Designing a new tank - what do you wished you had done differently?

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello from the UK!

Ordering a new 4 foot x 2 foot x 2 foot tank, got a lot of input in the the layout and design, I wanted to pick your collective brains.

What do you wished you had done differently? Overflow vs Weir? Different sump design? etc.

I'm thinking of moving from the Calcium reactor (I have at the minute) and moving to the Triton method. Should I buy a specific acrylic sump or have the manufacturers that are local make a sump to the Triton layout?

Just curious at this stage.

Advice welcome.

Jon M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had spent the money on a good sump. One with line holders, covers, proper layout for skimmer and refugium. And potentially room for growth. I’d get a sump for the Triton method even if you don’t do the method. Hard to move the sump once its up and running.

ryeguyy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I epoxy coated my stand or at least put down a few layers of latex paint. I've had a few spills over the years cleanup sucks.

I've been using standard glass tanks for sumps since I started and I think they are fine. I can't bring myself to pay $400 for a sump when I can make one exactly how I want it for way less. Maybe I'm cheap but I'd rather put the money toward other equipment or coral.

Lukas75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly if I had something to change about my current set-up I would have taken my time, saved up more money and relocated my sump into the basement.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had it planned out from my last tank design, but I became stupid while plumbing for this tank and forgot to do it.
I was going to add a T with a gate valve in my line from the tank to the sump. This would have given me a location I could have just set a bucket, opened the valve and drained for a quick water change.. atlas.... I'm dumb and didn't do it

jent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I epoxy coated my stand or at least put down a few layers of latex paint. I've had a few spills over the years cleanup sucks.

I have tried to coat the insides of my stands before and have not found a coating that works well long term. If you have recommendations I would love to hear them!

What I have found that has worked well is stapling thick plastic around the inside of the stand. Or in my new setup I am using BRS neoprene to cover the bottom and curl up a couple inches around the sides.

jent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and in reply to the OP....In my rebuild I wamted to make things easier. One big thing was a skimmer collection vessel with a float switch to solve the rare but frustrating skimmer overflow.

I also went with an exterior overflow which helped with interior space more than I expected, it was a huge benefit going with a stealth / tidal overflow.

ryeguyy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried epoxy? Like what's use on garage floors? That's what I was thinking of trying, without the flakes though

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried to coat the insides of my stands before and have not found a coating that works well long term. If you have recommendations I would love to hear them!

What I have found that has worked well is stapling thick plastic around the inside of the stand. Or in my new setup I am using BRS neoprene to cover the bottom and curl up a couple inches around the sides.

I used a PVC shower pan liner like this

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get why a lot of people like the look of rimless, but it does create a maintenance issue. It's not easy to keep them clean and perfect looking, but for some it's worth it.

Lukas75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get why a lot of people like the look of rimless, but it does create a maintenance issue. It's not easy to keep them clean and perfect looking, but for some it's worth it.
I agree, but I also agree that for me euro bracing is a perfectly acceptable compromise. Just as long as that plastic brace isn't there. All of my current tanks have it and I can't stand it, so I guess add that to my list of what I would have done differently! ;Hilarious

Islandreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the biggest thing I wish I knew about were bulk head wrenches! I dont mean the cheap ones that come with overflow kit but the good ones that go over the entire bulk head that allow you to grip it tight. I THOUGHT my bulk heads were tight and once I did my water test found that they were not, I was hard plumbing in, and needed to cut the PVC, buy a Sleeve type wrench to get it over the PVC add a coupler and tighten it down. in my opinion a must have in my reef tool box going forward.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
External overflow. Finally did one on my current tank. It is amazing how much better getting the appropriate flow and much more room to play with in the display.

I also second the euro bracing comments.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
External overflow.. I hate how much room the pedestal takes up
Bean Animal configuration.. I hate having to tune my herbie every few weeks and it makes me nervous when I have to leave it.
Stand/Sump/Room placement - I'd kill for a stand at least a foot wider than my tank.. maybe two feet wider. I'd probably go 6" - 1' taller than standard as well. In-stand sump this allows easy sump access and removal for a good cleaning. I'd personally go basement sump next time and use all that stand space for storage, mounting controllers, maybe even a fancy display fuge or a small, separate, qt tank.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My top three things:

1. Reef ready tanks stink - go for a good quality ghost-style overflow. Sooooo much better.
2. Basement fish/sump room - not always possible, but boy does all that extra space come in handy (particularly for really big tanks).
3. Oversize the sump - I would never buy a commercial sump, other than being overpriced, I think they all stink too LOL. DiY is the way to go.

Back