OP
OP
Kongar

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I have a very similar build but with brute cans and I’m using an extra Varios return pump. The issue I’m having is when my pump goes dry it shuts off. I have the salt bin plumbed with a return pipe going to the bottom of the bin to assist with mixing. So when that pump shuts off, if I’m not there to catch it immediately, it back siphons. I don’t really want to buy a new pump. I’m wondering if I should just cut the return line above the water so it can’t siphon. Not sure how that will do with mixing. What do you think?
Cutting that return line above the water line absolutely will solve the siphoning issue. That’s what I’d do. My return lines go 2/3 of the way down into the tank and have angled ends. It’s great for mixing as I get a whirlpool effect in the tank - but it sucks for siphoning. Based on your picture - I would imagine you’d get the same mixing effect if you cut it.

The other option is to just drill a small hole at the very end of that return pipe. Maybe not straight up so it doesn’t shoot everywhere, but angled down, but above the water line? That’ll break the siphon too.

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cutting that return line above the water line absolutely will solve the siphoning issue. That’s what I’d do. My return lines go 2/3 of the way down into the tank and have angled ends. It’s great for mixing as I get a whirlpool effect in the tank - but it sucks for siphoning. Based on your picture - I would imagine you’d get the same mixing effect if you cut it.

The other option is to just drill a small hole at the very end of that return pipe. Maybe not straight up so it doesn’t shoot everywhere, but angled down, but above the water line? That’ll break the siphon too.
Thanks! Do you think a siphon break hole would immediately stop the siphon or would I still have a small amount of back flow in the RO? I was also considering check valves

OP
OP
Kongar

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’ll immediately stop the siphon so you won’t pull salt tank water back to your rodi unit. Whatever is in the line will still backflow - but I’m thinking that’s just rodi water in your use case so it’s ok.

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’ll immediately stop the siphon so you won’t pull salt tank water back to your rodi unit. Whatever is in the line will still backflow - but I’m thinking that’s just rodi water in your use case so it’s ok.
Yea that will be RODI water (or salt if the salt bin is mixing) but what’s in the line still would back flow even if I cut the line. I’ll give the siphon break a shot. Thanks for saving me 90 bucks on check valves!

afternoondelight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
Here’s my detailed plans with a parts list for a saltwater mixing station project I just completed. It isn’t anything novel, but I thought a shopping list along with some tips and tricks would be appreciated. Basically I built a sturdy stand out of 2x4s and plywood and painted it white. This was put into a small closet next to my fish tank. 2 plastic tanks go on top, plastic bins go underneath for storage (salt, testing kits, hoses, etc). The plumbing accomplishes the following: circulate within either tank, transfer from one tank to another, pump out from either tank through a flexible hose (water change & ato reservoir fillup). Inside the tanks, there are angled outlets to provide a mixing function as well. Obviously the rodi tank has an additional float valve accepting clean rodi.

The hand written plans (I’ll type up the parts list so you don’t have to read my messy handwriting):
IMG_8230.jpeg

The final product:
IMG_8233.jpeg

The inside plumbing (missing the elbow on the inlet)
IMG_8207.jpeg

It comes apart into 2 tanks, and three major pipe sections. It’s pretty easy to break down and move (for cleaning and whatnot)
IMG_8214.jpeg

IMG_8213.jpeg

IMG_8212.jpeg

IMG_8206.jpeg

IMG_8205.jpeg
Nicely done my good man!!

OP
OP
Kongar

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nicely done my good man!!
Thank you! It’s been almost a year and it’s still my favorite piece of gear. Water changes have been so easy and quick compared to what I used to do with buckets. Nothing has broken, and everything is holding together nicely.

