Determining Pump / Size

  • Thread starter Thread starter Briko03
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Briko03

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 31, 2014
Messages
125
Reaction score
5
Location
United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank I am building and I am trying to decide which pump to order. The tank is a 60 gallon rimless marineland which has 1" bulkheads and has a 20 gallon sump beneath. The height of the tank is 57" with the return coming out slightly below that. I plan on adding a check valve and ball valve to the return if they will fit. As of right now I am leaning towards the EHEIM brand but that is up for discussion of course. This is the first time I've planned a sump tank from scratch. (I have set up others with equipment purchased in packages before).
 
You want a pump that will do about 300 gph after head losses. Thumbs down on the check valve though.
 
High flow Sump/Fuge guy here of many years and would personally run 600-800 or more GPH through it. I also run Check Valves in vertical position only and have never had any issues from and like that they keep the return plumbing nearly full for restarts. I do though have a siphon break on return inside Display. The merits or benefits of high flow sumps greatly out weigh the trickle ways of past. Everything performs better in this higher flow rate, Skimmers and Reactors get dirtier water to process, Macro Algae is cleaner and healthier thus able to absorb nutrients better, higher consentrations of oxygenated water throughout for better reproduction and bio-diversity in Fuge/Sump. I currently run 1050 gph through my 75g Sump/Fuge and ran about 850gph through a 20g sump on my 50g DT for many years. Different approaches to this from different people but the science/physics support higher flow rates and 25 plus years in doing so for me.


Cheers, Todd
 
Last edited:
I run two tanks. My 125 I do 10x through the sump. My 40 I have 5x, even though it seems less.

Although my 125 has a wide sump (40b) I had the same pump on my 90 with 29g sump.

I personally like more the more flow. I've been thinking of increasing the flow on my 40.

I'm not here to make a debate of slow vs fast flow though sumps, but my personal experience I like a lot of flow.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new