Dendrophyllia arbuscula not opening up

Free Phyto Promo
Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed
Shop Now Code: FREEPHYTO

Avadakedavra

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 27, 2023
Messages
16
Reaction score
9
Location
Vietnam
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve attempted to keep this species on different occasions and they all refused to show polyp extension no matter what I did. The best I could get was to have their polyps bubbling just under the corallite but never fully out. I’ve tried feeding them at different times of day, low flow, high flow, etc. Some did consume the food and some refused everything offered and they all slowly wasted away. Those that ate had non-sticking tentacles and I had to turn off all the pumps and laid the food direct over their mouths for them to eat. I’ve had great success with T. megacorallita and T. faulkneri but never with D. arbuscula. What should I do?
 
Sorry to hear about that! Could the issue start with where you are sourcing them from (wild or aquacultured could even come into play)? Maybe wild caught specimen don't travel/acclimate well? I'm sure with your past success with T. megacorallita and T. faulkneri, that you know how to take care of them. The thing I've wondered since getting into NPS, is if their flesh still absorbs nutrients/foods, even if they are closed. That would be a great research topic!

@Dr. Dendrostein may be able to help. I've learned a ton from his responses and discussions from the short time I've been keeping NPS coral, and just keeping coral in general.

Happy Thanksgiving!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new