afternoondelight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! It’s been almost a year and it’s still my favorite piece of gear. Water changes have been so easy and quick compared to what I used to do with buckets. Nothing has broken, and everything is holding together nicely.
Sweet plan and solid execution! Thanks for the very detailed before, during and after reporting.
I have a question for you… I noticed on some people's plan they don't have the pipe coming in from the top of their RODI container, just into the saltwater container. Do you do that so that you can circulate your RODI water or is there some other operation or use for that plumbing? How far does that pipe go down into the container with the opposing 45° angle pieces? Did you incorporate any kind of sediment filter on your system? I have heard some horror stories about stuff getting blocked up with particulate matter from the salt mixes so I'm going to add one to mine but this planning phase (and certainly the purchasing) has been driving me to some sleepless nights… Lol! And that's not even talking about what I've spent on the tank and all the other stuff!!! I'm going to have to sell my boat to pay for my aquarium hobby

OP
OP
Kongar

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a return pipe into the top of the rodi container for a couple of reasons. 1) so I CAN flow into that tank - although that rarely happens. 2) if I wanted to make salt water in that tank, or both tanks at the same time - I could. (Effectively doubling my salt water holding amount). But I never do this either. It’s just a little future proofing if I get a bigger tank and need to make more saltwater. The 3rd reason is one I actually do use each time. While I wish I had a bigger pump for mixing purposes - it’s still quite a bit of flow for filling up my little 5 gallon ato. It’s handy to just recirculate rodi, and then just open the valve for the flex hose. This way I get a fraction of the total flow and it’s not trying to fill a Dixie cup with a firehose. ;)

How far down. Umm I don’t have an exact measurement but it’s about a foot and a half ish down into the tank. Slightly above the midway point.

Zero sediment filter stuff. With the 90 degree elbow on the bottom intake bulkhead (which only has about a 1/4 to 1/3 inch gap between it and the tank bottom) it does a pretty good job of sucking crap off the bottom of the tank and mixing it. Example: when I throw salt in, the pump sucks it all right up off the bottom and I can hear it churning away in the pump. Probably not great for the pump head but whatever. Point is: sediment doesn’t accumulate / hasn’t accumulated on the bottom of my tank over time. I can take a picture of this elbow not this weekend, but next when I do my next water change (and that tank will be empty then)

It’s been a year now and the right salt tank is just now starting to get a little brown on the inside - time to take it apart and scrub it outside with a garden hose. But nothing has built up on the bottom, or clogged up anywhere. The left rodi tank looks the same as it did on day 1.

If you want more closeup pictures or videos or measurements just let me know and I’ll be happy to post them for you.

afternoondelight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a return pipe into the top of the rodi container for a couple of reasons. 1) so I CAN flow into that tank - although that rarely happens. 2) if I wanted to make salt water in that tank, or both tanks at the same time - I could. (Effectively doubling my salt water holding amount). But I never do this either. It’s just a little future proofing if I get a bigger tank and need to make more saltwater. The 3rd reason is one I actually do use each time. While I wish I had a bigger pump for mixing purposes - it’s still quite a bit of flow for filling up my little 5 gallon ato. It’s handy to just recirculate rodi, and then just open the valve for the flex hose. This way I get a fraction of the total flow and it’s not trying to fill a Dixie cup with a firehose. ;)

How far down. Umm I don’t have an exact measurement but it’s about a foot and a half ish down into the tank. Slightly above the midway point.

Zero sediment filter stuff. With the 90 degree elbow on the bottom intake bulkhead (which only has about a 1/4 to 1/3 inch gap between it and the tank bottom) it does a pretty good job of sucking crap off the bottom of the tank and mixing it. Example: when I throw salt in, the pump sucks it all right up off the bottom and I can hear it churning away in the pump. Probably not great for the pump head but whatever. Point is: sediment doesn’t accumulate / hasn’t accumulated on the bottom of my tank over time. I can take a picture of this elbow not this weekend, but next when I do my next water change (and that tank will be empty then)

It’s been a year now and the right salt tank is just now starting to get a little brown on the inside - time to take it apart and scrub it outside with a garden hose. But nothing has built up on the bottom, or clogged up anywhere. The left rodi tank looks the same as it did on day 1.

If you want more closeup pictures or videos or measurements just let me know and I’ll be happy to post them for you.
I thought I replied earlier, but I seriously can't thank you enough for the responses. My tanks just showed up today and I am looking forward to working on my mixing station next week when I get back from a trip. Thanks brother....I will hit you up if o have questions

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back