Design app?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MartinM
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 26, 2021
Messages
1,288
Reaction score
1,129
Location
Japan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know of a design app for iPad for drawing/designing a custom aquarium and plumbing that can be used by someone who most definitely isn’t a designer (aka me)? Thanks!
 
I've used Shaper3D on my iPad, but it's not something that a total beginner would be able to pick up and start designing complex things immediately, but its more user friendly than CAD. Not designed for aquariums specifically, but it's great with layering and building things out to scale. There is a free version, but unfortunately I cannot recall what features are limited. It is designed around use with the Apple Pencil, so something to keep in mind..

With this in mind, I have personally found that the most effective method of mapping things out is with good old paper and pencil. You don't need to be an artist to make good plans, just a couple of pieces of paper, a pencil, and a ruler if you're feeling spicy.
 
It's not free and maybe overkill for a "one time" use but, SketchUp makes a version for iPad. It also has a little bit of a learning curve but, much easier than CAD or SolidWorks.

https://www.sketchup.com/products/sketchup-for-ipad
I'm just suggesting as I use Adobe Illustrator as well and in conjunction with SketchUp to design all my aquarium builds as well as other non aquarium related projects.

...or just go old school and draw it out. I do that too. I've attached some examples of both.

img001.jpg img002.jpg img003.jpg img004.jpg img005.jpg img006.jpg img007.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 31 30.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new