Derasa on bare bottom long term?

Reef AquaCult

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 23, 2019
Messages
625
Reaction score
667
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a derasa clam that’s being doing great for about 6 months. I placed it on a low lying rock initially but about a month ago it was blown or moved itself onto the bottom of the tank. I have ABS textured plastic on the bottom which it’s attached to. It’s a pretty high flow system and the clam rocks back and forth in the current a bit. i was considering moving it onto a clam hammock or similar device but it’s attached to the bottom and I didn’t want to injure it by removing it. Should I just leave it there or try to move it? It looks healthy in the current location. Thanks
 
I have a derasa clam that’s being doing great for about 6 months. I placed it on a low lying rock initially but about a month ago it was blown or moved itself onto the bottom of the tank. I have ABS textured plastic on the bottom which it’s attached to. It’s a pretty high flow system and the clam rocks back and forth in the current a bit. i was considering moving it onto a clam hammock or similar device but it’s attached to the bottom and I didn’t want to injure it by removing it. Should I just leave it there or try to move it? It looks healthy in the current location. Thanks
If it has moved and attached then its probably happy in that spot. I wouldn't bother moving it
 
I've had Derasa on bare bottom tanks and cutting board for many years without a problem. Before breaking down the tank, the Derasa grew from 3" to 8"
As the clam grew, it no longer attached using a byssal thread but had enough girth to stay solidly upright.
 
Thank you for your responses! Going to leave it be.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 18 20.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 8.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new