
of food every 29 minutes , 24/7. NH3, was high, but the filtration system was handling it. At ORP
of 300, 350 ORP with 90% WC using distill water and same feeding amount.

I mention ORP, cause I have the sensor. Might as well use it.
when you use the term "Hiatt filtration system" I'm wondering if you are just refering to bacteria driven filtration or the tri-based pelletized carbon in a "torpedo" cannister filter specifically?

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when you use the term "Hiatt filtration system" I'm wondering if you are just refering to bacteria driven filtration or the tri-based pelletized carbon in a "torpedo" cannister filter specifically?

You can buy their torpedo and use as canister filter.

I use:
1. Right Now SW bacteria
2. Tri carbon in my diy canister filter
3. PH rock in diy canister filter
4. Unstuck

This product can be added to existing systems too.
Works for me:)

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy their torpedo and use as canister filter.

I use:
1. Right Now SW bacteria
2. Tri carbon in my diy canister filter
3. PH rock in diy canister filter
4. Unstuck

This product can be added to existing systems too.
Works for me:)
Wow. Why did you choose this method of filtration?

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Why did you choose this method of filtration?
At the time , when I just recieved the first 18 dendronephthya corals, was fighting NH3.
Trying to get off of Prime, from Seachem. Met a scientist, that recommended it. Within 24-48hrs.
After doing/using exactly the Hiatt products needed, to control NH3,nitrates, phosphates, etc...
I got results. To late for corals. Bummer.
Also if a refugium could control my perimeters the size of about 5 gallon bucket, I would have gone natrual.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the time , when I just recieved the first 18 dendronephthya corals, was fighting NH3.
Trying to get off of Prime, from Seachem. Met a scientist, that recommended it. Within 24-48hrs.
After doing/using exactly the Hiatt products needed, to control NH3,nitrates, phosphates, etc...
I got results. To late for corals. Bummer.
Also if a refugium could control my perimeters the size of about 5 gallon bucket, I would have gone natrual.
so what numbers are you targeting for no3 po4 ?

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so what numbers are you targeting for no3 po4 ?
Nitrate fall to 2-5ppm, po4 haven't checked. On the net, don't remember site, but had water perimeters where dendronephthya corals thrive, and nitrates were 20+ ppm nitrate in most areas they thrive in.
Using Hiatt filtration, controls no3, po4, other things too.... my main concern was nh3.

Last edited:

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate fall to 2-5ppm, po4 haven't checked. On the net, don't remember site, but had water perimeters where dendronephthya corals thrive, and nitrates were 20+ ppm nitrate. Most areas
Using Hiatt filtration, controls no3, po4, other things too.... my main concern was nh3.
Cool. but I don't quite get the use of the Hiatt system, other than for short term, because NH3 isn't usually a problem at all for normal established filtration methods?

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. but I don't quite get the use of the Hiatt system, other than for short term, because NH3 isn't usually a problem at all for normal established filtration methods?
Correct, with NPS corals and especially these types of corals . Feeding them in an SPS or LPS reef system would overload filtration system , possibly crash. With this Hiatt carbon system, they dont say to do this , I do it, backwash when needed. Not often.

Filtration has been one of the challenges for NPS corals in general.
Because of the amounts of food being fed.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most children 95% doing well
One thing about food they eat.
They rarely close up.
Heres few pic.

One has red dot, its big, its massive, stalk is thick,unfortunatly
Most polyps damaged, why. Dont know, that how i got. Bummer:(

20181115_065537.jpg

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should be going through periods of inflation and deflation throughout the day as they feed. It will take a while to know if they are truly doing well, but you're right none of them look too damaged.

One thing about food they eat
Maybe I missed this, but what thing about food they eat?

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should be going through periods of inflation and deflation throughout the day as they feed. It will take a while to know if they are truly doing well, but you're right none of them look too damaged.

Maybe I missed this, but what thing about food they eat?
I been around them most days/night and most don't deflate. If they do very little. All the purple ones, haven't deflated, and I've been around them all day through night some days.

There is one "the moster" I call him, he did deflate 30-50%, off & on. He's nother doing well.

As for food. I've added a natrual secret ingredient, and it triggered a feed response, I've been trying to achieve. Food in testing mode for year 1 1/2-2 yrs. See what happens

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't checked out all the posts, but why don't you start with scleronephthya sp. I heard that they are a tiny bit easier- but the principles would scale one to one.
The source I recieve my corals from, there are none with dendronephthya. I would like them also, but I used to get them from Indo.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree that a natural system is best. For every NPS system I've built or worked in I've always kept biofiltration natural, with large amounts of live rock and ceramic media. Personally I feel this system being built is fairly overengineered. A good NPS system needs only the display/ culture vessel, with the required flow for what's inside, a large sump with a massive skimmer and huge amounts of biomedia that's been cycled to handle 3-4ppm of ammonia in 24hrs, and a very slow turnover rate from display to sump so food stays in suspension longer and water has the most contact time in filtration The most complex thing is always the feeding system, but that's about it for complexity.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been around them most days/night and most don't deflate. If they do very little. All the purple ones, haven't deflated, and I've been around them all day through night some days.

There is one "the moster" I call him, he did deflate 30-50%, off & on. He's nother doing well.

As for food. I've added a natrual secret ingredient, and it triggered a feed response, I've been trying to achieve. Food in testing mode for year 1 1/2-2 yrs. See what happens

Yet they are supposed to. It isn't a sign of pure health that they aren't going through periods of deflation, but the opposite. What new ingredient did you add to your food mixture? In my opinion, and how it appears, they simply aren't getting enough of what they need and are working hard trying to get food.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 37.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back