Dendronephthya & Scleronephthya aquaculture

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Sun looks in great shape to me, should open up eventually I've seen worse and what you have ain't worse to me, should live long and prosper

The sun had tight twisted mouths when I got it, full lock down and a lot of skeleton showing, it can take as long as it wants to recover! :)

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just signed up for the $4.99 membership at ParagonReef.com site. Wholesale prices, to cool.
I signed up today!! Have you placed an order yet? I’m very intrigued with the concept.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I signed up today!! Have you placed an order yet? I’m very intrigued with the concept.
I buy wholesale 95% of the time and I can tell you that 95% of what's on that website is wholesale prices at first before checking website I was a little skeptical and when I check their merchandise, I was very surprised mostly everything is wholesale very nice.

Of course they will ship to your nearest airport for a fee from the airport they do not charge any additional fees than what the product cost. That's the protocol I'll be using so what I'll do is order 12 or 18 Carnation corals at $25 each example of price very close and they will ship domestic Freight and I'll pay like $131 or hundred fifty dollars for that shipping you pay that to the airline.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About placing an order they only had one Carnation Coral so I'm waiting for like 20 or more carnation corals. They do get that any or many more recently so just have to wait.

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy wholesale 95% of the time and I can tell you that 95% of what's on that website is wholesale prices at first before checking website I was a little skeptical and when I check their merchandise, I was very surprised mostly everything is wholesale very nice.

Of course they will ship to your nearest airport for a fee from the airport they do not charge any additional fees than what the product cost. That's the protocol I'll be using so what I'll do is order 12 or 18 Carnation corals at $25 each example of price very close and they will ship domestic Freight and I'll pay like $131 or hundred fifty dollars for that shipping you pay that to the airline.
That’s good to hear. I’ve always wondered about wholesale, but never had an idea of how to go about it to try it. I think this a good way for more folks to be able to utilize and get into the wholesale environment.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip. Will keep that in mind!
Also if you can do minimum $350 or more and have it cargo shipped, shipping $130-150. Waiting for you at air port and you'll know exactly what you pay. And you pay when you pick up

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful

Screenshot_2020-01-31-22-15-57-1.png

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your experience, have you found it easier to keep scleronephthea or dendronephthea? I have a small (about 3” frag) of dendronephthea that I received about a week ago from LA. Seems to be doing well but it’s too early to tell. Maybe in a couple of months, I’ll know if my regimen is faring well. I also have some scleronephthea and I get a really good feeding response from them. Have had them for about a month maybe a bit more. But it maybe too early to tell with them also. I dose live phyto and L-type rotis to the tank. It’s basically a large Gatorade bottle that gets feed sump water with an aqua lifter and it overflows back into the sump. So it’s kind of like a continuous source. I culture the phyto separately. I add the phyto to the container in the morning and at night. Since it’s a slow continuous drip, both the rotis and phyto is dosed in this manner.

I also spot feed a mixture of foods twice a day to the NPS. I alternate between and sometimes mix up:
Oyster Feast
Reef Roids
Reef Blizzard-S
Reef Snow
Microbacter 7

I was wondering if I should add Reed Mariculture’s shellfish diet. It contains T. pseudonana and T. weisflogii, and also phyto. And maybe source some Paraccocus bacteria from Brine Shrimp Direct. Do you have any experience using these products? I recall a bit back in your thread, you utilized the bacteria but I’m not sure if you still do.

Amazingly, even with the heavy particulate feedings, my nutrients hover around 10-16ppm NO3 and 0.04-0.08ppm PO4. I do not use a skimmer but have a lush ATS and Chaeto Reactor. Along with a large cryptic zone in my sump. I wasn’t doing water changes on my system for a while and nutrients are still maintains a good range. I use the Triton system but I am feeling like with all that going into the system, I should start doing water changes also so I’ll be setting up an AWC in the coming days. Everything looks happy in the tank. It’s mainly softies, NPS, gorgs, sponges, macro algae and a few LPS. Currently, there are 6 seahorses in there that get feed (feeding station) PE Mysis (3 cubes a day- broken down into 2 feedings) for 6 days and then on day 7 is they’re fasting day. It’s a 110g with a 20g sump. I’ll also be transferring 5 chromis, a goby and a fire fish into the tank in the coming weeks, hence my thoughts about employing an AWC (10% weekly). But I was wondering about the diatoms and the bacteria and whether it should be part of the rotation.

Oh and I apologize for the long post!

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set up.

I think Scleronephthya alittle easier, mine 5 or more months old alittle thin, I think wasn't feed enough. Now I shine light just right and you can see a little hazy and particles, so hopefully on the right track again. I use phyto-feast, Paraccocus, raw egg, Reef Roids. That's it ,I've tried everything under the sun and I'm pretty sure it all works I just simplified it and I see growth and most Coral surviving or living so something's working. But, if you can in the future when you add new NPS, try to figure out how to rotate them like 90 degrees or a hundred and 80 degrees , at least experiment with one, every time you go and look at them which should be often , since I accidentally rotated the Carnation corals they seem to show no atrophy, but when I found a good water flow to them I got lazy and stop rotating them and so I have to do it again and see what the outcome will be.

Screenshot_2020-01-29-19-56-54.png

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay this information I read from the new Coral magazine about Carnation corals and Scleronephthya.
Dr. Dieter Brockmann mention that if you do not have a dedicated tank for these corals you are looking for disaster, because all the display tanks out there the way there design their filtration, flow, feeding are not compatible for these corals. That's why I mention about rotating them add magnet on the back of the rock and a magnet outside of aquarium use a rod, or tool call a pik, and they will rotate on the magnet. Of course if you are concerned about contamination from magnet, buy the epoxy coated or plastic ones if you buy plastic make sure you get the rare earth they are strong and they need to penetrate through the plastic. I know for a fact that if you I do as I mention about the magnet, they will live a long long time in any aquarium that also has a good flow doesn't have to be perfect or exact and If they're even spot fed that would be fine but they will live a long long time off.

I will have a video soon on how I rotate them and tools I used to rotate rotate

Screenshot_2020-01-18-21-38-55-1.png

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours is a pretty neat setup on how you rotate them. that is a great idea on mounting it to a magnet and just rotating that a few times throughout the day. I can employ that relatively easily. Just have to buy the magnets. I have it mounted upside down but I can easily take that rock that it is mounted on and glue a magnet to it.
B9DEBE2D-CFA8-4654-A9BF-F1BBD9CCF549.jpeg

This is how the scleronephthea have been faring. I first pic is the oldest and the last one is the most recent.

CA83CB3C-06C3-40EB-B0BE-A6A42A1B8BF8.jpeg
26A78DF4-0481-47F3-9800-C2933CFF69AE.jpeg
DA7A6862-BF51-4791-9F17-C8B7A944C5E6.jpeg

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours is a pretty neat setup on how you rotate them. that is a great idea on mounting it to a magnet and just rotating that a few times throughout the day. I can employ that relatively easily. Just have to buy the magnets. I have it mounted upside down but I can easily take that rock that it is mounted on and glue a magnet to it.

This is how the scleronephthea have been faring. I first pic is the oldest and the last one is the most recent.

from here it looks orange to me, I'm leaning toward Vietnam. They are beautiful.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Luv the carnation

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back