Derasa on bare bottom long term?

Reef AquaCult

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 23, 2019
Messages
625
Reaction score
667
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a derasa clam that’s being doing great for about 6 months. I placed it on a low lying rock initially but about a month ago it was blown or moved itself onto the bottom of the tank. I have ABS textured plastic on the bottom which it’s attached to. It’s a pretty high flow system and the clam rocks back and forth in the current a bit. i was considering moving it onto a clam hammock or similar device but it’s attached to the bottom and I didn’t want to injure it by removing it. Should I just leave it there or try to move it? It looks healthy in the current location. Thanks
 
I have a derasa clam that’s being doing great for about 6 months. I placed it on a low lying rock initially but about a month ago it was blown or moved itself onto the bottom of the tank. I have ABS textured plastic on the bottom which it’s attached to. It’s a pretty high flow system and the clam rocks back and forth in the current a bit. i was considering moving it onto a clam hammock or similar device but it’s attached to the bottom and I didn’t want to injure it by removing it. Should I just leave it there or try to move it? It looks healthy in the current location. Thanks
If it has moved and attached then its probably happy in that spot. I wouldn't bother moving it
 
I've had Derasa on bare bottom tanks and cutting board for many years without a problem. Before breaking down the tank, the Derasa grew from 3" to 8"
As the clam grew, it no longer attached using a byssal thread but had enough girth to stay solidly upright.
 
Thank you for your responses! Going to leave it be.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 21 29.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 12.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new