Derasa on bare bottom long term?

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a derasa clam that’s being doing great for about 6 months. I placed it on a low lying rock initially but about a month ago it was blown or moved itself onto the bottom of the tank. I have ABS textured plastic on the bottom which it’s attached to. It’s a pretty high flow system and the clam rocks back and forth in the current a bit. i was considering moving it onto a clam hammock or similar device but it’s attached to the bottom and I didn’t want to injure it by removing it. Should I just leave it there or try to move it? It looks healthy in the current location. Thanks

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a derasa clam that’s being doing great for about 6 months. I placed it on a low lying rock initially but about a month ago it was blown or moved itself onto the bottom of the tank. I have ABS textured plastic on the bottom which it’s attached to. It’s a pretty high flow system and the clam rocks back and forth in the current a bit. i was considering moving it onto a clam hammock or similar device but it’s attached to the bottom and I didn’t want to injure it by removing it. Should I just leave it there or try to move it? It looks healthy in the current location. Thanks
If it has moved and attached then its probably happy in that spot. I wouldn't bother moving it

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had Derasa on bare bottom tanks and cutting board for many years without a problem. Before breaking down the tank, the Derasa grew from 3" to 8"
As the clam grew, it no longer attached using a byssal thread but had enough girth to stay solidly upright.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 43.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back