Dendrophyllia arbuscula not opening up

Avadakedavra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve attempted to keep this species on different occasions and they all refused to show polyp extension no matter what I did. The best I could get was to have their polyps bubbling just under the corallite but never fully out. I’ve tried feeding them at different times of day, low flow, high flow, etc. Some did consume the food and some refused everything offered and they all slowly wasted away. Those that ate had non-sticking tentacles and I had to turn off all the pumps and laid the food direct over their mouths for them to eat. I’ve had great success with T. megacorallita and T. faulkneri but never with D. arbuscula. What should I do?

Sebastian Sronce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about that! Could the issue start with where you are sourcing them from (wild or aquacultured could even come into play)? Maybe wild caught specimen don't travel/acclimate well? I'm sure with your past success with T. megacorallita and T. faulkneri, that you know how to take care of them. The thing I've wondered since getting into NPS, is if their flesh still absorbs nutrients/foods, even if they are closed. That would be a great research topic!

@Dr. Dendrostein may be able to help. I've learned a ton from his responses and discussions from the short time I've been keeping NPS coral, and just keeping coral in general.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back